Heavy Traffic ×

Input Lag/Script Lag/FPS drop after installing new mods

Audioxii

I installed a few new mods to my game on top of my old ones, and while I've always had lower FPS due to playing on a laptop (while up to date, it is a bit lower end), my FPS has dropped to between 5 to 15 fps, and there is now heavy script lag/input lag, particularly when talking to NPCs and entering a new cell. Dialogue options don't always load/npcs don't like to speak sometimes, npcs tend to not notice what's going on around them for a time, etc. Could someone help me determine which mods are the causing me the most problems so I can remove them/find alternatives, or maybe anything I could do to change my load order or remove redundant mods? I know I have a lot of script heavy mods, but pointing out the worst could be helpful in determining which ones to keep. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

0 0 Skyrim.esm

1 1 Update.esm

2 2 Dawnguard.esm

3 3 HearthFires.esm

4 4 Dragonborn.esm

5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp

254 FE 0 SafeContainers.esl

6 6 BSAssets.esm

7 7 3DNPC.esp

8 8 BSHeartland.esm

9 9 BS_DLC_patch.esp

10 a Campfire.esm

11 b RaceCompatibility.esm

12 c SkyUI_SE.esp

13 d iNeed.esp

14 e iNeed - Extended.esp

15 f HearthfireMultiKid.esp

16 10 Distinct Interiors.esp

17 11 JKs Skyrim.esp

18 12 Cutting Room Floor.esp

19 13 BlackthornManor.esp

20 14 SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp

21 15 Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp

22 16 Point The Way.esp

23 17 moonpath.esp

24 18 JRMoonpathtoElsweyrPatch.esp

25 19 Holidays.esp

254 FE 1 JKs Skyrim_Holidays_Patch.esp

26 1a Realm of Lorkhan - Custom Alternate Start - Choose your own adventure.esp

27 1b TKAA.esp

28 1c KhajiitWillFollow.esp

29 1d Immersive Encounters.esp

30 1e 0Kaidan.esp

31 1f AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp

32 20 Immersive Weapons.esp

33 21 Tentapalooza.esp

254 FE 2 BSHeartland - Unofficial Patch.esp

34 22 Inigo.esp

35 23 Hunterborn.esp

36 24 Immersive Patrols II.esp

37 25 Cats-in-SkyrimSSE.esp

38 26 Frostfall.esp

39 27 SofiaFollower.esp

254 FE 3 BattleBrothers.esp

40 28 DIVERSE SKYRIM.esp

41 29 HothFollower.esp

42 2a MCS.esp

43 2b the lungaris - rabbit-like race.esp

254 FE 4 JKs Skyrim_Cutting Room Floor_Patch.esp

44 2c The Lost Masks.esp

45 2d MASSE.esp

46 2e Lucien.esp

47 2f Lucien-Moonpath-Patch.esp

48 30 1nivWICCloaks.esp

49 31 SPTDiverseGuardsSkyrimSEBruma.esp

50 32 RealNames - AFT Store Name.esp

51 33 RealNames - SSE Edition.esp

52 34 Footprints.esp

53 35 SPTDiverseGuardsSkyrimSE.esp

54 36 WetandCold.esp

254 FE 5 3DNPC - CRF Patch.esp

55 37 RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp

56 38 TakeNotes.esp

57 39 wizDynamicThings.esp

254 FE 6 Bruma - iNeed Patch.esp

58 3a imp_helm_legend.esp

59 3b imp_helm_Immersive_Armors.esp

60 3c GuildStarter.esp

61 3d Hunterborn - iNeed Patch.esp

254 FE 7 BS_Campfire.esp

254 FE 8 Bruma - SkyTEST Patch.esp

62 3e FollowerWander2.esp

63 3f UIExtensions.esp

64 40 BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp

65 41 Moonlight Tales Special Edition.esp

66 42 HearthfireMultiKid_LastName.esp

67 43 usefulbruialurns.esp

254 FE 9 3DNPC0.esp

68 44 Hunterborn - Campfire Patch.esp

69 45 JS Armored Circlets SE.esp

70 46 Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp

71 47 Better Harvesting.esp

72 48 More Weapons Please.esp

