How to duplicate a worldspace with all objects? (in FO4Edit)

There's almost certainly a list search or sort or something similar that scales poorly. It's fine for smaller numbers of items, but really quickly goes from "acceptable" to "I'm not sure this is ever going to finish!" (Anyone who's done enough CompSci study to understand big-O knows what I'm talking about.)

For each record that gets renamed, it prints out lots of information on the "messages" thing ...

So it only processes about 1 cell every 3 seconds ...

And the commonwealth worldspace is very large. Only a little bit of it is the actual "playabel area", there is lots of just "landscape" around it.

So I expect it to take some time ...

(It is still running ...)

(You know what would be bad right now? A windows update ... That would just restart the PC and I woudl have to do it all over again ... Or if the electrical grid went down, or something like that ...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I had to close FO4Edit a few times (because I was updating Fallout4 ...) and I had to restart this "renumbering IDs" process...

I know why it is taking so long:

FO4Edit only "does stuff" when it is actually "open", so when the FO4Edit-window is minimized, it stops doing stuff and just sits there ....

So it does not "run in the background" .....

It does, but it works in the UI thread. So if your system suspends UI of background apps for whatever reason then it will stop obviously.

So, the solution would be to use a second monitor and let it run on that, while I use the "main screen" to do other stuff, like playing Fallout4, working on mods, etc..... ?

Right?

Anything that uses CPU in the background?

No, (except FO4Edit) the only things that are "in the background" are the things that I am currently not working on (3D modeling, ... / uses mostly RAM when it is "in the background").

Maybe every few days, the anti virus does some stuff ....

But I am not "rendering stuff" in the background or anything like that .....

The only "CPU heavy stuff" that I do is not done "in the background" (playing FO4, using the FO4 CK, 3D modeling, working on textures, basically normal "modding stuff")

So ....

FO4Edit just finished renaming all the references, after running for about 4 days ...

I loaded the esp with the copied worldspace in the CK and ......

... almost no static objects got "copied" in the duplicated worldspace.

The landscape is there, some markers, the LOD meshes of the city buildings, but almost no "static objects" got copied over.

What am I doing wrong here?

Or how can I get this to work?

Is it really THAT hard to just duplicate a worldspace with EVERYTHING in it?

(especially static objects and doors and things like that)

I just opened that esp file again in FO4Edit, and according to that, all of the static objects are in the cells.

It's like the CreationKit does not "see" them ....

What is going on here?

EDIT:

Some cells (mostly those in the city) have the static objects in them, others (AbernathyFarm, Concord, Sanctuary hills...) do not.

This is so weird ...

Edited by YouDoNotKnowMyName

"Is it really THAT hard to just duplicate a worldspace with EVERYTHING in it?"

Yes, everything involving a new worldspace creation (either from scratch or duplication) is one of the hardest tasks. You can't just copy worldspace in xEdit and expect it to work as is. This requires a lot of additional clean up postprocessing by someone who knows very well how the engine works.

"Is it really THAT hard to just duplicate a worldspace with EVERYTHING in it?"

Yes, everything involving a new worldspace creation (either from scratch or duplication) is one of the hardest tasks. You can't just copy worldspace in xEdit and expect it to work as is. This requires a lot of additional clean up postprocessing by someone who knows very well how the engine works.

Ok, but where / how can I learn about that stuff?

Are there any tutorials for doing this kind of thing?

The only things I have found so far are tutorials for creating a worldspace from a heightmap or to "manually sculp" the landscape in the CK.

But so far I have not really found anything about "completely duplicating" a worldpspace.

To be clear:

I don't need / want things like the X markers of the actor references in my "copied worldspace".

Just the landscape, all the statics, doors (would have to be "re-assigned" to link to other interior cells then the original ones, of course), things like trees and such ...

In the meantime, I will try something else:

The landscape gets duplicated without problems, so that's good.

I think I will just go thorugh and manually "copy" all of the static stuff from the commonwealth worldspace into my "commonwealth duplicate" worldspace.

That will take some time, but maybe it will work ....