Pure dissapointment

royal44

stop blaming your own choices on software. adapt - or continue with NMM it's still out there.

It's not "your own choices"... It's 'choices' forced upon you by short-sighted folk who think a mod manager should look like a christmas tree. Underneath the jingle bells and lights, there's probably a decent mod manager somewhere, but developers keep doing their best to NOT make that aparent.

Vortex stinks from miles away.

Hit the link in my sig for the latest updates for Nexus Mod Manager.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stop blaming your own choices on software. adapt - or continue with NMM it's still out there.

It's not "your own choices"... It's 'choices' forced upon you by short-sighted folk who think a mod manager should look like a christmas tree. Underneath the jingle bells and lights, there's probably a decent mod manager somewhere, but developers keep doing their best to NOT make that aparent.

The only people who hate Vortex are the ones who don't know how to use it, refuse to learn how to use it, and try to force it to be the inferior NMM.

Vortex sorts your load order for you, and the people who hate Vortex INSIST that THEIR load order is the one they should use, rather than the one LOOT assigns.

(Ironically most of the people who hate Vortex use Standalone LOOT, because they don't even realize LOOT is IN Vortex)

I think people hate Vortex because it's a Control Issue with them.

If they can't micromanage their load order, then they feel their load order is completely wrong.

Vortex tells you if anything goes wrong every step of the way.

The people who have problems with Vortex aren't letting Vortex do it's job and instead are insisting on doing things "The old way" because NMM has given them bad habits.

It took me about an hour and a half to get 315 mods working in my game, with just a handful of LOAD BEFORE and LOAD AFTER rules.

I'm still waiting for someone with an informed opinion of Vortex who has actually used it properly to critique it, but so far, it's only people who never RTFM, poked around for a few minutes without looking at any tutorials, or reading the knowledge base, and got frustrated because it wasn't "NMM" (which people put on some bizarre pedestal, when all it was, was a downloader and unzipper)

Vortex is supposed to improve upon NMM, this means that, not only should Vortex have ALL the functions and abilities of NMM, but it makes them better without loss of functions. This is what the OP is upset about. You guys pulled a Mozilla and "trashed" firefox in exchange for a chrome looking firefox. ITS NOT FF its Chrome now!!!

All of your claims show just how little you know of Vortex, and I suspect you don't even use it, because all of your claims are severely uninformed.

Vortex is light years above NMM, NMM actually has the ability to Download, and Unzip Mods, that's about it.

Here's something you obviously don't know.

NMM - When installing two Texture Mods, where Mod B needs to overwrite Mod A's textures, you have ONE chance to do it right, and if you screw up, you have to start over.

Step 1: You make sure to install Mod A first

Step 2: When you install Mod B, you make sure to tell NMM to Overwrite all of Mod A's textures.

Now, say you load up the game, and find out you were supposed to Install Mod B first, and were supposed to overwrite Mod B's Textures with Mod A...well, now, with NMM you have to uninstall BOTH Mod A and Mod B, and Start over.

Now, let's look at that same scenario with Vortex.

Vortex - When installing two Texture Mods, where Mod B needs to overwrite Mod A's textures, but it's no big deal, because you can install them in any order you want, and if you set the load order rule wrong, you can change it later.

Step 1: Install Mod A, or Mod B, it doesn't matter which order you install them.

Step 2: Vortex will tell you that there's a conflict between Mod A and Mod B (Same example as above)

Step 3: Let's say you pick the same option as the NMM example and tell Vortex to Load Mod B AFTER Mod A (Same as telling NMM to overwrite all of Mod A's textures)

Now, say you load up the game, and find out you that Mod A was supposed to overwrite Mod B's textures instead...

Well, instead of Uninstalling BOTH Mod A and Mod B like you would have to do with NMM, you can instead just open up the "Manage Rules" panel, and tell Vortex to load Mod A AFTER Mod B....and now Vortex restores the overwritten Files, and fixes everything for you, without uninstalling and reinstalling a thing on your part.

Good Sir! I would have you know that I absolutely do not know either NMM OR Vortex, because I paid for 3 months to mod skyrimVR and was never able to finish because of updates and such. DO YOU not remember me from the topic you so deftly closed Pinned MOD Packs discussion??? You know all these complaints could be resolved with mod packs right?

But that aside, my previous comment was more of my thought process of how it SHOULD work, and not how it does. I understand, without really ever using them for too long that the differences between NMM and Vortex is that Vortex can be seen as a sandbox for each game that loads mods rather than what NMM is, which is a hard installer. This is why you would have to install the mods in the proper order or restart the install process of the mods.

