Mod Managers

Apis4

Whats the best, in terms simplicity and intuitiveness for a modding novice, Mod Manager to use? I've heard about Nexus Mod Manager, all good thing too, but I know there's others. Are any of them particularly better than NMM?

Where do I download any of these? I cant find them on the Nexus.

Nexus Mod manager is on github now:

https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Nexus-Mod-Manager/releases

Mod Organizer 2 (MO2) can be found here on the Nexus:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6194

A link to Vortex is at the bottom of literally every Nexus mod page. But here you go:

https://www.nexusmods.com/about/vortex/?

The easiest tool to use is probably Nexus Mod Manager (NMM). The downside is that it only offers basic functionality. If you dive deeper into modding, you may miss some of the advanced features the other two have to offer.

Both MO 2 and Vortex need some time to get used to them, but are much more powerful modding tools. One of their main advantages is that both give you thorough control over what files are installed.

To give you an example: You got two texture replacers, that (partly) modify the same objects in game. Now you want the farmhouse roofs and the Imperial Forts form Mod A, but the landscape changes from mod B. In NMM you're out of luck now - you can only completely overwrite Mod A with Mod B or vice versa. With MO 2 and Vortex you could get your favourite combination of textures. Both let you specify which files from two or more conflicting mods you want to use. There are a lot of other advantages of MO2 / Vortex, but I don't want to get too much into technical details here...

My recommendation is to use MO 2 or Vortex - even if you may encounter a somewhat steeper learning curve at the beginning. I deliberately won't recommend one of the two more advanced mod managers over the other. There have been heated debates about which mod manager to use on these forums and I don't want to start something like that again. I'm using Vortex, but MO 2 is an excellent choice, too. Decide for yourself. Maybe have a brief look a tutorial videos and see what you like more.

Hey Algabar, my hero yet again I see. Ha!

Ok mate, thanks heaps.

TBH I might go with NMM for now, simply because I want to get back playing ASAP, and whilst I'm familiar with manual mod installation from my Smis2 modding days, I am trying to avoid a big learning curve. By the time I am confident enough for MO2 or Vortex, I'll probably be confident enough for manual installing anyway lol.

So I'll see if I can give my SE virgin start through normal means, as you said from the other thread, then see if SKSE then works, and if I nut out my issues, I'll come grab NMM!

Thank you so much.

OK people, so I got NMM, and discovered to make it work, I need to make sure I have write privileges on my computer.

I followed a tutorial on how to do that, and my AntiVirus refused to comply, and I could not get write privileges over it, so could not make new 'Everyone" enabled master control profile for Write privileges, and so I am figuring NMM is useless to me now.

So, two questions.

1) Does anyone have any ways they know to overcome this initial problem with gaining write permissions?

or

2) Does MO2 or Vrtx require the same thing, or would they be better options because I wont need to fight my AntV and W10 to get permissions to allow them to function?

You can try to avoid some of the permission requirements by making sure that the game is not installed in the Program Files directory. That is the default location for Steam and subsequently all games installed through Steam. You may have to move your Steam installation unless you have a second drive where you can add a Steam Library and then just move the game through the Steam interface to that library location. But to be safe, whatever drive contains the game should also be where the mod manager is installed.

And we must not forget that Wrye Bash can also be used as a mod manager and not just a bashed patch creator. Tho it probably has the steepest learning curve of them all.

Just guessing now.... Where did you install NMM?

In general, you should NEVER install games or anything related to games into the "program files (x86)" folder on your system drive (i.e. the drive where your installation of Windows sits - usually C:).

Reason is that Windows kinda treats said folder like a system folder, which results in various access problems. Mod managers are especially "critical" applications, since by their nature, they change installed files. Something Windows isn't fond of, when it comes to system folders or similar locations...

Always install games and anything related to them in a separate folder (outside "program files (x86)", e.g. C:/Games/...).

Regarding NMM: Meanwhile NMM is developed and maintained by a rather small group of enthusiasts. I highly doubt they have any "official" certificates or something. So you might have to cklick through some warnings from Windows to install the software. This shouldn't lead to severe issues regarding access and permissions though...

EDIT: Too slow.... :sick:

Ok yeah, STEAM installed in Programe Files (x86)

What do I do to change that?

OK NMM works now.

However, I see a lot of Mods using Vortex, does that mean I need to use it? Or will other mod managers be compatible, ergo, can I click on Vortex downloads have it use NMM in lieu of Vortex?

Edited by Apis4

So I just made another folder in C\, called Games, and closed Steam, then just moved my entire Steam folder, including SSE, in to that new directory file.

It seems to work. Unless there's some reason it doesnt work that way, I think I am good now.

Thank you both. I'll see if I can run NMM now.