xPsykes

It's actually kinda hilarious if you get the quest successfully from Preston - then go to Tenpines and kill them before talking to them.

You go back to Preston and tell him that you failed to get them to join the Minutemen.

Preston's reaction is funny XD

The ONLY way you can fail to get them to join you is by killing them.

Also you might not have to kill those settlers. If you take their quest yourself, I don't think Preston will send you to help them. He'll send you elsewhere, I believe.

I just... like killing them.

Edited by LucidLady

I took their quest they were kidnapped and I paid the ransom, though I tried it again with the patch and start me up and it wouldn't work so I believe those two mods are problematic in this case unless I'm really unlucky

I took their quest they were kidnapped and I paid the ransom, though I tried it again with the patch and start me up and it wouldn't work so I believe those two mods are problematic in this case unless I'm really unlucky

Try it with just StartMeUp - not UFO4Patch.

The UFO4Patch has been giving a ton of people similar problems lately, it's kinda crazy.

And considering how large your load order is, it might be the sole problem. You shouldn't use UFO4Patch with large load orders.