Skyrim easily maxes out 4gb vram!

aleksanderne

Hi.

After playing skyrim with gtx 680 2gb, iv had a lot of crashes, duo to vram being maxed out. (

But now i just got my gtx 680 4gb and did som bench tests and it turns out skyrim maxes out 4gb vram and crashes.

Those who think its not the vram but mods or other reasons that cuses the game to crash its not.

I lowerd some ini settings so that skyrim dosn't use more than 3.5 gb vram and I played ctd' freely for 5 houres.

And from looking at the benchmarks, Its easy to spot when skyrim reaches 4gb vram and that 1-2 min later it crashes.

I also have no other mods than textures and graphical mods like water etc.

So 4gb for skyrim is not enough with my mods and settings.

Playing at 5760x1080

With mods:

Every texture that comes with texture pack combiner. SRO, HD2K, SHD + the 67 other optional textures+ a few others.

Enb project

ClimatesOfTamriel

Lod mod.

Skyrim ini:

Is not heavly modded.

ugrids 5

shadow 2k

Shadow distant 2k

blured shadows.

water 2k

Lod's vanilla ultra.

Now if i was to enable 3d, Lush tree and grass, 4k-8k shadows(mostly cpu though) Higer Lod's

Its scary to think about how much vram skyrim would need.

Has any one els ran with this settings stable without ctd's?

This is nothing like setting everything to vanilla ultra settings for those who think that.

I use TPC (almost everything included), CoT, ENB with ultra SMAA, and tweaked LOD/shadows and I can reach about 2.8-3GB of VRAM in certain outdoor areas with my single 1080p monitor, so it doesn't surprise me that triple monitor Nvidia Surround surpasses that easily since Surround uses more VRAM. Also, check your system RAM (not VRAM) usage when the game crashes, there are many reports of the game crashing as soon as you use more than ~3.2GB of system RAM. It's possible that that is what's causing your problem, not the using too much VRAM. Filling up your card's video memory should hurt your framerate, but not necessarily crash the game.

But yeah, you won't be able to play with Surround, 3D Vision, 7 ugrids, ultra LOD/shadows/flora, and TPC while staying under 4GB of VRAM, it just won't happen. You'll need to compromise somewhere. :/

Edit: ENB shouldn't be an issue. That's taxing your GPU's processing power more than VRAM. It uses up some VRAM too, but it's dwarfed in comparison to 3x1080p Surround and TPC.

Edited by Psychosoma

First you are running pretty nasty resolution. 3 FullHD monitors is pretty badass.

Now, are you using any type of antialliasing? msaa (2x, 4x, 8x), fxaa?

You can turn it off, that should clear lots of vram.

HD textures then also take a lot of space.

I would be interested if you used just one monitor with 1920*1080 resolution and made a comparison how much vram is being used. Also what is the difference with turned on and off antialliasing.

Oh and enable loging in skyrim and check those papyrus logs. It might give you a hint if it crashed due to lack of vram or bug in the game/mods.

I use TPC (almost everything included), CoT, ENB with ultra SMAA, and tweaked LOD/shadows and I can reach about 2.8-3GB of VRAM in certain outdoor areas with my single 1080p monitor, so it doesn't surprise me that triple monitor Nvidia Surround surpasses that easily since Surround uses more VRAM. Also, check your system RAM (not VRAM) usage when the game crashes, there are many reports of the game crashing as soon as you use more than ~3.2GB of system RAM. It's possible that that is what's causing your problem, not the using too much VRAM. Filling up your card's video memory should hurt your framerate, but not necessarily crash the game.

But yeah, you won't be able to play with Surround, 3D Vision, 7 ugrids, ultra LOD/shadows/flora, and TPC while staying under 4GB of VRAM, it just won't happen. You'll need to compromise somewhere. :/

Edit: ENB shouldn't be an issue. That's taxing your GPU's processing power more than VRAM. It uses up some VRAM too, but it's dwarfed in comparison to 3x1080p Surround and TPC.

Hi, yeah i will check my mem usage while playing.

WIth the 3 monitors and all the textures my FPS 25-50 mostly around 33 isn't bad considering i got 8 AA and 16AF forced trough Control pannel.

I'm in a similar situation, running two SLI 680s with 4gb of vram each, and surround at 3880 by 1920. I was using the maxed out texture pack combiner, and a bunch of other mods, No ENB I was constantly running into the 4gb max on my cards, definitly caused stuttering and probably some crashes. Since I stopped running the texture pack combiner I have far fewer crashes. When I ran the same settings on a singly monitor I never hit 3gb usage though. I am hopping that the rumors about a 6GB GK110 based nvidia card are true, cuz with an extra 2GB I figure that I should be able to run the settings I want.

Hi.

After playing skyrim with gtx 680 2gb, iv had a lot of crashes, duo to vram being maxed out. (

But now i just got my gtx 680 4gb and did som bench tests and it turns out skyrim maxes out 4gb vram and crashes.

Those who think its not the vram but mods or other reasons that cuses the game to crash its not.

I lowerd some ini settings so that skyrim dosn't use more than 3.5 gb vram and I played ctd' freely for 5 houres.

And from looking at the benchmarks, Its easy to spot when skyrim reaches 4gb vram and that 1-2 min later it crashes.