73 49 My_Little_kitty_non_replaced.esp

74 4a Immersive Speechcraft.esp

75 4b Immersive Encounters TKAA Patch.esp

76 4c KhajiitChildren.esp

77 4d IdlePlayWheelMenu.esp

78 4e LazyItemHider.esp

79 4f 3DNPC TKAA Patch.esp

80 50 Skyrim Unadoption Mod.esp

81 51 HearthfireMultiKid TKAA Patch.esp

82 52 RaceMenu.esp

83 53 RaceMenuPlugin.esp

84 54 My Home Is Your Home.esp

85 55 My_Little_hatchling.esp

86 56 JaxonzEnhGrab.esp

87 57 JaxonzRenamer.esp

88 58 AFT - 3DNPC Patch.esp

89 59 imp_helm_USSEP.esp

90 5a DSerCombatGameplayOverhaul.esp

91 5b Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp

92 5c FaelCampingStuff.esp

93 5d CShacks.esp

94 5e chfshPlayerVoicesets.esp

95 5f Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp

254 FE a Ordinator - Beyond Skyrim Bruma Patch.esp

96 60 Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp

97 61 Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp

98 62 BUVARP.esp

99 63 RDO - AFT v1.66 Patch.esp

100 64 Convenient Horses.esp

254 FE b CH BRU.esp

101 65 RDO - CRF + USSEP Patch.esp

102 66 Open Cities Skyrim.esp

103 67 Open Cities Skyrim - Holidays.esp

104 68 JKs Skyrim_Open Cities_Patch.esp

105 69 Immersive Citizens - OCS patch.esp

254 FE c Open Cities - 3DNPC Patch.esp

106 6a Immersive Encounters - Open Cities Patch.esp

107 6b Scarcity SE - Less Loot Mod.esp

108 6c Scarcity SE - 2x Merchant Item Rarity.esp

109 6d Scarcity SE - 4x Loot Rarity.esp

I installed a few new mods to my game on top of my old ones, and while I've always had lower FPS due to playing on a laptop (while up to date, it is a bit lower end), my FPS has dropped to between 5 to 15 fps

Which mods would those be? That's the first place I would look.

I installed a few new mods to my game on top of my old ones, and while I've always had lower FPS due to playing on a laptop (while up to date, it is a bit lower end), my FPS has dropped to between 5 to 15 fps

Which mods would those be? That's the first place I would look.

Configurable Real Names for SSE

Diverse Guards Skyrim

Winter Is Coming SSE - Cloaks

Lucien - Immersive Fully Voiced Male Follower

Kaidan 2

Hoth

Sofia - The Funny Fully Voiced Follower

DIVERSE SKYRIM SSE

Alternate Conversation Camera

EVG Conditional Idles

Whiterun Battle Brothers

BUVARP SE - Barely Used Vanilla Actors Recycle Project for SE

These would be the most recently installed mods since the lag issue started happening.

the only ones I'm familiar with are Sofia and Diverse Skyrim. Neither load my game terribly.

At a guess, you might look at EVG conditional idles, since mods like that usually have some sort of timer based script to update their content (for instance, many such mods have MCM settings for update timing, and usually note that "too fast an update time can destabilize the game" (paraphrasing). I've been bitten by it in the past.

Other than that I can't say. idk if any of those introduce large numbers of NPCs or rich visual stuff (high-k textures for instance), or use heavy scripting, but you'd know better than me. And those would be good ones to consider disabling to check as well.

when in a situation like this, I've found that it's best practice to take only one or two mods off at a time, to both keep the working save stable (cleaning it between each mod disable... not plugin, I said mod), and to make identifying the culprit mod easier.

the only ones I'm familiar with are Sofia and Diverse Skyrim. Neither load my game terribly.

