Walking Through Skyrim

AreeSoothsayer

I've ran here. Zoomed there. Fast traveled when that was too slow.

Never once took my time.

I started a new game and decided.. just to walk. No jogging that takes 0 stamina (haha) or dashing for a mile before running out of stamina.

Just walk.

Following the main quest. Went to the barrows first of course. When I got the plate... it's been over a decade that doing something.. simple.. was so full of satisfaction.

I just got finished climbing the stairs to the greybeards. From the first step to the top, took 28 minutes.

That should tell you how long my game has been, yet. It's relaxing amidst sudden flurries of combat. Like a real adventure.

If you're getting a bit burned out. Give it a try. It might not do anything for you, or you could be surprised.

I still fast travel some for haste and even run a bit depending on the situation (save rabbit from troll hurry!), but yeah, walking is the way to go. Also makes collecting herbs and such for potions easier (and finding ore deposits)...and upping your stealth skills (sneak on "run" mode is close to walking speed).

If you get bored with the regular game, try going up the coast north of Soltude sometime... you can make it all the way up around the mountains and come out above and just east of Markath if you're patient. Nice walk, although parts aren't really populated by much more than grass and a few shrubs.

That's usually how I play! I'm usually in character so to make it more immerse I simply walk from point to point like someone would in real life, if it gets too dark I set up camp. Wake up in the morning pick up everything and continue the journey. During the way u can really appreciate the scenery made by mod authors and something always happens during the way which keeps me entertained.

Edited by Guest

Hear, hear! Why install all those graphic overhaul mods if you don't stop to enjoy the scenery every once in awhile?
Lately, I've been adding mods that encourage and reward exploration and dungeon-delving. It's been a fun ride.