Smiles

BlueGunk

I see the occasional picture of a follower / NPC with a nice smile on their face.

My character lady kind of smiles, but it is usually an ugly little grimace that makes her look like a psycho.

I use the mods Random Emotions, Expressive Facial Animation (female), PC Headtracking, and I have the MFGFix mod too. I also tried to give my character a face that can actually smile.

But I just wish her smile could be bright and natural, that it could be better than the half-hearted rictus she gives me. A smile like this: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/images/49514

I don't want to be entering codes into the console every few minutes, I would like the mods I have to be better and wonder if I have missed something?

Any tips would be gratefully received!

Thank you!

FWIW....

I recently installed DAR and Random Emotions, and once in a blue moon it applies a reasonable smile (like the one you showed), but most of the time she wears a flat or "curious" expression. Not sure why BUT I think it may boil down to her resting expression.

I recently downloaded some Faerie Elves and noticed that at least one or two of the characters it injected smiles...all the time. and when they are trying to "smile", they smile even more... that is, their resting faces are set to have a happy look.

I suspect that the solution comes down to using racemenu to give your character a smile (or at least a "happy" expression to begin with. I actually tried that with my female player a few times and gave up because I suck at "designing" faces.

FWIW....

I recently installed DAR and Random Emotions, and once in a blue moon it applies a reasonable smile (like the one you showed), but most of the time she wears a flat or "curious" expression. Not sure why BUT I think it may boil down to her resting expression.

I recently downloaded some Faerie Elves and noticed that at least one or two of the characters it injected smiles...all the time. and when they are trying to "smile", they smile even more... that is, their resting faces are set to have a happy look.

I suspect that the solution comes down to using racemenu to give your character a smile (or at least a "happy" expression to begin with. I actually tried that with my female player a few times and gave up because I suck at "designing" faces.

Thanks. I agree on the resting face; my character is set with a couple of slightly open-mouth expressions (using aaa eee etc., that sort of thing), plus a basic 'happy' expression. She still looks like a nutter. :sad:

I tried one mod, which was "Smile to the Camera", an LE mod, but it could not function alongside PC Headtracking. However that mod scripted a really good smile. So why can't the others?

I can't script to save my life, otherwise I'd try myself.

Lips and eyes. Not exactly sure how, but that's the trick. lips and eyes.

Mine chick has a pouty mouth (not a potty mouth, that's my job), so she doesn't smile all that well. There's a term for her face, I've seen it said about that actress from "Twilight", and the brunette hotty from the ?1st? transformer movie.

I've noticed that "smiley faces" *tend to have lips with drawn out corners, if that makes any sense to you. And a slight "crinkle" below the eyes.

FWIW, you might learn something useful by installing (at least temporarily) Faerie Elves.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/25079

at least two of the female followers that its optional addon provides have very "smiley" faces, specifically Maxine and Nyx, (the only two females from the group I've "met" so far) although all but one or two of the female followers has very "smiley" faces. (or appears to based on the wide mouths and narrow terminuses - ie, each end of the lips), although from the mod page snapshots, they're all wearing that same flat "resting _____ face" that actress Kristen Stewart is said to have... I haven't spoken with the others yet, so on them I'm guessing, based on the edges of their mouths

Anyway, maybe it can provide some additional clues on how to "git er done" with your own character(s)

*will require installing the main mod, an addon (to add the followers), and a dependency, but if you have space in your load order, it might be a worthwhile (temporary) lean so you can learn from what the author did with his/her faces.

regards,