Fallout 4 inconsistent CTDs

Amefox

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the new calibers esp always snaps to the same location so theres nothing i can do about that and i did as you said which was put all the patches below it and like i said i disabled a lot of the plugins including decay, workshop rearranged, and some others

i just disabled true storms and live dismemberment

and whispering hills adds silent hill monsters, fog, and the other world which has a random chance of pulling you in and throwing a bunch of monsters at you

(ugh, i keep quoting myself instead of you x_x)

I see, well just make sure to put the New Caliber's patches beneath the Gun mods that they're pertaining to, in that case.

So you're saying Whispering Hills doesn't touch any base-game quests? All it does is add new NPCs or change the looks of existing NPCs?

it still goes where I said, but if it DOES touch any quests (or add any quests), then it will count more as a quest mod. Placed high in the quest mods section, though.

i'm using mo2 and have about 450 active mods installed including ufo with ultra settings. i do not not use loot for sorting- or at least just as a hint. my game runs pretty stable.

my system orccupies in some external regions the full 11GB of vram of my video card and most of the 32 GB ram (up to 27GB monitored with task manager) installed.

so a modded fo4 can be quite hardware intensive.

1. make sure youre hardware works rockstable

2. use a reasonable load order like the lucid lady ones

3. do not trust loot blindly

4. use a mo preset with vanilla settings and check if instability persists.

if there is no anymore go to step 5. if there is still one check your setup and hardware.

5. if not try to figure out which mod(s) raises the instability. i do this always by using iteraton test method. it is the the most reliable way to identify a conflicting mod.

so create mo test profiles and begin with deactivating the last half of your mod list. if game still crashes the error must be in the remaing half. go on with this until you are shure which mod is the reason and exclude it! you need a maximum of 6 to 8 iterations to find the mod.

confim it by activating and deactivating it a few times. mo has the big advantage to be able to test this way and i recommend to do it!

with this method i was able to find all mods raising instabilies in my setup even with 450 mods installed.

another recommendation: read always the bug reports and threads of the mods you like to install before installing them! this may save you a lot of problems and frustration. most mods i identified had already a fittiing bug report or fitting user complains in the thread.

scrap everything works if correctly installed and placed at the end of the load order

Ah good, someone more familiar with MO. :D That should be helpful.

Yes, if you ever find yourself terribly confused as to where a mod belongs - and it's a big/complex mod - LOOT may be able to suggest a good location.

But if you're going to use more than a dozen or so mods, you should organize it yourself.

Scrap Everything definitely belongs much lower in the load order than it's been placed here, if you're gonna insist on using it.

But even if it doesn't crash your game - it absolutely will lag your game. I don't find the benefits worth the system drain, personally. Better to install individual clean-up mods per settlement and flag them as esl, if possible.