Is it possible to chage the path were mods are installed?

ivanglez
Go to solution Solved by nt5raham,

So I'm going for a paythrogh of VtM: Bloodlines before the new game comes out. And thought about modding it. Also, I wanted to do it "the proper way". I'm relatively new to vortex. I've modded extensively Skyrim and a little bit Fallout 4, but nothig else.

Long story short: VtM: B. needs (well not exactly needed but is such an improvement) an unnofficial pathch. When you have this patch installed you need to put mods in it's folder intead of the one for the game (where vortex puts them). So, is there a way to tell Vortex to use an alternate folder to install mods without changing the path of the game?

Or maybe I should go back to manual instalations for this game?

If you change the mod installation path in Vortex, it will do it globally for all mods, and move the mods already installed to the new location (a nifty feature if that was what you were looking for). But for a one-off mod like you've got it sounds like manual install is the way to go.

Thank you!

But, how do you change that path on Vortex? Are you refereing to the "Mods staging folder"? I can't find anything else.

Anyway, it turns out I was mistaken and Vortex is indeed aware of the Unoficcial Patch and puts mods where I wanted automagically. My mods weren't working because of symlinks, hardlinks needed for this game aparently. Still interested in this for future reference and out of curiosity, though.

• Solution

I would expect Vortex, at least under most circumstances, to know where to put the end product (i.e. Games folder). Even on some things like your patch. The developers working on Vortex have a lot of gaming experience under their belts had try to prepare for as many known variations as possible. I'm sorry if my initial response was ambiguous. I was referring to changing the installation path for varying aspects of the installation process, not the final destination of the files for gaming.

Here are the two changeable paths of which I'm aware (other than the installation path of Vortex itself):

1. Downloads Folder: SETTINGS > DOWNLOAD: Just like it sounds, the .zip/.rar archives are put here and remain compressed to save disk space. You always have a virgin downloaded copy in case, like me, you mess things up and need to start over. This is also a reliable source for troubleshooting in case you need to extract a single file from the archive or try a semi-manual install (drag/drop the archive into the bottom section of the MODS window).
  2. Mods Staging Folder: SETTINGS > MODS. This is where Vortex stores the mods once you click "Install." They are uncompressed and wait here to be Enabled and Deployed to the Game folder itself.

Yeah, thank you again. I was aware of those folders and I was refering to the actual gamefolder. I shold have asked more clearly. I was not expecting vortex being aware of patches and the like, so kudos to the devs.

Just a doubt for future reference (not my problem anymore, but curious of how it would be done). In this game there are some big "total conversion mods" that come with their own installers amd create their own folder in the game. Apparently, you could mod your unofficially patched game and the game with those total conversions independtly. In other words, you could mod the game in two different ways (or even more) concurrently. Could this situation be managed by Vortex?