Shutting down your PC or just Sleep Mode

Speaking from personal experience, having a job

where two PCs at work had to be on and running

24/7, and my home PC that was on about 8 hours

a day, I'd say shut down because the work ones

had to be replaced every few years, whereas my

home PC was still running after 6 years before

being replaced.

avoid or even disable hibernation mode if you use a ssd to store your os because of the extensive write processes started by hibernation. the more ram installed the bigger the amount of gb written is.

I leave mine on all day, and shut it down at night. Avoid hibernation mode. My pc is usually on from 6:am till about 10:pm.....My last computer lasted nine years with this method. Just adjust your power setting to shut your monitor off after whatever time lapse you wish. Also, check the "performance/memory/cached" tab in the task manager occasionally. If it seems a bit high, just do a restart. Mine will go from about 1.2 gigs right after boot, to about 4+ gigs just after a few hours of gaming and web-browsing. Windows 10 doesn't manage the RAM cache efficiently. A restart will help.

avoid or even disable hibernation mode if you use a ssd to store your os because of the extensive write processes started by hibernation. the more ram installed the bigger the amount of gb written is.

My gf is wondering about the source for your claim friend. I was wondering if you could enlighten us to it :D

My gf is wondering about the source for your claim friend. I was wondering if you could enlighten us to it :D

When windows goes into hibernation, it writes pretty much everything in RAM, to the disk, so when you wake it up, the machine is in the same state as when you left. That can be a fair bit of data. On older SSD's, I can see how that might potentially cause issues, but, the technology has improved dramatically over the years, and today, I don't think it matters at all. My biggest thing with hibernation is, windows does not always recover nicely. For a while, some laptops wouldn't wake up out of hibernation....... some windows update broke it. Supposedly, they fixed that...... but, I still see them every now and again.

And in that same vein, lets talk about Windows "Fast Start". A 'feature' of win 10. If it is enabled, your machine never really shuts down, when you tell it to, it actually goes into a state very similar to hibernation, as in, it writes everything in RAM to the HDD, so when you 'restart', it looks just like it did when you shut it down. Not really a fan of that particular trick, so, on my machines, I usually turn it off.

hibernation means if you have 16 GB ram installed your ssd starts a writing process of about 16GB to put the existing ram shapshot on the ssd before shutting down. nice for a fast wake up not so nice to the limited write cycles of a ssd. while reading from ssd does no harm writing means wear and tear. but as heyyou said, newer ssd can write more data before failing. so you can do it, but it shortens the life cycle of your ssd a small bit.