At a guess, you might look at EVG conditional idles, since mods like that usually have some sort of timer based script to update their content (for instance, many such mods have MCM settings for update timing, and usually note that "too fast an update time can destabilize the game" (paraphrasing). I've been bitten by it in the past.

Other than that I can't say. idk if any of those introduce large numbers of NPCs or rich visual stuff (high-k textures for instance), or use heavy scripting, but you'd know better than me. And those would be good ones to consider disabling to check as well.

when in a situation like this, I've found that it's best practice to take only one or two mods off at a time, to both keep the working save stable (cleaning it between each mod disable... not plugin, I said mod), and to make identifying the culprit mod easier.

Thanks for the help.

My only mods that add a lot of npcs (more than, say, 3) would be More Kats of Skyrim, More Argonians of Skyrim and Intereresting NPCs.

Conditional idles is a good guess, and I might give disabling it a go.

I have no mods that enhance graphics, my graphics are all vanilla, save for one that makes children look more children-like that I can't remember the name of.

I do have many script heavy mods, and I do have Footprints and Wet n Cold which I don't consider necessary to my game, would you recommend removing them to make performance better or would it matter?

Also, EVG is also inessential to my game, just thought it'd look nice. May try disabling it, although I don't believe in-game that I was in a situation where those idles were being used when I was lagging, but I suppose if it's scanning/updating all the time it would lag whether they were using the idles or not.

Thanks a million

AHA! after taking another look on Vortex I have Constructible Shacks from oldrim installed, it is my only mod installed from oldrim, and even though it appears to run fine in my game, do you think it may be causing me issues that I'm unaware of?

AHA! after taking another look on Vortex I have Constructible Shacks from oldrim installed, it is my only mod installed from oldrim, and even though it appears to run fine in my game, do you think it may be causing me issues that I'm unaware of?

It is generally not recommended to use "Oldrim" mods in SE. They need to be ported properly.This one could be critical, since it contains a lot of SKSE scripts, that were written for "Oldrim" SKSE. While most of old SKSE scripts CAN run on SKSE64, there's still a risk. I don't know how "risky" this particular mod is. But I wouldn't recommend using it in SE...

Regarding the lag issue: It could be a certain mod, but it could also be the total number of mods installed. Especially on weaker machines, there's a limit regarding how far you can go with mods. Maybe you just reached that limit....

It is generally not recommended to use "Oldrim" mods in SE. They need to be ported properly.This one could be critical, since it contains a lot of SKSE scripts, that were written for "Oldrim" SKSE. While most of old SKSE scripts CAN run on SKSE64, there's still a risk. I don't know how "risky" this particular mod is. But I wouldn't recommend using it in SE...

Regarding the lag issue: It could be a certain mod, but it could also be the total number of mods installed. Especially on weaker machines, there's a limit regarding how far you can go with mods. Maybe you just reached that limit....

Thanks for clearing that up for me about the oldrim mod. I'm a bit new to modding Skyrim and I've been doing my best to keep things running smoothly. I don't even remember that Live Anywhere - Constructable Shacks WAS oldrim until I saw it in my modlist, and I went ahead and removed it along with EVG Conditional Idles (as per Anjen's recommendation), Dynamic Things, and Combat Gameplay Overhaul (all of which, thankfully, I didn't consider essential to enjoying the game), and redownloaded Diverse Guards this time with the light plugin and also installed two patches LOOT didn't tell me I needed that I must have missed for BUVARP, and both the script lag and the fps drop was fixed.

So, whatever the issue was, whether it be the mods that were constantly updating, I was missing patches, or whether it was just having just barely broke the limit to the amount my poor computer could handle, the issue is fixed now, and I can go on with playing my game!

Thanks a lot guys.