Help creating a vanilla replacer

Okay, I'm going to begin by saying I don't have a singular clue what I'm doing aside from bare bones modding. This project is significantly harder than I had anticipated, but I refuse to give up. So, my questions are as follows:

1. What types of files do I need to make absolutely certain the hair works? The files already exist in the KS Hairdos mod, but I need to know what I'm looking for so I don't break it. I plan to link and cite, as specified on the mod page.

2. Is there any avoiding the grey face bug once I apply the mod? How do I kill that bug?

3. The tactics I've tried so far, just using CK to change the hair and trying to make it dependent on KS Hairdos for the data, either produce a grey face and no change in hair or the hair doesn't actually show up like it's supposed to. It switches to the race default. What am I doing wrong?

4. How do I then refit specific hats (possibly using bodyslide) to avoid clipping with the hair?

I recognize that I'm in way over my head. At the same time, this is an opportunity for me to learn a great deal that might be useful in the future, and any help given will earn my undying gratitude. I'd promise more if I had it to offer.

All I'll say is that I admire you for trying to do 'hair'.

Worst thing to go for. It's tied to all sorts, and it wrecks even more.

Also, but this is just personal, hair mods can totally screw up all manner of things in the vanilla game. Some of the most popular (I won't name them) mess up the game. I removed every single 'Hair Mod', because of problems. I never play with a 'Hair Mod' installed, because of the mess they make of the game.

If you can crack it and make it work, fair-play to you!

Thanks for the encouragement! I need it. I'm sitting here in horror, currently, staring at the meshes folder. I don't know if I can metaphorically find my rear with both hands at this point. I may switch over to a different mod idea for a while if I can't figure this out and come back to it when I understand what I'm looking at. I feel like a dog watching a human type an essay on astrophysics.