1st person female game engine bug for alternate textures.

If you read my other post, you'll know what this is about. If not, I'll summarize first.

When applying texture sets to armour (specifically body and gloves), they do not work in 1st person views, for female characters only. For male characters, they work fine.

This applies to any texture set you use for any gloves/gauntlets/cuirasse/robes/clothes! Helmet and boots are excluded because they are not seen in 1st person. Your esp will be affected as mine is, because it's a game-engine fault! :wallbash:

I'm left with a stupid choice to sort this out for my players. I can either advise them to download and use SSE Engine Fixes, which has a specific bug fix for this problem, or I assign my textures to 22 new and completely unnecessary nif files and expect the players to be happy with the increased BSA size. Of course, if I go with the 1st option some potential players may not want to download my mod because they are unsure about installing SKSE and SSE Engine Fixes. Thanks, Bethesda.

If I'd wanted to alter specular colours, emittance, transparency or something, then fine... 22 new nifs required. I don't, though.

Anyway, I'll have to decide which way to go. I'll try SSE Engine Fixes myself and if it cures the problem, that's probably the way to go. It will probably cure vanilla incidences of the same problem and incorrect textures showing up in loads of mods.

Pity Bethesda couldn't have sorted it. You'll like this if you read it, Maxarturo!

I'm off to play Witcher 3. At least then I won't get annoyed by ridiculous and unnecessary bugs. I do wish that CD Project Red had released a proper 'Red Kit', similar to CK, though. In that respect, I applaud Bethesda! I'd love to mod W3, but can't be bothered, due to the limitations and complexities!... Come back, Beth... all is forgiven!

Edit: I didn't use SKSE before and now I've seen how off-putting it could be to some people, I'm going with keeping the textures right within the bounds of Bethesda's errors. I'm thinking that I can keep the number of additional nif files required to a minimum by just making new 1st person female nifs. I'll use my TS for the male and GO nifs. It's still a few because I need models for additional races, but 22 comes down to single figures and the nifs needed are not that big (armour excepted). I still get annoyed that Bethesda could leave such glaring faults in their game, especially since their own texture sets are affected by this.

Actually, it's a good job I wasn't using SSE Engine Fixes, or else I would never have seen the problem before releasing the mod on an unsuspecting public!

My first job is to post on my mod page about this problem, because I used texture sets for one robe and pair of gloves. In all honesty, I hadn't noticed the problem when testing these, so probably nobody else will have, either. Certainly nobody has reported it. In that case, though, the basic colour was similar to the original texture and only details not seen in 1st person were radically changed... good job! I'm going in game again now to see if I can spot the same problem with these pieces of armour! Thanks Beth... you've just given me a bit more work!... Only kidding, folks, you know I love you! (Eminem lyric)

Edit 2: The fault is there on the other texture sets. It's not noticeable on the gloves. It's not noticeable on the robes when using a weapon. It is noticeable on the robes when casting spells. I didn't test much as a mage, but now I know what I'm looking for, it's blindingly obvious!

Actually just discovered a bug in TW3. It's reassuring to know all games suffer from such things! The bug is only applicable if you've played TW2 and started TW3 with Witcher 2 decisions enabled. It's then only replicable if you didn't kill Letho in 'Assassins Of Kings'. That said, when doing the quest 'The Fall Of House Reardon', if you set off any of Letho's traps after making a save when you had already disabled some of them, the ones you initially disabled will show in 'witcher senses' as red. They can't be interacted with any longer and also won't be triggered by walking onto them... it makes it a bit more worrysome disabling the rest. Damn, but I seem to be beset by game bugs, tonight! Even my 'Go To' game is throwing them up now!

Sure thing. Load your .esp up in xEdit, go to your ArmorAddon records.

You see things like:

Male World Model
MOD2 - Model Filename > pointing to nif
Mo2S - Alternate Textures > would point to a texture set

Female World Model
MOD3 - Model Filename
MO3S - Alternate Textures

Male 1stPerson
MOD4 - Model Filename > pointing to 1stperson nif
MO4S - Alternate Textures

Female 1stPerson
MOD5 - Model Filename
MO5S - Alternate Textures -- this header will be greyed out but this is what you want

- right-click > add (this will now show it in bold)
- right-click > add again will add new option headers
- right-click > edit in New Texture input box (it'll say NULL - NullReference)
- Add the exact name of your texture set plus the ID
- e.g. GlovesAlt[TXST:380D4BD9] --- has to look exactly like this
- find the value in your TextureSet record, double-click on FormID line, copy/paste

I haven't actually tested this, Im too lazy lol, but I do believe we did workarounds like this in USSEP.

Hanaisse, Lovely!

I dare say I'll encounter problems but I'll at least try. It's a darned sight better than expecting people to instal SKSE and another mod, just to use mine!

I also simply hate inefficiency. If I can save a few megabytes, I will.

I'd probably never have tried repeatedly using right-click.

Will have a go and see how I get on.

Thanks a bundle.

Hi.

Unfortunately I fell at the first hurdle in SSEedit.

All the records in the armour add-on in SSEedit are there and correct., including female 1st person.

That confirms that the game engine simply won't use them for female 1st person, even though they are there and correct.

At least I've learned something about SSEedit.

Looks like I'll have to go back to making new models or advising people to instal SKSE and SSE Engine Fixes. Doh!

Edit: Well, it's done and everything works now for all races. At least just adding the female 0 and 1 1st person models limited the number of meshes needed to 10 for the 3 items that were giving the problems.If it hadn't been for needing Khajiit and Argonian glove models, I'd just have needed 6. it's 10 too many, but I can live with that.