Low FPS (fps drops) caused by candles - is there a solution?

AlvyssGaming

Hello there,

first, I hope I've put this thread in the right category because I don't know if it's more a problem of Skyrim (SE), a particular mod (ENB Light?) or with my ENB (Natural View Tamriel - NVT). Although I think it will be connected to the last two.

The problem: Every candle that shows up decreases my fps badly. Especially if there are a lot of candles (dungeons for example!) I have a slideshow. This game runs relatively smooth on all other scenarios, that is why I think it must be a solution to this. I already tried using a mpscandleflame01.nif from another mod or even deleting it - it doesn't change anything. It seems to have a correlation to the ENB Option BigRange - if this is disabled, the problem seems to be gone, but I don't want to do this because it destroys much of the image quality ENB (and the Mod ENB Light) offers.

I've already optimized my settings with BethINI (High or Medium Preset, lowering Particle Amount and ShadowResolution) and set lower settings to ShadowQuality in ENB Options. The Mod "Candle Lag Fix" doesn't change anything either.

Graphics card: GTX 1070

Processor: Ryzen 7 3700X

RAM: 16 GB DDR4-3200

(Monitor-Resolution: 2560x1440)

My Mod- (Plugin)list:
https://pastebin.pl/view/50e9dc38

I hope someone have a idea how to solve it. Thanks in advance for your help!

Unfortunately, ENB light can have high performance costs in some situations. What happens, if you disable it altogether?

TBH, on my old rig (a tad weaker than yours) I simply couldn't use ENB light. While it looked nice, it gave me a slideshow...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello!

After struggling with this problem for quite some time, I have found a solution that works flawlessly!

I currently have an I7-7700K that was paired with a 1080ti, and now paired with a 3070 and still experienced low candle FPS.

I use mods such as Inferno, ENB Light, and Rudy ENB for Cathedral Weathers [Rudy/Cathedral ENB] (Which is the FPS killer in this situation)

After a lot of tweaking and no luck with SkyrimPrefs.ini and Skyrim.ini, I played around with the enblocal.ini and enbseries.ini in order to troubleshoot the problem, as the d3d11.dll and d3dcompiler_46e.dll were not the cause of the issue. Rendering candles with only the enb .dll files consumed about 20% of my GPU vram (in game, so this scene is good)

As soon as I installed the enblocal.ini and enbseries.ini from Rudy/Cathedral ENB, the candles took a severe performance hit, with my GPU usage at 99% and my FPS dipping below 30 (with iMaxParticles at 750)

reducing particles only increased performance marginally, but GPU usage was at 99% still, which for an indoor environment is absolutely ridiculous. I realized the problem is from the effects from enbseries.ini (from Rudy/Cathedral ENB)

In game I tweaked with complexparticles settings by hitting "~" key, and then opening the enbseries.ini in game. I stood in front of an arcane enchanter in Dragonsreach, with only 30FPS tops. I opened [ComplexParticleLights] and set "EnableBigRange=false"

Result: candles not overly bright, still pleasing to look at, GPU usage went from 99% back down to 20% and I achieved solid 60FPS.

TL;DR: in enbseries.ini: [ComplexParticleLights] and set "EnableBigRange=false"

If anyone figures out a different way to solve the issue please let me know, but this did the trick for me and I'm still VERY happy with the aesthetics of this ENB.

Thank you it worked!

Hello!

After struggling with this problem for quite some time, I have found a solution that works flawlessly!

I currently have an I7-7700K that was paired with a 1080ti, and now paired with a 3070 and still experienced low candle FPS.

I use mods such as Inferno, ENB Light, and Rudy ENB for Cathedral Weathers [Rudy/Cathedral ENB] (Which is the FPS killer in this situation)

After a lot of tweaking and no luck with SkyrimPrefs.ini and Skyrim.ini, I played around with the enblocal.ini and enbseries.ini in order to troubleshoot the problem, as the d3d11.dll and d3dcompiler_46e.dll were not the cause of the issue. Rendering candles with only the enb .dll files consumed about 20% of my GPU vram (in game, so this scene is good)

As soon as I installed the enblocal.ini and enbseries.ini from Rudy/Cathedral ENB, the candles took a severe performance hit, with my GPU usage at 99% and my FPS dipping below 30 (with iMaxParticles at 750)

reducing particles only increased performance marginally, but GPU usage was at 99% still, which for an indoor environment is absolutely ridiculous. I realized the problem is from the effects from enbseries.ini (from Rudy/Cathedral ENB)

In game I tweaked with complexparticles settings by hitting "~" key, and then opening the enbseries.ini in game. I stood in front of an arcane enchanter in Dragonsreach, with only 30FPS tops. I opened [ComplexParticleLights] and set "EnableBigRange=false"

Result: candles not overly bright, still pleasing to look at, GPU usage went from 99% back down to 20% and I achieved solid 60FPS.

If anyone figures out a different way to solve the issue please let me know, but this did the trick for me and I'm still VERY happy with the aesthetics of this ENB.

• 2 weeks later...

This didnt work for me :( i dont have ENB light i just have ENB and OBsdian weathers. nothing else

Hello!

• 9 months later...

There is a succesfull way to make a very optimized setup with ENB and Lights.

If you take a look into Relighting Skyrim - ELE - ENB Light Description Pages you will find some data that will lead you to the solution.

Its a long process.

You have to control light sources directly and Patch your load order.

You can control which light sources will benefit of what radius and light strength which ones will use ComplexParticleLights etc.

It requires some research and SSEedit work.

Personally i only use Relighting Skyrim - Windows Shadows and whatever Firesource - Torch - Candle modification without ComplexParticleLights.

But i would say its worth it to use ELE and ENB Light and create the best and most balanced setup for your Load Order.

I am just too lazy to do it because its a long process and requires alot of testing/ tweak - rinse and repeat but totally worth it and works.