[LE] Can a better computer significantly decrease loading times in the CK when running big mods?

sornan

Hello :)

I really could use some input here, as I've been getting back into modding, doing work with a game new to me, Skyrim, and I have been spending *alot* of time waiting for things to load (CK with mods and game + CK open with mods).

I am considering looking into a new system, but I really need to know if the slow load times are due to my system or are due to the limitations of the CK itself being reached (where if it is the CK, then a new system could just be a waste of a lot of money and things end up being the same).

I've been working on a mod that relies on, and uses Middle-Earth Redone. There is no doubt, that since I have switched from doing CK work with vanilla content to using a number of mods where Middle-Earth is like huge and detailed, all the loading times in the CK and in game have bogged way down to minutes, even up to 4 minutes. I should note that before the mods, the CK loaded within like a minute or two max, and really things were reasonably quick.

Here are the mods I'm loading in the CK :

Dawnguard.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Hearthfires.esm
TESV - MiddleEarth.esm
Lotr_Fotr.Esp (25,000 Kb - relies on TESV - MiddleEarth.esm).

In the Construction Kit, will all of the .Esm's enabled along with Lotr_Fotr.Esp as the active .Esp, this is what I get :

Roughly 4 minutes to load fully into the CK.

2 munites to save changes to the active .esp

2 minutes to load exterior cells in MiddleEarth (mod)

Sometimes 3 minutes to load up Skyrim and get in the game while the CK is open with these mods active.

This may or may not be helpful or even applicable, but here are my system specs (generalized):

General System Specs:

Acer Aspire Laptop
Intel® Core i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz 1.70 GHz
4.00 Gig RAM
64 Bit Operating System
Windows 7
System roughly 5 years old

Graphics Card:

GeForce GT 640M LE

1024 MB Dedicated Video Memory

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I spent around 1200 bucks on my current laptop, and I'm suspecting a similar price to get a more recent updated gaming type laptop, which is a Lot to me and is kind of a big deal.

If I knew that a new updated gaming system would *Significantly* knock down the loading times, then it really could be worth the investment. Yet if there are CK limitations that may be getting reached, and a new system may not help much, then it would not be worth it.

I would really appreciate any input or insight on this :)

Thanks!

This is about what I have, I bought mine a year ago for $1,400. https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/ASUS-ROG-Strix-G15-G512LU-RS74-Gaming-Laptop

Mine is an MSI, but MSIs sell like hot cakes! So iBUYPOWER doesn't have any right now. Asus is still solid though.

Your main bottle necks are gonna be your GPU, hard drive, and the program itself. I bought one of these for my laptop, https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-860-evo-2-5--sata-iii-500gb-mz-76e500b-am/

Loading all the masterfiles in CK from my Samsung takes like less then 1min, and saving is instant. Ofcourse .esp size and how well the program handles loading it are major factors.

To what extent I don't know.

Edited by smashballsx88

Just a little note: one of the biggest performance improvements is cell load times. I can load 7 cells at once and everything will appear in a matter of seconds! Even in cities like Solitude. Edited by smashballsx88

I tell you what I am willing to do if it would really help you, I know making big investments without knowing the benefit is hard. If you ask me, the ability to play modern games on the PC would be my main reason! If that's not your fancy for one thing or another, then I can help you out.

I can detail my actual specs to you, and if you could hand me the files, I can load them myself. I will time them out if CK doesn't log it anywhere, and show you the results between just masterfiles, and MF + those 2 .esp(s).

I can give you the results and you can see for yourself if its worth it or not.

I tell you what I am willing to do if it would really help you, I know making big investments without knowing the benefit is hard. If you ask me, the ability to play modern games on the PC would be my main reason! If that's not your fancy for one thing or another, then I can help you out.

I can detail my actual specs to you, and if you could hand me the files, I can load them myself. I will time them out if CK doesn't log it anywhere, and show you the results between just masterfiles, and MF + those 2 .esp(s).

I can give you the results and you can see for yourself if its worth it or not.

Hey Smash :smile:

Your input, and offer to help is excessively kind :smile:

First off, yes that looks like a nice system. And yea, indeed I will have to shop around and see what will work both for performance, longevity and price. My Acer has survived so much abuse by me (lol) and it's still going strong, yet unfortunately is becoming more and more outdated as the years pass.

As to your offer to relay some loading time comparisons, I really appreciate that, and is pretty easy actually.

You can just download the Middle Earth Redone Mod.

Then once installed, run the CK with the TESVMiddelearthII.Esp as the active .Esp .

It does require Dawnguard, Dragonborn, and Hearthfires.

But the TESVMiddelearthII.Esp is the .Esp I have been working off of, I just renamed it to reflect the quest mod - All credit to the original author of the .Esp will be given of course (and I gained permission via direct contact to the author).

If you could do some quick comparisons to the load timings I indicated in my original post, that would be reaaaaally appreciated. And to jump into a detailed area in the mod once the CK has loaded, search under Actors the keywords "Aragorn" (Without quotes), and then use the Use Info to jump to his position, and that is one of the many areas my system takes like 2 minutes to load stuff.

Either way, if some day I ever get a release (year from now maybe lol), be happy to add you to the credits for the help.

Thanks man

Edited by sornan

The system plays a role, but mostly the mod itself.

When i started the creation of ACT II CK would load fast, but towards the end when the whole mod had reached 2GB and all 40 cells + functions were finished, i could literally go make a coffee, cook an omelet, eat it, clean the kitchen, and CK was still loading...

* ACT II was created on a Q8400 Quad Core 2.8 Ghz.

Edited by maxarturo

The system plays a role, but mostly the mod itself.
When i started the creation of ACT II CK would load fast, but towards the end when the whole mod had reached 2GB and all 40 cells + functions were finished, i could literally go make a coffee, cook an omelet, eat it, clean the kitchen, and CK was still loading...
* ACT II was created on a Q8400 Quad Core 2.8 Ghz.

Hi maxarturo

That is a bit eye opening. The Esp I am working off of is only 24.6 MB, yet maybe that is already somewhat big, I don't know. One of the things that slows things down is doing test runs in game with the CK running the variety of .Esm's, where it seems my system is already bogged down, and it takes minutes just to get the game going and get a saved game loaded in. But, maybe this is actually normal, I don't completely know.

Do not have the two opened / executed at the same time, CK uses the same system resources as the game.

Plus by doing so you will encounter issues while testing, especially in heavy mods and especially in heavy scripted mods.

Unfortunately you need to exit Ck to test and use a 'Save File' that hasn't seen your mod, it's the only way to ensure that everything is running as intended.

I hope it helps.

I do thank you for the clarification there, really :smile:

That's a tough call for me, as it takes a minute or two just to close down the CK, then of course another 3-4 minutes to re-load the list of mods required in the CK.

Of course I save every time in the CK before running a new game session.

I can see what you are saying there, I personally have to weigh out the time of things (time is a precious commodity), even if there is a chance of some bugs showing up.

Edited by sornan

Yes. You can also put the mod on a SSD drive to get faster load times. It will hurt the drive over time but it is faster. I use a SSD drive for all my programming and replace them from time to time. Just keep in mind you don't really need to go to big or expensive on a drive you will end up trashing. I also backup everything on a normal drive if needed. Best of both worlds.