Inconstant crashing: FO4 VS. Windows 10?

edgeburner

I also leave my PC on around the clock. I don't have the screen set to turn off at any point.

If I know i'm gonna leave it, I turn it off myself.

I haven't played many hours since creating this new cache-clearing task, but so far I haven't been able to successfully create a new hard save.

However, it seems like i'm able to create unlimited quicksaves and autosaves now.

Which is completely ass-backwards to what i've been experiencing for the last few years. So strange. Could just be a fluke at this point, though.

Windows will automagically cache some stuff in ram, whether you are using it or not.... As you play, yeah, memory usage will go up, but, it *should* drop back down to more normal levels once you exit the game. It appears your is not. Wonder if you have a mod causing a memory leak in there somewhere.

LucidLady.....Good to hear! I found time to play three times yesterday and, on the third time, when the game usually chokes and crashes on saved game load....it loaded right up and ran for hours without issue. Keep your fingers crossed!
You can make hard saves now?

HeyYou....I research mods before installation...browsing thought the "post and bugs" section on the mod page. didn't see any post concerning memory leakage. Of course, that is no guarantee. I have a very modest load order for this game. I also use MO2. Feel free to look over my load order if you wish. Any tips would be appreciated. The reason I started this thread is because I was wondering if perhaps there was an issue with the Windows 10 memory cache and Fallout 4. Not necessarily mods, but, the game code vs. windows 10. I haven't updated to Windows 10-2004 yet, though it's sitting there waiting,
Thanks.

Btw: If anyone out there is experiencing the "144hz bug" on in-game computer terminals, stand back as far and as far right from the terminal as you can and still get the dialogue box. Of course, save your game before attempting to read a terminal....especially if there is a chair in front of it.

Yeah I haven't had a hard save fail since those first two.

Had a couple of quicksave crashes, but nowhere NEAR as frequently. Same goes for Autosaves.

*crosses fingers into pretzels* OwO

I wish I would have monitored what happened with my cached memory before this. All I know is that even after a full restart of my PC, it was hanging around 5gb. I don't know if it went higher while playing then went back down afterwards.

It's strange that yours would start off so low and then just keep climbing and climbing. Is THAT normal?

I suppose I could turn off the auto-clear task, but.... i'ma not be doin' that.

I wish i had done some more testing also, though, creating that "Empty Standby list" task seems to have cured the late in the day load problem. I occasionally play the game three different times a day. It was on that third time load that the issue occurred, which was resolved with restarting my PC....THAT was what led me to the memory cache. As far as the creeping memory cache being normal....no load/performance issues occurred later in the day with other games, which were more demanding as far as system resources, so i wasn't monitoring the cache.

I've only been playing Fallout 4 for about two months, and, have probably had more issues with it than I had with Oblivion, Skyrim and SE, Fallout 3 and NV combined...all running on much larger load orders than Fallout 4. Oh well....ya mod and ya learn. :)