Random freezes and crashes

I've been having random freezes and crashes for New Vegas for a while now. A lot of them involve some strange graphical issues. For example, in some instances, all of the ambient noise except for the music becomes muted and a few seconds later freezes up. Other issues include the music in the intro screen stuttering and jittering.

MY specs are...

PC Specs

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB

Processor: Intel® Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59GHz

Graphics: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970m

Screen Res: 1920x1080

Disk Space: 198GB free of 931GB

Game specs

Graphics Adapter: GEFORCE 970M

Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen

Resolution: 1920x1080

Antialiasing: Off

Anisotropic Filtering: Off

Detail: Medium

Vertical Sync: Off

Windowed: No

Screen Effects: None

NVAC: Installed

NVSE: Installed

4GB: Installed

Edited by urcousinvinnie5

As pointed out, we need more detail. But based solely upon the described symptoms you seem to have an "audio" system problem:

* The game has "memory leaks", primarily linked to the audio system due to the version of the Ogg Vorbis Libraries used by Bethesda. Getting 2-3 hours before a CTD is pretty good. The audio problem is fixed by using the updated "Ogg Vorbis Libraries" posted by Kane Wright. You might also want to try using the tool "CleanMem", which periodically (you can set the interval; default is every 15 minutes) tells the OS to perform it's built-in "clean up" of memory. It has a "mini-monitor" that displays memory usage. Doesn't seem to hurt and might help.

In the meantime, please see the 'Vanilla Load Order' entry in the 'First Timer Advice' section; and the 'Common Game Problems' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

If the problem persists, then see either the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' or the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' sections in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last did so. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned". It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine. It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together.

-Dubious-

T

As pointed out, we need more detail. But based solely upon the described symptoms you seem to have an "audio" system problem:

* The game has "memory leaks", primarily linked to the audio system due to the version of the Ogg Vorbis Libraries used by Bethesda. Getting 2-3 hours before a CTD is pretty good. The audio problem is fixed by using the updated "Ogg Vorbis Libraries" posted by Kane Wright. You might also want to try using the tool "CleanMem", which periodically (you can set the interval; default is every 15 minutes) tells the OS to perform it's built-in "clean up" of memory. It has a "mini-monitor" that displays memory usage. Doesn't seem to hurt and might help.

In the meantime, please see the 'Vanilla Load Order' entry in the 'First Timer Advice' section; and the 'Common Game Problems' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

If the problem persists, then see either the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' or the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' sections in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last did so. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned". It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine. It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together.

-Dubious-

The problem is these freezes and crashes don't happen within the span of an hour. They happen almost every 10 to 15 minutes. It's not really a full-on CTD either. It's more like the game freezes and I have to exit the game myself when it doesn't respond.