Pure dissapointment

royal44

I had to give up on Vortex. It kept making me decide priorities and over-writing that I just didn't understand and the game would never run. Went back to NMM, ran Boss for my load order and everything worked fine. Far easier and FAR more intuitive.

BOSS is completely outdated.

You should at least be using LOOT, which is built into Vortex.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted34304850

I had to give up on Vortex. It kept making me decide priorities and over-writing that I just didn't understand and the game would never run. Went back to NMM, ran Boss for my load order and everything worked fine. Far easier and FAR more intuitive.

i know what you mean, i've gone back to windows 98. far easier and far more intuitive.

I actually meant, LOOT. Couldn't remember the name. But yeah, can't get the game to run at all on Vortex. Immediate CTD's every time, if it ran at all. NMM runs it perfectly, though.

I actually meant, LOOT. Couldn't remember the name. But yeah, can't get the game to run at all on Vortex. Immediate CTD's every time, if it ran at all. NMM runs it perfectly, though.

Vortex couldn't run because you never understood how to tell Vortex to load one mod BEFORE or after another.

Meanwhile, NMM let's you do that because NMM doesn't know about mod conflicts, or anything else for that matter.

Vortex couldn't run because you never understood how to tell Vortex to load one mod BEFORE or after another.

Meanwhile, NMM let's you do that because NMM doesn't know about mod conflicts, or anything else for that matter.

Are you saying that Vortex INTENTIONALLY stops you from starting the game because it thinks the mod orders may be incorrect? If so, why wouldn't it tell you what and how to fix it? Or even better, since it uses loot, why wouldn't it fix it for you? In fact, shouldn't it fix it by itself? And if the conflicts are the things that prevent it from starting, why would using loot on NMM allow it to run but Vortex wont?

As a suggestion, user friendly means that the user doesn't have to know anything to do something. For instance, the fact that you have to press Ctrl-a to select all. This could be user-friendly if there was a button that says, "select all" that you could press with your mouse on the page. Imagine, if you will, a paper clip that constantly holds your hand and shows you how to do things, but without the paperclip. Its sad how User friendly has been abandoned for the, "we know whats good for you" method that makes developers remove options and abilities in favor of forced "better methods".

Are you saying that Vortex INTENTIONALLY stops you from starting the game because it thinks the mod orders may be incorrect? If so, why wouldn't it tell you what and how to fix it? Or even better, since it uses loot, why wouldn't it fix it for you? In fact, shouldn't it fix it by itself? And if the conflicts are the things that prevent it from starting, why would using loot on NMM allow it to run but Vortex wont?

As a suggestion, user friendly means that the user doesn't have to know anything to do something. For instance, the fact that you have to press Ctrl-a to select all. This could be user-friendly if there was a button that says, "select all" that you could press with your mouse on the page. Imagine, if you will, a paper clip that constantly holds your hand and shows you how to do things, but without the paperclip. Its sad how User friendly has been abandoned for the, "we know whats good for you" method that makes developers remove options and abilities in favor of forced "better methods".

Vortex does inform you of the problem and the reason, it's just a case that a lot of users simply do not read the text in the messages it shows. If you have read it and had a hard time understanding it we're open to feedback on how the message can be improved. Perhaps it needs to be reworded?

It does.

We've had people in here asking for help when the Error message literally tells them what is wrong AND how to fix the problem.

Apparently, people don't even read the error messages.

It's been a while since I just went back with NMM, but from what I remember, the error message was simply that I had to decide what gets loaded first, what gets overwritten, and so on but I had no idea what had to be altered and what order they needed to be. Haven't had a single problem since.

It does.

We've had people in here asking for help when the Error message literally tells them what is wrong AND how to fix the problem.

Apparently, people don't even read the error messages.

Maybe a counsel that records the messages so the user can go back to it? A history of sorts. I for one have no clue, having decided to wait for mod packs before doing anything with modding skyrimVR.

Vortex does inform you of the problem and the reason, it's just a case that a lot of users simply do not read the text in the messages it shows. If you have read it and had a hard time understanding it we're open to feedback on how the message can be improved. Perhaps it needs to be reworded?

