No "like" feature?

eshenk

There was a full-fledged post reputation system in the past in use for a while. You could +rep and -rep posts once per member. It was also aimed to be used as a means for self-moderation practically, as posts beyond a certain number of negative reputation were automatically displayed as hidden with a means to pull open and read them regardless. Meanwhile posts above a certain number of positive reputation were marked as especially helpful or something along that line.

Sadly it took only a short time until the feature was so heavily abused, folks were literally silencing authors on their own comment sections, OPs in their own topics, actual helpful or true replies have been hidden into red-marked obscurity with a warning sign,

while troll posts and personal attacks (before they were spotted and removed completely by moderation), pretty much everything that was bashing/hating on an author or OP, was +rep'ed into heavens, got a very visible mark of importance and like an official endorsement from the site to boot.

Needless to say the feature had to be forcefully removed at this point.

While I still see the people around every day who would abuse even a simple thumbs-up system the same way, with only a thumbs-up and no thumbs-down at least half of the problem would be gone. That's also the reason why there's only endorsing a mod or abstaining anymore and no thumbs-up and thumbs-down on mod pages either.

But the most simple explanation would be, this IP.Board framework is just too old for that, now.

However, if you want this to be an actual inquiry, request or suggestion of an addition to the forum features, you should post in the feedback, suggestions and questions section rather than here. There's also higher chances a CM or admin will see it and respond over there.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a full-fledged post reputation system in the past in use for a while. You could +rep and -rep posts once per member. It was also aimed to be used as a means for self-moderation practically, as posts beyond a certain number of negative reputation were automatically displayed as hidden with a means to pull open and read them regardless. Meanwhile posts above a certain number of positive reputation were marked as especially helpful or something along that line.

Sadly it took only a short time until the feature was so heavily abused, folks were literally silencing authors on their own comment sections, OPs in their own topics, actual helpful or true replies have been hidden into red-marked obscurity with a warning sign,

while troll posts and personal attacks (before they were spotted and removed completely by moderation), pretty much everything that was bashing/hating on an author or OP, was +rep'ed into heavens, got a very visible mark of importance and like an official endorsement from the site to boot.

Needless to say the feature had to be forcefully removed at this point.

While I still see the people around every day who would abuse even a simple thumbs-up system the same way, with only a thumbs-up and no thumbs-down at least half of the problem would be gone. That's also the reason why there's only endorsing a mod or abstaining anymore and no thumbs-up and thumbs-down on mod pages either.

But the most simple explanation would be, this IP.Board framework is just too old for that, now.

However, if you want this to be an actual inquiry, request or suggestion of an addition to the forum features, you should post in the feedback, suggestions and questions section rather than here. There's also higher chances a CM or admin will see it and respond over there.

I fully agree with your points, I've never been one for 'likes/dislikes' it only encourages bullying and sometimes the loss of good modders and mods, though I do appreciate the 'Endorsement' button for mods :)

I don't want a "Like" button. This isn't facebook.... On the sites where it is available, I refuse to use it. I really don't see the point.

And you could continue to refuse to use it if it existed, and those of us who would like to show appreciation for a comment or idea, could simply "LIKE" the idea, reducing the number of posts in a thread, instead of having a thread spammed with a ton of +1 posts.

I don't want a "Like" button. This isn't facebook.... On the sites where it is available, I refuse to use it. I really don't see the point.

And you could continue to refuse to use it if it existed, and those of us who would like to show appreciation for a comment or idea, could simply "LIKE" the idea, reducing the number of posts in a thread, instead of having a thread spammed with a ton of +1 posts.

That's what the minimum character limit for posts is all about. :)

But, if we get 'Likes', why not bring back 'kudos', or cookies as well?

That's what the minimum character limit for posts is all about. :smile:

Kudos is still around, you can give them on a modder's page

Indeed it is, but, only for mod authors apparently.

Uh...I'm prettu sure I've given non mod authors a kudos, it's just a real convoluted path to get there to give them one that's for sure.

Uh...I'm prettu sure I've given non mod authors a kudos, it's just a real convoluted path to get there to give them one that's for sure.

About the same path as for mod authors in my experience ... go to their Nexus Mods user page and dole out your one and only one kudo (try and give two and you turn into an Indian giver).

Now that I think about it, I believe you are correct. :)