confusing Issue with SSEEdit.

spec5

This issue may have already addressed but there are so many entries in this forum I haven't found an answer yet.

Whenever I verify files with Steam there's always 5 files that do not validate. They total around 60 mg's. Then when I run the files through SSEEdit it finds something like 600 plus files that it removes. Then if I go back the Steam for another file validation it comes up with the same 5 files that don't validate and again when SSEEdit is run it is removing, I assume, the same files. It's a continuous loop. I find no effect on the game with either version run. Any ideas as to why this issues prevails and has for years.

Sorry mate, You probably going to need to add more info on the issue, like the mod manager that your using, the mods that are giving you an issue, the files that are being removed, etc. I would also recommend to re-check the installation instructions for the mods and SSEEdit just to make sure that everything is set up correctly. I have used and still use SSEEdit and I have not had an issue where SSEEdit would automatically remove anything from my game. Of Course, I also use MO2 which does not delete, modify or overwrites any original game files or mods, highly recommended. Good luck, Cheers!

Edited by Guest

You may be confusing record entries that are cleaned by SSEEdit with individual files.

If you have cleaned your master files (Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, Hearthfires.esm and Dragonborn.esm) with SSEEdit, they will be replaced whenever you verify the game installation via Steam. Best course of action is after cleaning said master files is to create a 7z / zip / rar file with them and then install with your mod manager. That way if your mod manager utilizes any sort of virtualization system, you will no longer need to worry about having to re-clean the master files. And if your mod manager does not utilize virtualization you can re-install with the mod manager after performing any verification with Steam.

And before you say something, yes the master files are only four and not five. There will always be a single file that Steam will insist on reacquiring with every verification. While I have no idea what file that is, it has no impact on actual game play.

This issue may have already addressed but there are so many entries in this forum I haven't found an answer yet.

Whenever I verify files with Steam there's always 5 files that do not validate. They total around 60 mg's. Then when I run the files through SSEEdit it finds something like 600 plus files that it removes. Then if I go back the Steam for another file validation it comes up with the same 5 files that don't validate and again when SSEEdit is run it is removing, I assume, the same files. It's a continuous loop. I find no effect on the game with either version run. Any ideas as to why this issues prevails and has for years.

I presume the files in question are skyrim.esm, dawnguard.esm, dragonborn.esm, hearthfires.esm, and update.esm?

If so, when you "validate" your files, you're checking your installed files against the bethesda masters.

The validator then replaces any files it sees as deviating from the source files, with the actual bethesda "canon" source files.

You then run loot and loot tells you, "These files have errors. Please clean them to get rid of these bugs." (or something to that effect)

you then dutifully fix the errors using sseedit and the cleaning guide or previous experience (which, btw, changes the five files it finds that need cleaning)

If you now "validate" the game files again, Bethesda's validator will dutifully inform you that files (these same files) do not comply and will ...replace them. Because you invalidated the files by editing the master source files to clean up errors.

It doesn't recognize the changes made using SSEEdit as being "valid" changes. That's why ti happens. The tool would need to be re-written to recognize and accept the SSEedited masters as "valid" to make that happen