No Master Files Available

This is my first time trying to use the Special Edition Creation kit, ive tried to use the oldrim one but never been successful with it either. I am trying to make a follower NPC out of my player character, but im running into issues as soon as I launch the program lol.

When I go to select a master file to set as active, there are none to select from in the list. Ive tried to google it but I cant really find anyone else not having any master files show up at all, I assume its because its a very simple thing maybe most people wouldn't have trouble with lol and maybe Its just over my head. I also get a warning that says the program cant find a few specific mesh files, I dont know if this has to do with the fact my game is pretty modded or what, but If anyone knows what the problem might be I would really appreciate the help! Like I said Ive never really used the Creation Kit or done any modding really so I have no idea what could be going on.

I will note that the creation kit is in a separate folder than skyrim (skyrim in my steam folder and the kit in the bethesda launcher folder) But I didn't think that would be an issue.

these are the files it says it cant find, I thought I would add this info because im not sure if its related to my master files not appearing:

Could not find model Meshes\Sky\Atmosphere.nif
Could not find model Meshes\Sky\Clouds.nif
Could not find model Meshes\Water\DefaultProceduralWater.NIF
Could not find model Meshes\TranslateGizmo.NIF
Could not find model Meshes\RotateGizmo.NIF
Could not find model Meshes\ScaleGizmo.NIF
Could not find model Meshes\PrimitiveGizmo.NIF

I believe that IS your issue! Put the CK in the same folder as your master files.

okay I will try that, thank you! Do you think I just need to move the creation kit .exe file? Or the whole folder containing it and the other files alongside it?

Edit: I tried both and neither worked, though maybe I messed up, I tried just the .exe and it needed me to manually show it where some .ini file was that i couldnt find in the original file directory it was installed to. I then tried putting the folder containing the CK's .exe and all the other files in that folder in the skyrim special edition folder, so they weren't in the exact same folder as the master file, the master file is in the Data folder, and it would seem odd to put them loosely in there, so they were in their own folder at the same level as the folder containing the master files. Afterward I tried copying over the master file from the skyrim SE data folder into the CK's data folder and then it did show up in the list finally but it wouldn't allow me to set it as active and then the CK crashed lmao. So im guessing it needs to have the data files merged somehow? Perhaps i should loosely add all the files from the CK main folder into the Skyrim SE folder and combine the Data folders? Im just scared to corrupt my install accidentally or something.

If you have any other suggestions on what to do id still very much appreciate it! Thank you again :smile:

Edited by chloeismagic

The fact the CK found the masters when they were in the same folder is what you are after. I am not at my pc right now but the CK.exe is in the same folder as the masters for me. If that is the data folder then so be it.

I have never tried making a master the active file in the CK so I can not help you here. I have always used plug ins to alter anything. So the masters do not get touched.

Edit* back up any folders you are messing with if you are worried about messing anything up :)

Edited by TyburnKetch