I AM NOT SPAM

UhuruNUru

Why the hell am I seeing this crap When I, a longstanding Premium user try to log in on my chosen browser?

Pale Moon's Broken Captcha login

I moved to Pale Moon when Firefox abandoned my Must have addons, because those addons are far more important to me than the browser.

I don't update the browser, until the addons are updated, which can take a while, when they are one man projects.

Forcing me to use your approved set of Browsers, (The trash that is Google Chrome), or the subset of browsers big enough to pay for many programmers.

The need to continuously update their code to work around Google's proprietary bulls***, is just going to drive me away from Nexus for Mods for good

This is the second time I've been locked out of the site, first it was the unified login, not showing up, because I routinely block Popups (Ironically an anti-SPAM tactic), until I found a workaround for that issue.

From the way this Captcha looks, there is no actual tick box, or other standard system, it looks like it's two images with some hidden click sensor on the first image, switching to the ticked version.

So I can't just tick the invisible box, which does work with some other captchas.

I also notice that

This Captcha is not to "Help Nexus Mods Prevent Spam", that's for damn sure, or it would only be on the Registration for new accounts page, where it belongs.

If you do need to be also on Logins (with new accounts of few posts/downloads), make it AFTER you receive the Login Details and know which account you are dealing with.

My 7 year old account Premium account is NOT SPAM, and you do NOT need to use this crap, before I even tell you who I am, just because I use Pale Moon, as my browser.

if you must use this trash, at least check whether the account is of good standing, before accusing them of being SPAM.

I've been forced to use chrome just to make this Forum post, as you have now unified the sites logins.

I will not be using it to download any mods though, fix your Login system, so that long term users, are not blocked, in case they are spam.

But it gets even worse, inspect Element gives info on the Captcha

https://assets.hcaptcha.com/captcha/v1/baea443/static/hcaptcha-checkbox.html#id=04wtg2qsijpi&host=users.nexusmods.com&sentry=true&endpoint=https%3A%2F%2Fhcaptcha.com&reportapi=https%3A%2F%2Faccounts.hcaptcha.com&sitekey=75161fda-5ac6-43fc-8c59-f02058a4b13b&theme=dark

using that as a weblink takes you here

hCaptcha - Stop more bots. Start protecting privacy

Where it becomes apparent

Private. Secure. Faster. And we pay you to use it.

What ARE they paying Nexus Mods for Then, if not User Data?

Anonomised or not, how much is inconveniencing Nexus users worth, these days.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

We are currently looking at the way hcaptcha is integrated and presented and we're exploring various options, including limiting the captcha to the registration screen - as you are suggesting. The goal with moving to hcaptcha is to provide a better user experience than we did with Google's reCaptcha.

As Bigbizkit has said, we are currently trialling hCpatcha, which is a drop-in replacement for Google's reCaptcha. The reason we're trying it is because some of our tin-foil hat users were complaining about us using a Google service for bot prevention, and reCaptcha is also blocked in China which was preventing any Chinese users from using the site, where as hCaptcha is not blocked in China.

What ARE they paying Nexus Mods for Then, if not User Data?

The FAQ for hCaptcha is here: https://docs.hcaptcha.com/faq

User data isn't what is being sold here. Solving the captcha images helps with artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms which hCaptcha offers as a service to companies in those fields. Google reCaptcha simply pockets this income, whereas hCaptcha attempts to share this income with the people who use their service.

You'll note in the FAQ that it states sites/companies based in the US and Canada can redeem points for Pay Pal payouts but sites/companies not in the US or Canada only get "HMT" tokens, which can be used for machine learning time on their own systems. We are not based in the US and Canada and thus can only generate these HMT tokens, which are useless to us, as we are not in any field that requires machine learning/artificial intellgence.

Thus, the only driving factor for us with this change was seeing if we could find a drop-in replacement for Google's reCaptcha which did not block the tin-foilers and China.

I'm quite annoyed as well. using chrome, I've always just stayed logged in. Suddenly I'm logged out and cannot log back in on nexusmods, just into the forums except when in Incognito mode. Now, that would make you think a plugin was blocking access, but I can enable every plugin for incognito and it still works, and disable every plugin for normal and it won't work.

Seeing an animated sonar ping and nothing else after clicking on the checkbox. I seriously doubt I'm the only person having this happen.

I'm quite annoyed as well. using chrome, I've always just stayed logged in. Suddenly I'm logged out and cannot log back in on nexusmods, just into the forums except when in Incognito mode. Now, that would make you think a plugin was blocking access, but I can enable every plugin for incognito and it still works, and disable every plugin for normal and it won't work.

Seeing an animated sonar ping and nothing else after clicking on the checkbox. I seriously doubt I'm the only person having this happen.

That sounds like an entirely separate problem.

hCaptcha has no effect on you being logged out. It seems that your browser is auto deleting the cookie for the login session.

When you say you cannot log in, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying you click the checkbox saying "I'm human", then you get a spinning wheel/animated sonar ping (I like that description) but no captcha is loaded?

Is that not what I said?
"Seeing an animated sonar ping and nothing else after clicking on the checkbox. "

Yep it is. If I sound snarky it's because I probably am. It's beyond annoying. I stated as much as was necessary to convey the point that nothing happens after that. No, there is no captcha, it's stuck at the sonar animation, the animation that precedes the next animation that would occur as the captcha itself gets loaded or a checkmark. Since I can disable extensions and it still doesn't work, it's not as simple as an extension blocking it. Something more is at play, and there will be more people in the same boat, even if it's a very specific setup that triggers the situation. Using incognito or a different browser should not be necessary. I don't know, nor do I have any desire or patience to personally investigate, why hcaptcha fails to load beyond the testing I did.

I said that I always just stay logged in as background, that I stay logged in as long as possible (cookies are not deleted because I hate logging in to anything when it's on my computer. I have other ways to stop tracking cookies if I desire than just deleting all cookies) and that suddenly I'm logged out and cannot get back in due to hcaptcha. I think in years I might have logged in 3 times? 4? Namely due to change in computer/windows install and a sitewide forced login that I forget when that even was. If I had been allowed to stay logged in, I wouldn't have run into this until such time as the cookie is deemed expired by the site.

i don't know, maybe it just happened to have expired within a day of that being turned on? Point was, that's how I noticed, and was background to the situation while also expressing that it's annoying, made worse by not being able to log back in.

I see my "Captcha Hell" topic was closed, but today the Captcha Hell returned with a vengeance. I had to click through 12 captchas to get through. it started with clicking on "cars", but just to trick me it changed to "trucks" and then "planes" half way through, just to confuse me. These hcaptchas are EXTREMELY difficult for people with poor eyesight btw.

• 2 weeks later...