Mods can't be deployed. Only Symlink available.

MHilario

Hello folks.

After a long time without touching it, i came back to Divinity: Original Sin II. But i'm facing an issue with mod deployment.

I click on "Deploy Mods" and confirm the UAC dialog. But shortly after that, the deployment is interrupted and it shows an error

stating that it couldn't create the symlinks by an elevated process.

I've tried to use hardlink, but the only deployment option available is Symlink.

As you can see on the images below, all my paths are set to the same drive of the game: F:/ . Also, you can see the full error

message and the deployment options:

I also checked my permissions on the folders, as well as the "read only" option. Everything is looking ok. The drive's format is NTFS

so it should work with hardlinks.

Can you please help me see what am i missing? I know you guys are probably tired of repeating yourselves, and i've read

a lot of threads about these issues, but i couldn't solve it. It's probably something on my system rather then in your software, but

i don't know what else i can try. Or where else i can find help.

Thank you for your time.

Divinity Original Sins 2 installs its mods in Documents so your staging folder has to be on the same drive as Documents (usually C:) _not_ the game drive if you want to use Hard-Link deployment.

Now as for the error re symlink deployment, unfortunately I honestly don't know. There has to be something unusual with your system interfering (usually that's permission settings or anti virus but that really just a wild guess) but the way this fails I have non way of providing more information than what the notification says.

If you ever figure out _what_ caused the symlink to fail on your system, pleeeeeeaaase tell us.

Divinity Original Sins 2 installs its mods in Documents so your staging folder has to be on the same drive as Documents (usually C:) _not_ the game drive if you want to use Hard-Link deployment.

Now as for the error re symlink deployment, unfortunately I honestly don't know. There has to be something unusual with your system interfering (usually that's permission settings or anti virus but that really just a wild guess) but the way this fails I have non way of providing more information than what the notification says.

If you ever figure out _what_ caused the symlink to fail on your system, pleeeeeeaaase tell us.

Thank for the quick response, Tannin42.

I didn't know about the mods folder. I moved the staging folder to my C: drive, where Documents are. Restarted Vortex but it still wont show the hardlink deployment option.

As for the symlink error, i've disabled Kaspersky, as well as Windows Security and tried to deploy. But i'm still getting the same error.

I think i have full permissions set on every relevant folder. Like game, mod staging, mod download and Vortex itself. Is there other folders i should check?

I forgot to mention i never run Vortex as admin either.

I know it was just a guess, but i figure it was worth to try and eliminate that possible causes.

Weird, could you report a feedback and attach the vortex log? (under "attach special file"). Afraid this won't get a response before Monday though.

Do you know what file system you have on c: ? Should be NTFS, don't think Windows will boot off anything else but still. Anything "unusual" you're using like file system compression or encryption on c:? Software raid?

C: is a SSD on NTFS. I have only the OS and some programs on it, and i don't use encryption or software raid, but i do have the compression option enabled on its properties, as you can see below:

Besides that, i can't think of anything unusual.

I just reported a feedback with the log file. I hope it will help.

No need to hurry though. You guys just go ahead and have a great weekend.

Thank you for your attention on this.

Maybe unrelated to the problem, but this is the case I feared. Very small boot SSD - and Vortex will default to putting mod staging folder and/or Downloads

in AppData/Roaming/Vortex. In my case - those are over 100GB each. OP has ten GB left on his boot drive.

I will say - specific to this case - 10GB free on the boot drive is just asking for trouble. Get more stuff off that drive.

I would start with relocating Windows Downloads and Documents. It is really easy to have Windows move them for you.

Maybe unrelated to the problem, but this is the case I feared. Very small boot SSD - and Vortex will default to putting mod staging folder and/or Downloads

in AppData/Roaming/Vortex. In my case - those are over 100GB each. OP has ten GB left on his boot drive.

I will say - specific to this case - 10GB free on the boot drive is just asking for trouble. Get more stuff off that drive.

I would start with relocating Windows Downloads and Documents. It is really easy to have Windows move them for you.

Yeah, i know 10gb free space is on the edge of a storage related problem in general. But since my Vortex related folders are all on drives with plenty of free space, as well as my games, i wasn't much worried about that being the issue here. My AppData/Roaming/Vortex folder is 149mb.

But it's worth to notice and a good thing to keep an eye on. I will try to free some space and see if it has an impact on this specific case.

Thank you for your suggestion. Very well observed.

EDIT:

Divinity's staging folder as well as the games mods folder are indeed on C:, which doesn't have much storage space to spare. But the Larian Studios and staging folder combined have 400mb. I have just a few mods on there. But again, it's worth to try and free some space.

Another thing i've failed to mention is that the Skyrim deployment works fine. I know it's a different game, on different folders, and it is on hardlink with everything on the same drive F:. But maybe this tells something.

Edited by MHilario

Just an update on the storage space side. After a quick look i was able to get to around 23gb free space. Although i'm sure it will help with my systems overall stability, it seem not to have an effect on the deployment issue.

Edited by MHilario

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. I'm afraid I didn't find anything enlightening in the log you sent.

I'm not able to reproduce what you're seeing by modifying windows security settings so there has to be either a separate software involved or some setting I'm not connecting to these security settings.

There are still a few options you could take (do one, not all!)

a) go to settings->workarounds and enable "symlink deployment without elevation".

If this works, perfect, but there is a good chance this will fail for the same reason the deployment currently fails

b) go to the !windows! settings->update & security->For developers and enable the "Developer Mode"

This will allow you to create symlinks without elevation entirely. Unfortunately this affects Windows as a whole. It doesn't make it less secure per se but it opens up more ways you could harm your system so -

you decide whether this is worth it. You will have to restart Vortex after you made this change.

c) in vortex, go to extensions and disable "Modtype dinput" and "modtype enb". After restarting Vortex you should now be able to enable Hardlink Deployment for the game which should work just fine.

If you do want to install enb/reshade/similar for any of your games, do it manually, outside Vortex.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm afraid I didn't find anything enlightening in the log you sent.

I'm not able to reproduce what you're seeing by modifying windows security settings so there has to be either a separate software involved or some setting I'm not connecting to these security settings.

There are still a few options you could take (do one, not all!)

a) go to settings->workarounds and enable "symlink deployment without elevation".

If this works, perfect, but there is a good chance this will fail for the same reason the deployment currently fails

b) go to the !windows! settings->update & security->For developers and enable the "Developer Mode"

This will allow you to create symlinks without elevation entirely. Unfortunately this affects Windows as a whole. It doesn't make it less secure per se but it opens up more ways you could harm your system so -

you decide whether this is worth it. You will have to restart Vortex after you made this change.

c) in vortex, go to extensions and disable "Modtype dinput" and "modtype enb". After restarting Vortex you should now be able to enable Hardlink Deployment for the game which should work just fine.

If you do want to install enb/reshade/similar for any of your games, do it manually, outside Vortex.

Thank you, Tannin.

I had already tried the option "a" without success, so i went and tried option "b". And the "Developer Mode" did the trick. Now the symlink deployment is working fine.

Maybe we'll never know exactly what the problem was, but i'm glad i could get it working again thanks to such a helpful staff as well as a community.

Thank you all for your attention. Specially Tannin42.