Crash to desktop upon death!

Maicol0815

Well, the title kinda says it all. Every time I die Skyrim crashes to the desktop, it just exits the game. I have no idea why and I've removed non-steamworkshop mods though it did not help. And I certainly do NOT want to reinstall. Because if I do that I'll have to reinstall all the mods and s***. Just annoying. These things should not happen.

Anyone know how to fix this?

/Thanks in advance

If after the CTD you can load Skyrim and your last save... well it's annoying but not a big problem ^^, sometimes it happen to me too (and pratically to all one i think, Bethesda make wonderful games, but concerning their stability....well you know!).

I don't think there's a way to avoid it: maybe using BOSS for load order (but paying attention to some mods, whom don't have the right position in BOSS masterlist such realistic light and a few other, the most of them advised in their description) could decrease the CTDs but not eliminate them at all.

There are utilities on nexus whom promise miracles.. but onestly, reading comments, were they solve some problems than they'll create new ones

I read articles for increasing windows and Skyrim stability, but the most are very hard and if you don't know very well what you are doing you could take more damage than vantage, and in any case the benefit aren't so large to worth the risk and effort.

The only real suggestion i can give you is avoid quick and auto save whom sometimes could give corruption problems (but there are people who never experience them, so it's random) and obviously you could try to keep alive, at the end you are the damn F...ing DragonBorn :tongue:

Edited by Jodi79

Thanks for the response, I might remove some mods for decreased crash upon death. And yes I could try to keep alive, but it's not easy against a draugr deathlord on Expert :/ Edited by Maicol0815

• 9 months later...

Just to make some things clear that weren't answered.

1) Crash to desktop upon death even without mods? That is a bunch of bull! Never happened to me when I got the game, but happens now-a-days (even after I completely uninstalled the entire game plus the mods (removed every single little file)) This is not supposed to happen, there's something wrong with a patch or something and wasn't fixed in any later one, that has to be the case, only that no one sees it because everybody uses mods...

2) Load order has something to do with CTD but only if you're launching the game (what I've understood from reading over 100 pages on this matter as well as CTD upon launch pages).

3) It's pretty hard not to die if you play on legendary and 1 power attack from a bandit with an iron warhammer kills you...

Summary: This has nothing to do with mods if you've uninstalled them, uninstalled the game, manually deleted every single file and it still crashes after you installed only the game...

So at some point they have to come up with an universal fix for it. I mean they are the creators of the bloody game, they SHOULD know what they're doing. And I don't remember them working on a project at the moment...

This is a BIG problem, yes you can just launch it again but what if you're streaming or recording videos... You should be able to do this without having crashes!

And it's not only a big problem, it's a bloody ANNOYING problem!

I don't care if they have to disable the entire game from use for a month or two, just get it bloody fixed!

Edited by Maicol0815

Just to make some things clear that weren't answered.

1) Crash to desktop upon death even without mods? That is a bunch of bull! Never happened to me when I got the game, but happens now-a-days (even after I completely uninstalled the entire game plus the mods (removed every single little file)) This is not supposed to happen, there's something wrong with a patch or something and wasn't fixed in any later one, that has to be the case, only that no one sees it because everybody uses mods...

There is nothing wrong with the official game patches. Or rather, nothing that causes game breaking bugs on par with CTDs every time you die. Mods have caused this issue. It's just a fact. Whether you uninstall all your mods and even the game, if you're loading the same save then you're troubleshooting wrong. This will not happen if you create a fresh character, with no mods installed after a full, proper uninstall of the game. If it does, you weren't thorough enough when you uninstalled your mods or your game.

When a mod loaded into your game, its papyrus scripts are written into your save file itself. Many mods, such as texture replacements, basic armour/weapon mods, or the simplest of followers contain no scripts, and can thus be safely removed from a game with little to no risk. Other mods, however, rely heavily on scripts to achieve their purpose. These scripts are written into the save itself, and cannot be removed. Even when the mod they came from is uninstalled, their scripts have already integrated themselves into your save. And it might take minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months for it to become an issue. And you may get lucky and never have an issue. But more often than not these wayward scripts cause issues eventually, and there's little that can be done beyond scrapping the character and starting again.

It blows, but it's part of modding.

2) Load order has something to do with CTD but only if you're launching the game (what I've understood from reading over 100 pages on this matter as well as CTD upon launch pages).

Not entirely true. While load order issues are indeed the primary cause of CTDs upon booting the game, improperly sorted plugins can and do lead to problems and even crashes while in game as well, usually due to dirty edits - one plugin makes changes to an area, and one loaded after it reverts them to vanilla because while it contains no actual edits from vanilla was still flagged as edited by the CK.