Playing at 5760x1080

With mods:

Every texture that comes with texture pack combiner. SRO, HD2K, SHD + the 67 other optional textures+ a few others.

Enb project

ClimatesOfTamriel

Lod mod.

Skyrim ini:

Is not heavly modded.

ugrids 5

shadow 2k

Shadow distant 2k

blured shadows.

water 2k

Lod's vanilla ultra.

Now if i was to enable 3d, Lush tree and grass, 4k-8k shadows(mostly cpu though) Higer Lod's

This is nothing like setting everything to vanilla ultra settings for those who think that.

Ok for starters the res you play in will need two x2 of your graphics card, easily 3-6 gb of v-ram for skyrim with high-res texture mods at that res.

Another thing to keep in mind is ugridstoload, did you use a higher setting to begin with ?. If this is set higher than 5 and all relative ini settings up'ed to match, your high res textures will load further away using more vram, I strongly recommend keeping it set to default 5, this also greatly reduces the fabled outdoor look/turn stuttering. I also see the word "8k" in your post, never at any point are 8k textures needed at today's resolutions unless you are partially sighted.

Edit: I use a single GTX670 2gb @ 1920 x 1200 with all high res texture mods i can find and i never have CTD because of it, but the 2gb does get very nearly maxed at times.

Edited by del_boy

Hi.

Playing at 5760x1080

With mods:

Enb project

ClimatesOfTamriel

Lod mod.

Skyrim ini:

Is not heavly modded.

ugrids 5

shadow 2k

Shadow distant 2k

blured shadows.

water 2k

Lod's vanilla ultra.

Ok for starters the res you play in will need two x2 of your graphics card, easily 3-6 gb of v-ram for skyrim with high-res texture mods at that res.

Another thing to keep in mind is ugridstoload, did you use a higher setting to begin with ?. If this is set higher than 5 and all relative ini settings up'ed to match, your high res textures will load further away using more vram, I strongly recommend keeping it set to default 5, this also greatly reduces the fabled outdoor look/turn stuttering. I also see the word "8k" in your post, never at any point are 8k textures needed at today's resolutions unless you are partially sighted.

Edit: I use a single GTX670 2gb @ 1920 x 1200 with all high res texture mods i can find and i never have CTD because of it, but the 2gb does get very nearly maxed at times.

HI. Yeah well fps wise, my fps is actually quit good with just 1 GTX 680, though I'm getting sli soon. (If not the new gtx titanium with 6gb comes and seems like a good option ill buy that instead.

uGridsToLoad=5

uInterior Cell Buffer=64

uExterior Cell Buffer=100

Now i know the Cell buffers are way higer than normal with Ugrids 5, but cell buffer size is connected to the Ram and shouldnt impact vram?

I got 16gb corsair so want to utilize itas best as possible, though skyrim cant use more than 4gb.

Hi.

Playing at 5760x1080

With mods:

Enb project

ClimatesOfTamriel

Lod mod.

Skyrim ini:

Is not heavly modded.

ugrids 5

shadow 2k

Shadow distant 2k

blured shadows.

water 2k

Lod's vanilla ultra.

HI. Yeah well fps wise, my fps is actually quit good with just 1 GTX 680, though I'm getting sli soon. (If not the new gtx titanium with 6gb comes and seems like a good option ill buy that instead.

uGridsToLoad=5

uInterior Cell Buffer=64

uExterior Cell Buffer=100

Now i know the Cell buffers are way higer than normal with Ugrids 5, but cell buffer size is connected to the Ram and shouldnt impact vram?

I got 16gb corsair so want to utilize itas best as possible, though skyrim cant use more than 4gb.

I suggest reducing uExterior Cell Buffer back to the default for uGrids 5, which is 36. I had uGrids 5 and uExterior Cell Buffer at 64, and I experiencing crashes because Skyrim was using too much RAM (not video memory). As soon as I removed that line to set it back to the default the crashes stopped.

I have 16 gigs of RAM too, but Skyrim (as a 32bit executable) can only address 4 gigabytes, furthermore, for whatever reason the game gets very unstable when it allocates more than 3.2GB of RAM. Do a google search for "skyrim 3.2gb ram ctd" and you'll see a lot of results. VRAM is likely not what's causing your crashes, system RAM is.

• 4 months later...

Hiya :D

I'm almost at my wits end with my game at this point. I have a very good system, a raidmax viper with an AMD 6300 six core processor operating at 3.50 GHz with 8 gigs of RAM and a radeon 7700 graphics card. (yeah, ballin') I have my load order completely organized and categorized, I even ran it through BOSS nut that didn't help. I have used Tes5edit to clean the files up, (and no I did not touch the skyrim .esm) I have not made any ini edits though, or running any enbs, my game is very modded however, at around 130 mods. Even after all this however, I am still getting freezes while walking around in the wilderness. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, there is no reason my system cant handle it. I have noticed however, that it seems to occur when distant objects load into the world, because when it happens (and is not enough to crash the game) my fps drops exponentially. I don't care what I have to do to get my game working as good as other people do, I just wanna PLAY. So will I have to dig into my ini file? reduce my settings even more? get rid of some heavily scripted mods? what must be done?