Need some help with the error: "An exception occurred in the script"

MojaveMailman88

I'd like some help solving a new problem I've encountered with NMM. Whenever I try to install and activate a mod i get the error: "An exception occurred in the script". I have already tried enabling shell extensions for 7z, .rar and .zip. as others online have suggested. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

As of 08 May 2018, the Nexus has changed some site security to come into compliance with the new "European Union General Data Protection Regulation" (EU GDPR) rules. This breaks older versions of NMM and other tools using the older unsecured API. It is usually reported as being "blocked by the Windows firewall" or causing a "script" or "W3C XML Schema" error installing mods. You will need to update it from NMM on GitHub. Check the version numbers between those sites and use the latest release. Please see this Nexus site news article for details.

As of 13 May 2019 all "workarounds" that depend upon continued use of the old API will no longer function. That API has been removed, as previously announced more than two years ago. This includes but is not limited to:
* Nexus Mod Manager v0.65.11 and lower
* Mod Organiser 2 v2.1 and lower
* Mod Organizer 1
This only affects their ability to login to and automate the download from the Nexus site. You can still use them to "manage" your plugins with downloaded mods.

Some people are finding that even after updating NMM they still get a "script exception" message when installing some mods (such as UIO and MCM). This seems to be resolved by this suggestion from user ElysianMod:
* Run NMM as an "Administrator privileges" account.
* Go to NMM "Settings" (the "double wheeled gear" icon on the menu bar).
* Enable "Add Shell Extensions for Supported File Types".
* Then restart NMM. (You should not need "Administrator privileges" this time.)
(Supposedly this fix is included in update v0.65.12 and later to NMM on GitHub.)

Bottom line: make sure you have updated your manager version. If you still believe you have a problem with an updated NMM, report it as a bug to the GitHub project team.

-Dubious-