3) It's pretty hard not to die if you play on legendary and 1 power attack from a bandit with an iron warhammer kills you...

Don't let him hit you.

Summary: This has nothing to do with mods if you've uninstalled them, uninstalled the game, manually deleted every single file and it still crashes after you installed only the game...

If you're still loading the same save to test the issue then you're doing it wrong.

This is a BIG problem, yes you can just launch it again but what if you're streaming or recording videos... You should be able to do this without having crashes!

And it's not only a big problem, it's a bloody ANNOYING problem!

I don't care if they have to disable the entire game from use for a month or two, just get it bloody fixed!

The bottom line is if this were an issue with the game itself then there would have been many other reports of it, and a fix would have been generated by the modding community. There has not been, either here at the Nexus, at the Bethesda forums, or anywhere else that I'm aware of. This is an issue that you, and you alone, are experiencing. You've done a lot of good things to troubleshoot the issue, but unfortunately the only way to resolve it would be to either figure out which mods you've removed from the save and reinstall each of them (a time consuming and often frustrating process that doesn't always correct the issue); or you can start a new game, and be more careful about removing mods while playing that character. ie Don't uninstall mods mid-playthrough unless you know for sure that doing so is 100% safe (which it almost never is).

Thank you very much, Hyacathusarullistad. Thi s has helped me look at everything in new perspective. But in the future I think Bethesda (since their games are so "modable" and people ove to mod them) should make so there becomes different save files for the different mods. So that every mod has to have a way to identify itself. This way when you load the original game save all saves are loaded together, if a mod does not exist anymore then you can chose to unload it and have it deleted. Bethesda should really make their games "made for modding".

Thanks again, peace out

• 9 months later...

i crash upon death to here is my load order

GameMode=Skyrim
Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp=1
Falskaar.esm=1
ApachiiHair.esm=1
RSkyrimChildren.esm=1
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm=1
ApachiiHairMales.esm=1
HighResTexturePack01.esp=0
HighResTexturePack02.esp=0
HighResTexturePack03.esp=0
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives-Hearthfire.esp=1
Brows.esp=1
EnchantedArsenal.esp=1
Patch - Falskaar - RS kids.esp=1
Better Dynamic Snow.esp=1
improvedfrostyfrostsalts.esp=1
Collars 2 Ingots - Ebony.esp=1
Dawnbreaker_PeacefulExplosion.esp=1
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp=1
CoT-WeatherPatch_DB.esp=1
Animated Dragon Wings.esp=1
Convenient Horses.esp=1
RSChildren - Complete.esp=1
CoT-WeatherPatch.esp=1
CoT-WeatherPatch_Snow-40.esp=1
CoT-WeatherPatch_NL3.esp=1
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
Convenient Horses - Unique Frost.esp=1
thanatos dragonx.esp=1
DreamBurrowsRegalHuntsmanArmor.esp=1
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp=1
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp=1
ELFX - Dawnguard.esp=1
ELFX - Dragonborn.esp=1
improvedglowingglowdust.esp=1
FISS.esp=1
RSChildren_PatchUSKP.esp=1
Footprints.esp=1
Footprints - Ash.esp=1
Beards.esp=1
PumpingIron.esp=1
WSCO - OcciFemaleCBBE.esp=1
improvedfireyfiresalts.esp=1
insanity's daedric sword.esp=1
Immersive NPC in the dark.esp=1
iHUD.esp=1
JZBai_CrossbowManualReload.esp=1
KJ Tattoos 4K.esp=1
More Draconic Dragon Aspect - Wings and Tail.esp=1
LootandDegradation.esp=1
mmmr hoth.esp=1
NK_EyeCusomizationOverhaul.esp=1
Rise of the Legend - Ysgramor.esp=1
RaceMenu.esp=1
RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp=1
SkyRe_Main.esp=1
Armour_of_Yngol.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives-Dawnguard.esp=1
Book Covers Skyrim.esp=1
AOS.esp=1
FireAndIceOverhaul.esp=1
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp=1
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp=1
AOS2_FIO Patch.esp=1
AOS2_CoT3_1_patch.esp=1
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp=1
ClimatesOfTamriel-Sound.esp=1
ClimatesOfTamriel-Sound-Dawnguard-Patch.esp=1
AOS2_EBT Patch.esp=1
Daedric Dawnbreaker.esp=1
DDB_Skyre_Patch.esp=1
SkyHavenTempleEnhanced.esp=1
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp=1
Immersive Weapons.esp=1
SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp=1
WeaponsArmorFixes_ImmersiveWeapons_Patch.esp=1
Unique Uniques.esp=1
Breezehome_Fully_Upgradable.esp=1
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives-AFTPatch.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives-SkyRePatch.esp=1
SkyRe_Plugin_Perks_ Broadsword.esp=1
Falskaar SkyRe Faction Patch.esp=1
ktaancientshroudedarmor.esp=1
AOS2_WAF Patch.esp=1
Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons and BOOZE.esp=1
TradeRoutes.esp=1
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp=1
SkyFalls + SkyMills Falskaar.esp=1
RealisticWaterTwo.esp=1
AOS2_RealisticWaterTwo Patch.esp=1
SkyRe_EncounterZones.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
ELFX-BFU-Patch.esp=1
kynesguard.esp=0
blaze of eventide.esp=1
TheFrontier.esp=1
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp=1
DragonmournInn.esp=1
Cloaks.esp=1
1nivWICCloaks.esp=1
eleidonward.esp=1
dragonhammer.esp=1
ket_umbra.esp=1
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp=1
SkyRe_HelmlessPerks.esp=1
SkyRe_HelmlessPerks_WAFR_2.esp=1
SkyUI.esp=1
Dual Sheath Redux.esp=1
Supreme Storms - Cot Version.esp=1
CoT-WeatherPatch_SupStorms.esp=1
TheDomain.esp=1
AdalMatar.esp=1
SMIM-Merged-All.esp=1
JK's Whiterun v0.1.esp=1
Immersive Patrols II.esp=1
Falskaar Home Improvement.esp=1
RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Falskaar.esp=1
SkyRe_StandingStones.esp=1
SkyRe_Races.esp=1
SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp=1
Hunterborn.esp=1
Lilarcor.esp=1
Hunterborn_Dawnguard-Patch.esp=1
SkyRe_Combat.esp=1
alendrissword.esp=1
drakul armor.esp=0
prvtibearclawhelm.esp=1
ISD_Dragonspear.esp=1
bellhammer.esp=0
contractor armor.esp=0
evil mastermind armor.esp=0
Convenient Horse Herding.esp=1
RGMsAlchemistsCompendium.esp=1
dovahkiinrelax.esp=1
TorchRadius.esp=1
TradeRoutes-SkyRe-Patch.esp=1
WAFR UU Pre ReProccer Patch.esp=1
AOS2_SkyRe Patch.esp=1
WetandCold.esp=1
WetandCold - Ashes.esp=1
AOS2_WetandCold Patch.esp=1
WSCO - Better NPCs.esp=1
WSCO - OcciBetterMale.esp=1
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives-AlternateStartPatch.esp=1
Bashed Patch, 0.esp=0
Pre ReProccer WAFR IA7 IW UU Patch.esp=1
ReProccer.esp=1
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp=1
Post ReProccer Fixes IA7 IW UU Patch.esp=1

