Make enchantment applicable

My steps so far:

I made an item enchantment

put it on an item

obtained that item in game (and verified that it works as intended)

disenchanted item

enchantment is now in my list of know enchantments

But

I can't enchant anything with it.

Assumed problem:

I can't find the place where it is defined on what item type an enchantment can be applied. Where do i define this?

In case it matters for wacky skyrim bug reasons:

It's a fortify destruction enchantment.

All interfaces including the automatically generated display % of increased damage indicate that it works. Spells also show higher numbers in damage when the ring is equipped. I figured using fortify archery as base would be the most logical for gameplay and engine reasons.

It's the first time i am messing with the creation kit. So i have no clue what is going on or what kind of other information might be useful.

It very much depends on your enchantment.

Some enchantments the game 'knows' to put on gloves, swords, armour, etc. These are fixed in the game engine.

You can add enchantments in CK that break these rules, but your original item will still work, as intended, in-game. You can disenchant the item and learn the enchantment, but the game can't apply it to a new item.

I think that's your problem.

This is also why the keyword 'MagicDisallowEnchanting' is used a lot. It stops players from disenchanting things they can never use again.

P.S. I've got enchantments that fortify destruction and destruction spell power to work. They can also be disenchanted. The trick is in limiting the armor/weapon it can be applied to and knowing if it can be applied to that kind of thing in vanilla

So what i want to do is simply not within the abilities of the creation kit?

As in it's not that i did not find the option, it simply isn't there?

Bummer.

But thanks for the answer. At the very least i can now stop going crazy about searching for it.

Really a pity, i really liked the enchanting system and things that you just can't craft always feel so much like missed opportunity. Like some hole in the content in front of me.

Do you know how to work around that? Modify files manually to make it enchantable?

I don't remember if i already did that so I will just ask:

if copy fortify archery and change its effect to fortify destruction. Would it work then? Or is the target item restriction bound to the fortification effect itself?

Edited by sdfgsdfsfsf

I've made enchantments of fortify all schools of magic and they work.

So you're doing something wrong.

The worn restrictions on the enchantment are what dictates which specific types of clothing can be used. These are formlists of armor keywords. I don't know if the enchantment can be applied to anything if you haven't added a 'worn restriction' formlist. All enchantments on armour have one. Weapons are different because they can be applied by the player to any weapon (except arrows).

If you don't like the standard ones, just make your own formlist. I did for my 'Power Of The Destructor' enchantments because they were too OP to allow them to be worn on 4 items of armor. I made a formlist to just permit necklace and ring.

In case you haven't already done it, create a base enchantment and add it to your main enchantments. This is what the player will learn and it is less powerful than any enchantment the player can find. If you don't do this and give the player a ring with 50% fortify destruction power, by the time they get to 100 enchanting skill and have all the perks and Ahzidal's armour, they'll be making rings with ridiculously OP enchantments. I set my base enchantment to 8% and still thought it was too OP to apply to 4 items of armour. Also, getting a good boost to destruction power using 2 items, left another 2 for the player to use other enchantments on. Win-win.

What is the category name of the items listed under "worn restriction"?

They are under 'formlists'. I wrote that in my last post. Maybe it wasn't clear enough.

Once you find that, Every armour enchantment has a formlist name such as 'EnchantmentHealth' and 'EnchantmentDestruction'. Open that form and you'll see all the keywords that this enchantment needs to see before it will apply the enchantment. Only base items with a keyword that is in this list can be enchanted with your enchantment.

Make a base enchantment and apply it as I outlined in my earlier post. Add the 'Worn Restrictions' formlist to that. You can add it to all the other more powerful enchantments, but that's not really necessary. Bethesda did and it does no harm.