Issue with ported LE follower to sse.

DarkenPixie

I ported a mod over from LE and everything seems to be working fine other than the fact his torso seems to be floating and doesn't move from the rest of his body. His hands, feet and head move normally just not his mid section. I've tried everything and can't seem to fix it. Anyone have a idea? Thanks!

I assume we're talking about a male follower with his own body meshes, right?

"Oldrim" meshes SHOULD basically work in SE, although it is not recommended to use them. Especially in the case of body meshes you might have issues (as you already have).

There's two things you can try:

1. Run the body meshes through "Nif Optimizer". Caution: You'll have to process the head mesh and head parts (eyes, mouth, hair) with the "head parts only" checkbox ticked and the body meshes (torso, hands and feet) without the "head parts" option separately from each other. And OFC you should backup the original files before.

2. IMHO the best solution: Use a male body replacer of your choice (or the vanilla meshes) made for SE and replace your follower's body meshes with these files. BTW, you would still have to convert the head and headparts with Nif Optimizer.

Thanks! I found out that if I optimize the armor the male follower came with and then installing the mod it would cause that mesh explosion issue. I started on a fresh copy and didn't optimize the armor this time and it fixed that issue, but now his gloves and legs are invisible. I then tried to optimize the armor with nif optimizer with the mod installed but it didn't change.

I also took those gear pieces from him and his hands and legs are still invisible. Can I download different armor and replace his or is his armor attached to his body meshes im someway? Sorry, im kind of new to porting mods from le.

Edit:I should add that when I optimized the armor files before installation that I could see his legs and hands but with the mesh explosion. I saw someone on another post talk about it could be a issue with the face gen files and tried making sure all those were optimized but tha didn't fix the issue either.

A tool you will probably find very useful is Cathedral Assets Optimizer (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/23316). As the descriptions says "An automation tool used to optimize BSAs, meshes, textures and animations. It allows quickly porting an Oldrim mod to Skyrim Special Edition, and can optimize assets for many Bethesda games." I've used it many times have had very good results.

A tool you will probably find very useful is Cathedral Assets Optimizer (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/23316). As the descriptions says "An automation tool used to optimize BSAs, meshes, textures and animations. It allows quickly porting an Oldrim mod to Skyrim Special Edition, and can optimize assets for many Bethesda games." I've used it many times have had very good results.

That is what I used to convert the follower but it left the armor untouched. So I had to manually go in and do it my self. :(

I also took those gear pieces from him and his hands and legs are still invisible. Can I download different armor and replace his or is his armor attached to his body meshes im someway? Sorry, im kind of new to porting mods from le.

Armor usually can't be "ported" by simply running it through a nif optimizer. But I wouldn't bother too much with armor. You can always equip a follower with a different armor in game. Practically all follower frameworks like Nether's follower framework (my recommendation), AFT or EFF can do that.

You could also change his outfit e.g. by assigning some vanilla armor parts as "default armor" in the Creation Kit.

OFC the "invisible body parts" issue needs to be solved. As I said above: Replace the custom body meshes of your follower with SE meshes. If you use a male body replacer, copy its meshes from data/meshes/actors/character/character assets to the corresponding folder of your follower. You're looking for 6 files: malebody_0.nif, malebody_1.nif, malefeet_0.nif, malefeet_1.nif, malehands_0.nif and malehands_1.nif.

If you want to use the vanilla meshes, you would have to extract the "Skyrim_Meshes.bsa" files (there are two) with a BSA extractor and then copy the now extracted meshes over. Folder structure and file names in the extracted bsa are the same as mentioned above.

Armor usually can't be "ported" by simply running it through a nif optimizer. But I wouldn't bother too much with armor. You can always equip a follower with a different armor in game. Practically all follower frameworks like Nether's follower framework (my recommendation), AFT or EFF can do that.

You could also change his outfit e.g. by assigning some vanilla armor parts as "default armor" in the Creation Kit.

OFC the "invisible body parts" issue needs to be solved. As I said above: Replace the custom body meshes of your follower with SE meshes. If you use a male body replacer, copy its meshes from data/meshes/actors/character/character assets to the corresponding folder of your follower. You're looking for 6 files: malebody_0.nif, malebody_1.nif, malefeet_0.nif, malefeet_1.nif, malehands_0.nif and malehands_1.nif.

If you want to use the vanilla meshes, you would have to extract the "Skyrim_Meshes.bsa" files (there are two) with a BSA extractor and then copy the now extracted meshes over. Folder structure and file names in the extracted bsa are the same as mentioned above.

Thank you so much!! I was finally able to get it fixed all thanks to your help! :smile: