Read this if you are new to skyrim and skyrim modding

dederara

I understand where you are coming from but i'm a bit more realistic how people will actually act. One mod at a time is extremely conservative and how long should you play before installing another? The entire main quest? Unless this is all you do, no one has time for that. I challenge anyone to Download and install ALL of those mods with Vortex following the installation and overwrite instructions printed in bold of every mod description and/or website(in SKSE and Wrye Bash cases) and show me a game breaking incompatibility. Even any potential bugs that occur will not be any worse than a vanilla issue and one can STILL get hundreds of hours with a set that improves the vanilla look and gameplay 10 fold.

Honestly though you oppose the original post sentiment that "no one should play a modded game because, boo hoo game breaky" you are still pushing the avg player away with the advice of one at a time. Sure with mods that were released last week, yeah you are on to something but 95% of this set has been around for YEARS. It's really not that scary.

I understand where you are coming from but i'm a bit more realistic how people will actually act. One mod at a time is extremely conservative and how long should you play before installing another? The entire main quest? Unless this is all you do, no one has time for that. I challenge anyone to Download and install ALL of those mods with Vortex following the installation and overwrite instructions printed in bold of every mod description and/or website(in SKSE and Wrye Bash cases) and show me a game breaking incompatibility. Even any potential bugs that occur will not be any worse than a vanilla issue and one can STILL get hundreds of hours with a set that improves the vanilla look and gameplay 10 fold.

Honestly though you oppose the original post sentiment that "no one should play a modded game because, boo hoo game breaky" you are still pushing the avg player away with the advice of one at a time. Sure with mods that were released last week, yeah you are on to something but 95% of this set has been around for YEARS. It's really not that scary.

I've taken a realistic view of the process. I look at what the mods do and how they do it, and then decide whether they're a risk that warrants installing each one with its own testing phase. Simple follower mods and the like I might install with reckless abandon, but mods that have active elements or worldspace edits deserve more scrutiny. I set out with the goal of trying to create with Vortex and SSE the modded game I always wanted in SLE and never quite got, because Nexus Mod Mangler mauled it to death (during its fatal dance with virtualization). I spent at least a year modding SLE, and I've far surpassed in SSE in a few months what I was doing in SLE. I credit Vortex with some of that success. It's not at all bug-free, but it's been playable enough that I've racked up hundreds of hours and all the Steam achievements that I never got with SLE.

I'd be a hypocrite if I told even a newbie that he had to install every mod one at a time with a lengthy testing period.

Huh... You understand where I'm coming from... well son, aside from when the game itself is updated, I spend most of my time actually playing the game, not figuring out why the game has ceased to operate. And when I install a mod and it is garbage, I generally know within ~5-10 minutes or less, (a few notable exceptions like LAL have taken longer to identify as junk) And then I purge it move back one save and I'm playing again.

And to the thread OP... it's your choice. Rush or don't rush. I wish you well either way. Play or play "fix it". your choice.

I agree you shouldn't be modding if it frustrates you. Plenty of games are great out of the box. I find it a challenge and am pleased with a simple mod success. A month of modding doesn't upset me. And when you get it right, Skyrim is beautiful. It's all in the personality.

I have been modding my game for a good 10 months on and off, pretty much testing making patches, fixing, more testing. To me, modding is fun, im sure to many here also. I like to be able to get skyrim to behave as I want it, and yes it can be frustrating at times and it will make u mad at some points, I push through it cause I like the process which is why I do it.

Cheers!

I have been modding my game for a good 10 months on and off, pretty much testing making patches, fixing, more testing. To me, modding is fun, im sure to many here also. I like to be able to get skyrim to behave as I want it, and yes it can be frustrating at times and it will make u mad at some points, I push through it cause I like the process which is why I do it.

Cheers!

Agreed. I have run into many obstacles in trying to make the game do what i want but there are way to many paths to die on one because it happened to be a dead end. I double back and choose a path of lesser resistance.

Could be that the mods i stay away from are my saving grace. As it stands i use bare bones NFF with no custom followers and i avoid ANY mod that attempts to make sweeping changes to NPC behavior. 'Run for your lives" is THE ONLY npc behavior mod i use and only because dragons will kill most of the unprotected NPCs if i didn't use it.

Follower mods are, for the most part, not anything to be feared in my experience. The mods that should scare you are the ones that make worldspace edits: they WILL crash the game if there's the wrong sort of conflict. There's a mountain of mods that make unexpected worldspace edits that often aren't even mentioned in the description, so the only way you can know is by downloading and installing it and then looking at it in Creation Kit or SSEEdit.

Oh darn, I can't click an upvote button... +1 Vulcan dude.

PS> for @Once Proud Proliferater Of The BGMC

The only mods I use on followers are Bodyslide and Racemenu., which to the best of my knowledge are considered somewhat "canon" in the panoply of "which mods should I install?".

Sometimes I tweak their textures using Paint.net (off board image processor), but mainly it's just a new mesh to comply with current standards. In fact, most of my followers are oldrim conversions.(exception, the one "fairie" follower you can download when installing the faerie race that looks like a seriously scarred, Frankenstein Natalie Portman, who is at least temporarily a follower...she has a nice smile, oddly enough