Moving MapMarkers across worldspaces

dafydd99

Hi all,

Have spent rather more time than I'd like to say trying to track down how to move MapMarkers successfully (something that was probably never intended) - and I think I understand them a lot better.

There's generally good support for moving them with one big proviso. If you move a mapmarker from a worldspace to the currently loaded worldspace, it won't appear on the world map, or on the compass. Moving into an interior cell and back out into the worldspace doesn't help, but moving to a different worldspace and back does (even just Whiterun for example), as does a quicksave and quickload. Once loaded (and visible) in the map, it can be moved, disabled/enabled without any issues. AddToMap doesn't help.

So what I want to know is, is there a way to force the map to reset/recalculate itself (as it does on all the above operations) to include the new MapMarker? Ideally I wouldn't have to fade to black, teleport to solstheim and teleport back to make this work!

Thanks to any who can help.

Cheers - dafydd99

Mods - The Dark And The Light, The Sidrat - fall of the Dwemer

Edited by dafydd99

Wouldn't it be possible to simply have multiple map markers? One on each map where you need it, then move them and enable/disable them as needed?

For example (I don't know exactly what you're planning on doing with it), if you intended to summon the map marker to your location you could:

Check your current worldspace location

Disable the currently active version of the marker

Enable the marker in your current worldspace

Move the marker to your location

It may take a good number of markers, at least if you want it to work form inside every city individually, but it could work.

Thanks HeirOfTheSeptems. That's a good solution that's certainly going to work - though as you say it could be a lot of work.

My current mod 'The Sidrat' has a single house 'model' that almost works - physically it consists of a formlist of ObjectReferences, which includes a mapmarker and it can be moved to around 80 locations through the game, on about 20 worldspaces. How it manages to avoid the problem I've come across is that the 'move' happens when you're inside an internal cell, so if the outside has moved to a new worldspace, the map is reinitialised again when you arrive. And if it's the same worldspace, well, it's already there so again no problem. The only slight issue is a 'summon The Sidrat' power which brings it to your current location - if The Sidrat had been in a different worldspace (say solstheim) before it arrived in your current worldspace (say skyrim) then the mapmarker would not appear on the compass and map until you'd reloaded or re-entered the skyrim worldspace. But this rarely happened in practice.

But what I'm now trying to achieve, is to create a moveable home which can travel to multiple (maybe even all) worldspaces, with potentially many different physical appearances ('models') of which I wanted to give a different mapmarker type based on the model. Eg for the 'windmill' model, it would use the windmill map marker, the 'tower' model the tower map marker etc. So say if we had 15 models, that's a list of 15 mapmarkers for each worldspace that could be visited (potentially 20+). Not impossible by any means - but if there happened to be a way that I could 'trick' the system into reinitialising its map and compass I'd certainly prefer to do it that way.

One other thought I had was that I could make the 'control' room an actual mini worldspace, rather than an interior cell, so wherever you travelled the worldspace you exited The Sidrat to would be a 'new' one, hence the map would be successfully reinitialised. But again the 'summon' power wouldn't always work in this situation.

Thanks again for your advice - your solution may be the best solution without compromise possible.

Cheers - dafydd99