BUT YOU REFUSE to understand my point in this. But have hinted at it. It is not what vortex can do for me, but what I can do with it. What I said in my previous post is what vortex should do. Basically hold your hand. But here is an even better one! I honestly dont know what loot is. But I am hoping that it is a database of mod orders gathered from the community. If that is so, and it is used in Vortex and NORMALLY, every mod IS put in the correct order, then the only conflicts to ever happen should be those of textures. In the case of textures, Vortex, should go STEP BY STEP, and ask the user about each conflict and show the textures if it could.

SO if 3 mods are trying to change the same texture, After hitting the Mod button, vortex will bring up a new window, this window will say,

"the [butt texture] is trying to be modded by [3] different mods. Which would you like to replace (3d model with butt texture)

a. (3d model with butt mod a texture) (Name of mod a)

b.(3d model with butt mod b texture) (Name of mod b)

c.(3d model with butt mod c texture) (Name of mod c)

"Please enter a, b, or c then hit return for your choice." Or they can just point and click on the 3d model of their choice.

All this aside, does vortex LOAD into memory only the mods every time before the game starts, OR does it write all the mods into the game folder like what NMM would do? The only difference being that vortex still saves the original mod on a seperate location as a copy? And if it loads into memory, what complications can that creat compared to physically rewriting the files on the hard drive? Thanks for your time mods!!!

Guest deleted34304850

it is your own choice. no-one makes anyone do anything.

if you want to use it, use it, if you don't don't.

if you have a problem with it post about it and get it remediated by the community or by the devs. posting to simply tell people you're too thick to use it just makes you look a bit silly.

it is your own choice. no-one makes anyone do anything.

if you want to use it, use it, if you don't don't.

if you have a problem with it post about it and get it remediated by the community or by the devs. posting to simply tell people you're too thick to use it just makes you look a bit silly.

WAIT! what is this "remediated" you speak of??? Please explain further! And tell me how I can make mod packs a reality next week!!!

Good Sir! I would have you know that I absolutely do not know either NMM OR Vortex, because I paid for 3 months to mod skyrimVR and was never able to finish because of updates and such. DO YOU not remember me from the topic you so deftly closed Pinned MOD Packs discussion??? You know all these complaints could be resolved with mod packs right?

But that aside, my previous comment was more of my thought process of how it SHOULD work, and not how it does. I understand, without really ever using them for too long that the differences between NMM and Vortex is that Vortex can be seen as a sandbox for each game that loads mods rather than what NMM is, which is a hard installer. This is why you would have to install the mods in the proper order or restart the install process of the mods.

BUT YOU REFUSE to understand my point in this. But have hinted at it. It is not what vortex can do for me, but what I can do with it. What I said in my previous post is what vortex should do. Basically hold your hand. But here is an even better one! I honestly dont know what loot is. But I am hoping that it is a database of mod orders gathered from the community. If that is so, and it is used in Vortex and NORMALLY, every mod IS put in the correct order, then the only conflicts to ever happen should be those of textures. In the case of textures, Vortex, should go STEP BY STEP, and ask the user about each conflict and show the textures if it could.

SO if 3 mods are trying to change the same texture, After hitting the Mod button, vortex will bring up a new window, this window will say,

"the [butt texture] is trying to be modded by [3] different mods. Which would you like to replace (3d model with butt texture)

"Please enter a, b, or c then hit return for your choice." Or they can just point and click on the 3d model of their choice.

All this aside, does vortex LOAD into memory only the mods every time before the game starts, OR does it write all the mods into the game folder like what NMM would do? The only difference being that vortex still saves the original mod on a seperate location as a copy? And if it loads into memory, what complications can that creat compared to physically rewriting the files on the hard drive? Thanks for your time mods!!!

You REFUSE to understand what I'm telling you, and you just repeat back to me what I've already told you, and you keep suggesting features that are already in Vortex.

You're planning on making Mod Packs and you don't even know what LOOT is?

You're going to make some crashy mod packs then.

You don't even know the tools that you'll be using, that's not a good start.

LOOT is a database of MOD LOAD ORDERS

The only Conflicts that happen between MODS, is Textures and Meshes, so far you have said nothing new.

Vortex goes STEP BY STEP and you can even select each individual file if you want, you would know this if you used it, everything you are proposing has already been implemented in Vortex.

You can choose between Mod A, B, or C, as to which mod will "WIN" and overwrite the other two mods, OR, you can select each file individually if you're a masochist.

Vortex then unzips all three mods A, B, and C into the Mod Staging Folder, however, Vortex only makes Hardlinks or Symlinks for the "Winning" Textures, however, if you change your mind, and want one of the other 3 Mods to "Win" the conflict, then you simply tell that mod to LOAD AFTER the other two mods, and Vortex will get rid of the original Hardlinks or Symlinks, and make new ones to the new textures.