I dont understand. How is it worded now? It would be simple, right? "mod a" is overwriting "part a" in "mod b". Would you like "part a(picture of item)" from "mod a" or "part a(Picture of item)" from "mod b"? Please choose. {Mod a} {Mod b}

You choose and the program now knows which to prioritize and does another check after moving it to make sure the two dont have another conflict. This is looped until all conflicts are resolved, either by simply moving the mod or having the user tell Vortex which they would prefer.

Alternatively, when this message pops up, at the bottom, you can always have a "run anyways" button that will allow it to run.

Vortex will do its best to prioritize mods and solve conflicts on its own to allow the game to run.

Another question. The loop referred above is what it is doing now right? except without user input? This way, it doesn't matter in what order you install your mods. It also must compartmentalize utilities like the one needed to change character models. So that it can insert them in the necessary order.

There was a scene in Ghost in the shell that really explained "User Friendly". They were driving in a car and explaining how the car worked. Inside the car are systems and subsystems of complicated mechanics and electronics that work together to make the car function as it does. But above that are the very simple controls. All the systems work together in order to make the handling of the car as simple as possible. It is their secondary function. Thats why a system menu is so important. It gives the user the choices of what to include for them to decide and what to be automated by the system. SO in essence the more options you give your user, the better everyone will be. These options always include the ability for the system to do it for them. This allows the program to adapt to each users levels of competency. This is why window 98 was superior to all after. It was the last OS that gave the user easy and uninhibited access to everything in the system while still keeping automation of those systems optional. After that, they decided what we can handle and what we cannot. And with each new iteration of windows we, the users, loose more power over the system in favor of control to MS. Look at teslar cars. They are in control of your car and can switch functions on and off as THEY see fit. You will soon need a subscription to access functions like heated seats. Even though its yours.

Vortex is supposed to improve upon NMM, this means that, not only should Vortex have ALL the functions and abilities of NMM, but it makes them better without loss of functions. This is what the OP is upset about. You guys pulled a Mozilla and "trashed" firefox in exchange for a chrome looking firefox. ITS NOT FF its Chrome now!!!

Edited by GetsuYorokai

Vortex is supposed to improve upon NMM, this means that, not only should Vortex have ALL the functions and abilities of NMM, but it makes them better without loss of functions. This is what the OP is upset about. You guys pulled a Mozilla and "trashed" firefox in exchange for a chrome looking firefox. ITS NOT FF its Chrome now!!!

All of your claims show just how little you know of Vortex, and I suspect you don't even use it, because all of your claims are severely uninformed.

Vortex is light years above NMM, NMM actually has the ability to Download, and Unzip Mods, that's about it.

Here's something you obviously don't know.

NMM - When installing two Texture Mods, where Mod B needs to overwrite Mod A's textures, you have ONE chance to do it right, and if you screw up, you have to start over.

Step 1: You make sure to install Mod A first

Step 2: When you install Mod B, you make sure to tell NMM to Overwrite all of Mod A's textures.

Now, say you load up the game, and find out you were supposed to Install Mod B first, and were supposed to overwrite Mod B's Textures with Mod A...well, now, with NMM you have to uninstall BOTH Mod A and Mod B, and Start over.

Now, let's look at that same scenario with Vortex.

Vortex - When installing two Texture Mods, where Mod B needs to overwrite Mod A's textures, but it's no big deal, because you can install them in any order you want, and if you set the load order rule wrong, you can change it later.

Step 1: Install Mod A, or Mod B, it doesn't matter which order you install them.

Step 2: Vortex will tell you that there's a conflict between Mod A and Mod B (Same example as above)

Step 3: Let's say you pick the same option as the NMM example and tell Vortex to Load Mod B AFTER Mod A (Same as telling NMM to overwrite all of Mod A's textures)

Now, say you load up the game, and find out you that Mod A was supposed to overwrite Mod B's textures instead...

Well, instead of Uninstalling BOTH Mod A and Mod B like you would have to do with NMM, you can instead just open up the "Manage Rules" panel, and tell Vortex to load Mod A AFTER Mod B....and now Vortex restores the overwritten Files, and fixes everything for you, without uninstalling and reinstalling a thing on your part.