"The thing" - another Institute experiment

SpiritTauren

FEV-based "the thing" made by the Institute.

--

So, I'm just starting to learn modding Bethesda games (switching from Warcraft 3). I'll eventually try to implement this idea myself, if no similar project exists by that hypothetical moment in future. In the mean time, I'm posting the idea here, should someone else (more talented) take liking to the idea. I'm all about sharing info and developing open source projects. Therefore, it's not a request per se, rather a sort of food for thought.

--

Idea concept:

FEV (and the way its origin and variants are handled in most recent Fallout games) already allows players and mod-makers to add more or less lore-friendly (to a certain degree) creative mods (for example, the Institute centaurs).

The Institute is well known for their idiotic experiments, so why wouldn't they start another one, yet more twisted?

What if, the Institute created another variety of FEV? What if this new virus behaved like "the thing" from 1982's horror movie? Just imagine: a settler arrives to your settlement, but it's a shape-shifting creature sent by the Institute (a new experiment of some sorts).

The said creature explodes into a bloody mess of claws, teeth, appendages and tentacles and starts assimilating your settlers at night, while no one sees it. All of it can happen, while you're away on a mission (helping another settlement).

By the time you visit your least favorite settlement (Croup Manor, etc.) most of your settlers might already be the imitations... And once you go to sleep, they crawl into your bedroom and start assimilating you as well.

A blood test would be necessary to find out who is still human (synths would qualify as humans and go unnoticed, as a simple blood test doesn't reveal them). Mod integration with some key characters (like Curie, traveling doctors, maybe Lorenzo?) could be an interesting idea as well.

Remember those times when your settlers behave strangely? Wandering alone at night (obviously being synths) to the outskirts of your settlement? Now all of this has more meaning to it. Those silly "help another settlement" missions start to feel eerie and unsettling... (and rewarding).

The kidnapping missions may suddenly become a nightmarish experience: the one settler held hostage that you rescue suddenly jumps on you.

Inspecting your settlers is vital. Best weapons and armor should be distributed only to settlers that pass the blood test. Etc.

Script/behavior recycling: almost identical to the synth event (settler = disguised synth). A random event (based on Art's event) would add to the flavor.

I have no knowledge of those mechanics at this point, but I guess that recycling those events (code) would make sense.

Anyway, it's just a concept for now. As I said, I'll try to work on it, but it might take a couple of years. My Fallout mod for Warcraft 3 took 2,5 years to develop a demo map (a framework with all traits, perks, skills, turn-based mechanics, quests, communication system, etc.), so... it's a long journey.

Thank you.

Edited by SpiritTauren