[LE] Adding a master to an .esp

Okay, so I'm working on my first mod and I'm doing my level best, but I'm completely lost. I'm trying to make a .esp file a requirement for another .esp and I have no idea what I'm doing. I have SSEEdit, but quite frankly I'm in over my head and google isn't much help (I'm probably googling the wrong phrases but I don't know what the right ones are). Somebody please help? Links, advice, anything constructive would be greatly appreciated.

Slow down there cowboy.

I've got a question for you, why do you have 2 .esp(s) for 1 mod?

There is no real way to make an .esp require another. I have yet to upload, so I will give you the best knowledge I have.

If they need eachother to work, then try to pack them together when you ship em. I am not sure if Bethesda.net will let you do that, so you can always try to release them separately and make them dependencies or titles them (part 1), (part 2) ..etc.

In general though, there should be no need to do this.

Don't do that with Xedit, load your required .esp in the CK, create your mod, save it and the CK will automatically make the first one a requirement for your mod to load. The CK is actually much easier to deal with than Xedit if you're new at all this.

Don't do that with Xedit, load your required .esp in the CK, create your mod, save it and the CK will automatically make the first one a requirement for your mod to load. The CK is actually much easier to deal with than Xedit if you're new at all this.

The Skyrim LE CK won't do that. LE CK doesn't have the Creation Kit fixes mod that allows it to use ESP files as masters. If the OP were to do as suggested, at best they would have duplicated records in their plugin and at worst they would have missing records.

The ESP intended to be the parent master needs to have the internal flag flipped to tell the CK that it is an ESM rather than an ESP. Both XEdit and Wrye Bash can be used to do this. I prefer Wrye Bash. XEdit requires knowing exactly what field in the header section needs to be modified.

At any rate, in WB right click on the intended parent master and select "ESMIFY". This moves the plugin to the master file section of the load order and can now be used as a parent master. Make whatever changes needed to include it as a parent master. When ready to test in game, be sure to use WB again and "ESPIFY" the parent master so that it can be treated as an ESP again. Fix load order as necessary. This is to make sure that your testing is utilizing the same files that your users would be using.

Thank you guys so much. I hope this will help. I wanted to do a few character edits using KS Hairdos, and I don't have permission to use the assets so I thought if I ever publish the mod I would just have it as a dependency. That's what I'm trying to achieve, and hopefully it can go smoothly from here.

Knock on wood.

Edit: God, I'm an idiot. They allow reupload of resources as long as you link to the page and credit them. How did I miss that when I read through the last few times?

The Skyrim LE CK won't do that.

Really? I coud have sworn I did it several times creating extensions to my own mods in my oldRim CK - but I'll take your word against mine anytime, IsharaMeradin :) Thanks for correcting me!

@ myrrhmyrrh: sorry if I've misleading you in any way, that was an honest mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.