That is MUCH easier than having to completely uninstall all three Mod files and reinstall them in the correct order, because you only get ONE CHANCE to do it right using NMM, and if you overwrite the wrong ones, then you have to uninstall all three and try again and reinstall all three in a different order

With Vortex, all you have to do is change LOAD BEFORE, to LOAD AFTER, or Vice Versa and it's all done for you.

You REFUSE to understand what I'm telling you, and you just repeat back to me what I've already told you, and you keep suggesting features that are already in Vortex.

You're planning on making Mod Packs and you don't even know what LOOT is?

You're going to make some crashy mod packs then.

You don't even know the tools that you'll be using, that's not a good start.

LOOT is a database of MOD LOAD ORDERS

The only Conflicts that happen between MODS, is Textures and Meshes, so far you have said nothing new.

Vortex goes STEP BY STEP and you can even select each individual file if you want, you would know this if you used it, everything you are proposing has already been implemented in Vortex.

You can choose between Mod A, B, or C, as to which mod will "WIN" and overwrite the other two mods, OR, you can select each file individually if you're a masochist.

Vortex then unzips all three mods A, B, and C into the Mod Staging Folder, however, Vortex only makes Hardlinks or Symlinks for the "Winning" Textures, however, if you change your mind, and want one of the other 3 Mods to "Win" the conflict, then you simply tell that mod to LOAD AFTER the other two mods, and Vortex will get rid of the original Hardlinks or Symlinks, and make new ones to the new textures.

That is MUCH easier than having to completely uninstall all three Mod files and reinstall them in the correct order, because you only get ONE CHANCE to do it right using NMM, and if you overwrite the wrong ones, then you have to uninstall all three and try again and reinstall all three in a different order

With Vortex, all you have to do is change LOAD BEFORE, to LOAD AFTER, or Vice Versa and it's all done for you.

I just want to clarify, I am genuinely grateful for your time and clarifications! So, Thank you!

Now, I wasn't saying that I am going to make a mod pack. I want Vortex to have the ability to. Now, Thanks to you, I know the best way to implement it very fast.

On another note thought, what about tools like BOSS or big mods that are needed by other mods like, what was it, CBBD or something like that?

These ones that you install and they show on the game's menu buttons in vortex's main screen. I hope that isnt too obscure of a description, as I reread it...

My previous post was made in order to gather the problems and probable solutions to those problems in one place for everyone to find and contribute.

Edited by GetsuYorokai

I just want to clarify, I am genuinely grateful for your time and clarifications! So, Thank you!

Now, I wasn't saying that I am going to make a mod pack. I want Vortex to have the ability to. Now, Thanks to you, I know the best way to implement it very fast.

On another note thought, what about tools like BOSS or big mods that are needed by other mods like, what was it, CBBD or something like that?

These ones that you install and they show on the game's menu buttons in vortex's main screen. I hope that isnt too obscure of a description, as I reread it...

My previous post was made in order to gather the problems and probable solutions to those problems in one place for everyone to find and contribute.

BOSS is ancient and outdated, besides, Vortex has LOOT built in, you would be causing yourself huge problems by making BOSS fight against the built in LOOT.

Also, it's CBBE

For someone who wants to delve into the complicated task of making a mod pack, where you have to eliminate conflicts between mods using tools like Xedit to do so, you seem to not know much about the tools, or mods you'd be combining, such as not knowing the names of the mods, and that BOSS is pretty outdated.

Are you just starting out?

Because from your posts, I'd suggest starting out with a much smaller project rather than jumping feet first into a full-blown mod pack.

Also, you need permission from all of the modders who's mods you want to include in the modpack, and do NOT, put said modpack behind a paywall.

• 2 weeks later...

I still use MO and am glad it is still being looked after by new developers.

I've tried vortex several times and it is done in a way to be smart for simple mod organising and for as many games as possible but for a robust advanced mod organiser it's anything but, things like to the simple ability to save backup restore your current setup, ability to keep the game folders clean is not possible. I'm in my own world here. My own opinion. For me, I could not get over the practicaity of MO and expected the same functionality. The way it added files to the game folders magically.. I love MO and continue to use it, it's a fantastic designed program.

Lots of people stick up for vortex and that's fine. Bad sadly. I think it's rubbish, hate all you want., I feel for the creator.. who is actually the creator of MO and have the most respect for but sadly vortex when trying to be used simply caused my own game folders and installs to become ruined and I've tried many times wanting to give it a full-on good go!. Anyways I'd always crack the shits as in my own usage case causes problems.. large problems.. (I use split drives and other pretty advanced things in my systems) most importantly I love mirroring the game folders from desktop to laptop and MO works flawlessly . Albeit needing external software for mirroring.. sometimes modding the games MO is lots more friendlier to work with.

I love symlinks as much as the next bloke but they can be a little frustrating to work with.. especially when wanting to backup game folders!

Anyways basically a year and a half between testing vortex I still don't like it.

Regards.

Edited by toxsickcity