• 4 months later...

I figured out a very likely solution to this problem.

If you type %appdata% into the windows button search thing (the menu with all the shortcuts and stuff) and click on 'Roaming' in the search bar looking thing at the top, go to local, then Skyrim, pluginlist... MAKE SURE "Skyrim.esm" is always at the top of the list... every time you install/uninstall a mod it will remove this line from the .txt file. Make sure that there is no duplicate "Skyrim.esm" aswell... if this doesn't work, then I have no idea, i've tried sorting out my load order, i've fresh installed three times in a week, i've installed one mod, used it, saved game then installed the next mod etc.

Basically what is happening is the game is either not loading skyrim.esm (if Skyrim.esm isn't in the pluginlist) or it is loading it twice (if there is a duplicate Skyrim.esm in the pluginlist) which causes conflictions with the game itself. With this method the game will always load Skyrim.esm before anything else, then load the necessary files after loading Skyrim.esm, so instead of loading, let's say Dawnguard before Skyrim, the game will load Skyrim first, if it loads Dawnguard first then the game spazzes out and dies.

Hope this helped

Edited by Gamerrborn

• 1 month later...

Hey, know it's two years later but I have a few possible solutions! Try verifying the integrity of game cache via steam (right-click game, click "Properties", local data tab in case you didn't know how) and if that doesn't work, load your last save after dying and it is showing your body fall to the ground. You will have around 5 seconds to do so, so be fast! Unfortunately, you will lose all your Nexus mods likely when you verify the integrity of game cache. Hope I helped.

• 6 months later...

Hi

I know this thread is long dead but thought I would put this in here in case anyone else is looking for an answer to this issue , I was crashing to desktop quite often when I died but it was random so sometimes it would and sometimes it would load the saved game ,after searching many forums and chat rooms I tried many fixes but it still persisted then by chance on a rebuild I removed the immersive HUD mod and don't ask me why but it stopped the problem completely. Hope this helps.