Fallout 4 inconsistent CTDs

Amefox

The game has become pretty much unplayable due to the constant and seemingly unfixable CTDs that seemingly happen without warning at completely random times.

I've tried reinstalling the game, using resaver on the save, reinstalling all the enabled mods, making sure none of the mods are conflicting, used loot to make sure the load order was good, set fo4 and radeon settings to maximize performance, made sure all the mods were up to date and not missing any dependencies or patches, going through each individual mod with new game save to pinpoint which mods might be causing it, checking the mod pages to see if anyone was having a similar issue, updating my drivers, etc.

Nothing seems to be working and it really just sucks bc the game at one point ran completely fine but even without removing or adding mods mid playthrough it still crashes.

Currently running a rx 580 with 8gb of ram and the latest radeon adrenalin update while the game is installed on a samsung evo 970 ssd

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many mods are you using?

If you're using more than 1oo mods, don't use LOOT. You'll have to organize it yourself.

Also, if you're using more than 1oo mods, don't use UFO4 Patch.

8gb ram is a wee bit low. Give the PhyOp textures mod a shot if you're not already using it.

Are you using any ENB mods? With your system specs that might be trouble.

Are you using Sim Settlements? If so - how many settlements do you have running, and how big are they? That mod is particularly taxing on the system.

I myself have nearly 300 mods up and running in my game, and the ONLY time i ever crash is a fraction of the time whenever i'm trying to Save.

[EDIT]

I just checked your plugins. So yes, you are using more than 1oo mods. That means you can't trust LOOT to organize it properly, you'll have to do it yourself.

Also, you're using Anime Race, but it's not at the very bottom of your load order. It really needs to be.

Your load order is a complete mess, fix that up @_@

I'll tell you how i organize my own load order -

First - the mods that snap to the top of your load order no matter what, can't really organize those.

Second - Settlement mods

- - - - - Mods that add new settlements

- - - - - Followed by mods that alter settlement functionality [more build limit, unlocked dlc buildable objects, etc]

- - - - - Followed by mods that add buildable items to the build-mode menu

- - - - - Followed by Patches for build mode mods

Third - Mods that tweak and alter the game in broad little ways

- - - - - Changes to sneak mechanics, Cell respawn timers, Combat damage variables, Faction tweaks, Quicktrade, Player comments, things like that.

- - - - - Auto-Looting mods, Mods that make Radstags friendly, Mods like Chill Pill, No Death Weapon Drop, Level Cap, Edits to how Melee combat works

- - - - -

Fourth - Mods that add NPCs to locations

- - - - - Goodneighbor Neighborhood Watch, NPCs Travel, Dr Goodneighbor, Better Goodneighbor and Better Third Rail, etc.

Fifth - Quest Mods.

- - - - - Start with the bigger quest mods and place smaller quest mods beneath them.

- - - - - Combat Zone Restored goes here, too.

- - - - - If you have any patches between quest mods, place them where appropriate in this section.

Sixth - Settlement Overhaul mods -> Mods that alter the Settlement Framework in any way

- - - - - This might seem like an odd location for these types of mods, but go with it.

- - - - - Anything that cleans up a settlement, or makes it look entirely different.

- - - - - Also if you have any mods which add special, unique NPCs to a base-game, or new settlement goes here.

- - - - - Mods that remove invisible markers from settlements

- - - - - Mods that add new settlers

- - - - - Mods like Conquest or Portable Workshop

- - - - - Transfer Settlements goes here

- - - - - Mods that make Home Plate (and similar settlements) into Full settlements

- - - - - No Random Mercer Safehouse mod

Seventh - Companion related mods, and any mods that alter or replace NPCs.

