Can these werewolf howl animations be fixed for SSE?

JohnGrahamDoe

***SOLVED***

So I want to start off by saying that I have had success in converting mods, including animation mods. I know how to use Cathedral, Creation Kit, etc.

My issue is not a problem with conversion itself; rather, there are a few animations in particular that will not run in SSE (this is a known issue, stated explicitly by the mod author).

So what I would like to know is if there is some more advanced form of conversion method or tool that I could use to resolve this issue for my build? Do the animations not work because they need a few extra tweaks before they can run in SSE? Or are the animations fundamentally incompatible from the ground up, and there is no possible way to convert them without recreating them from scratch?

The mod in question is Moonlight Tales Essentials ( https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59463?tab=posts ). I have successfully converted the mod to form 44 and all that jazz, and the mod runs smoothly; other than the fact of course that instead of triggering a howl animation, the player werewolf just idles in place for the duration of the "ability" (the sound effect and buffs still work, just no movement of the model).

Once extracted, the animations in question can be found at /meshes/actors/werewolfbeast/animations/brevimoonlighttalesessentials (I'm not going to be posting the files here, for fear of violating some sort of nexus policy).

The animations (afaik, 99% sure) are only used for making the player howl while in werewolf form.

If it is possible to fix them, I would prefer to be taught HOW to fix them, but I would also graciously accept if someone would rather just do it themselves.

If it isn't possible to fix them, then... iCri

And I am of course using FNIS

NOTE: I did see that one person on the mod's posts tab mentioned a fix wherein the user tricked his mod organizer into running both FNIS AND Nemesis, but if that is the only solution then I'll just accept that it isn't fixable. I have too many other mods that are heavily dependent on FNIS, and I don't want the pain of having to figure out if they are all Nemesis compatible or not. I would much rather just "fix" the animations themselves, rather than find a workaround to make them work in their current state.

EDIT: Some of the animations are also the Revert Form ability animations. Not sure it really matters. Same file location.

EDITx2: Solution, for those who it may help:
Once the mod was converted, I duplicated the /meshes folder, zipped it up, and installed it as it's own separate mod via Vortex. Voila! It works!
Any further questions, feel free to ask
Edited by JohnGrahamDoe

Have you converted the animations (.hkx files) to Skyrim SE format? It's absolutely necessary. Here's a guide.

Another possibly problematic aspect are the scripts (.pex) included with the mod. Usually, "Oldrim" scripts DO work in SE - especially if they're not dependent on SKSE. In some rare cases, however, they don't work...

I already converted the entire mod with Cathedral, resaved in SSE to form 44, etc. I actually did try manually converting the animations manually with dnalloh1987's tool (the one you linked) before even running it through Cathedral, which turned out to be wholly unnecessary, as the Cathedral log then reported when it was doing its conversion that it detected the animation files had already been converted, which means Cathedral was in fact looking for and recognizing the animations and converting them on its own.

So this is not a problem of not converting the animations to the SSE format. That has been done. The issue is that the animations still do not work.

I am intrigued however with the possible scripts issue... if it is a script problem, how could one go about fixing it? Is there any simple to-do, like a little tweak here or there, or would it more than likely involve rebuilding the script from the ground up?

I am intrigued however with the possible scripts issue... if it is a script problem, how could one go about fixing it? Is there any simple to-do, like a little tweak here or there, or would it more than likely involve rebuilding the script from the ground up?

Unfortunately I can't say how likely a script issue is at all or how difficult it would be to update the scripts. Someone with scripting knowledge would have to look at the files. Unfortunately there are no "semi-automatic" tools for scripts AFAIK.

Unfortunately I can't say how likely a script issue is at all or how difficult it would be to update the scripts. Someone with scripting knowledge would have to look at the files. Unfortunately there are no "semi-automatic" tools for scripts AFAIK.

SOLVED IT!

See my edit in the original post for the solution

EDITx2: Solution, for those who it may help:
Once the mod was converted, I duplicated the /meshes folder, zipped it up, and installed it as it's own separate mod via Vortex. Voila! It works!
Any further questions, feel free to ask

Glad you got it solved! :happy:

Just curious: Did you install the original "Oldrim" meshes or the already converted ones?

If it were the original meshes, that would indicate an error during your first conversion. Updating meshes to SE can be tricky. Tools like CAO or Nif optimizer sometimes don't work properly.

If you "reinstalled" already converted meshes, TBH I don't have a clue why it should solve the issue. On the other hand: As long as it works, everything's fine...