- - - - - Start with NPC replacers

- - - - - Followed by invisible companion tweaks -> Visible Companion Affinity, Dialogue tweaks, Additional Followers

- - - - - Followed by mods that alter NPC looks -> New Automatron parts, Companion makeovers

- - - - - Followed by mods that alter NPCs on a large scale -> Named Settlers, Settler Makeovers

Eighth - Animations and sounds

- - - - - Start with mods that add vehicles which you can ride

- - - - - Animated drinking or smoking

- - - - - Animated sex mods

- - - - - Mods that change how weapons sound

- - - - - Mods that alter player's voice or other NPC voices

- - - - - Mods that add new animations to walking or all rifles or all pistols or all 1hand melee weapons

- - - - - 3rd person movement altering mods

Ninth - Weather, terrain and lighting

- - - - - Anything that effects timescale in the game counts

- - - - - CLO Custom Lighting Overhaul or other ENBs go here

- - - - - Mods that remove shadows for performance

- - - - - Nightvision altering mods

- - - - - Godray removers or enhancers

- - - - - More Grass mods

- - - - - Mods that change textures in game, to increase performance or make bricks look better or something.

Tenth - Style mods

- - - - - Start with anything affecting NPC heights

- - - - - Hair and makeup -> New eyes

- - - - - CBBE comes next -> Followed by Skin replacers

- - - - - Looksmenu comes next -> Followed by Overlays and Customization Compendium

- - - - - Pip-pad or other Pipboy altering mods comes next

Eleventh - Weapons

- - - - - Straightforward. If it adds a new weapon to the game, put it here.

- - - - - If the weapon adds new animations, put it at the bottom of this section

Twelfth - Armor and Clothing

- - - - - If it is equip-able to your character from the Armor section, it goes here.

- - - - - This doesn't include mods which work like a toggle (like CLO Remote) from the equip section.

- - - - - If the armor or clothing has additional, special script effects, put it at the bottom of this section.

- - - - - If it's a clothing patch, it goes here. Like something that alters how NPCs dress on a wide scale. [Like Hookers of the Commonwealth patch to make them stop wearing EasyGirl outfits]

Thirteenth - Armor and Weapon Framework altering mods

- - - - - UCO, Armorsmith Extended, Wacky Weapons Workshop, New Legendary Effects,

Fourteenth - Finally, any mods that are finicky. Mods that have trouble working if not placed beneath everything else. Or mods that you want to make SURE work. Mods with heavy, frequently-used scripts.

- - - - - Outfit Switcher, FO4Hotkeys, Cheat Terminal, Custom Camera, Console mods, Item Sorting mods, ESP Explorer, Mods that alter how you eat/drink

- - - - - Race Customizer, followed by Anime Race goes at the bottom.

Edited by LucidLady

attachicon.gif plugins.txt

hows this?

wasnt sure about the stuff like new calibers patches and stuff that add things like aid items

Honestly that load order still looks kinda jacked up.

For instance, why is your Pip-Pad LMCC loaded before Pip-Pad?

If you have a patch for something, the patch should always be loaded after the main file.

New calibers patches should be loaded after New Calibers.

Why isn't Modular Kitchen up with the other building mods?

SMM should come before Workshop Rearranged.

If all a mod does is add chems or other simple items to the game, it can go up in the Third section. I have a blank line there, I must have deleted that and forgotten before posting.

I'd like to post my actual load order for you to look at, but I don't know how to on this website.

Edited by LucidLady

Oh, you're using MO. I'm unfamiliar with how the load order file looks with that.

Are the mods with an *asterisk the ones that are enabled?

Also i've never used New Calibers, so i'm not sure how that mod works. I just assumed it's a mod that has a main esp or esl file, with subsequent patch files.

yeah the ones with the astericks are the acitve ones

and new calibers add a bunch new ammo types replacing a lot of the old ones and all the subsequent patches are to allow weapon mods to use said ammo types instead of the vanilla ones

OK, i'll try and ignore the ones without *asterisks.

In the case of New Calibers, just make sure to load New Calibers main file after all of your weapon mods (in the Thirteenth section - with all the other weapons/armor framework altering mods), then add any further specific patches for NC after the main file.

This most recent load order of yours looks even worse D:

Did you put it through LOOT or something?

Why isn't Nakanochan at the bottom of the load order? It really needs to be at the bottom, beneath everything else.

Please, please look at my load order. See where Race Customizer and Nakanochan are? You need to place yours just like that.

You are asking for crashes if you don't.

The LO you posted before this one was much better.