Merge all "small" mods into one ESP/ESM or make them into ESLs or what?

Hello everybody!

I use lots of mods (what a surprise ....) and currently I am getting very very close to the 255 (256?) ESP - file limit.

Most of the mods are "small mods", like "custom weapon" mods, but there are also some larger ones.

So, I thought I would just merge all of the "smaller mods" together into one or two ESPs.

But as I started looking into this a bit, I read somewhere that you can simply "make a small ESP into an ESL" with FO4Edit.

So, the question is:

What is the "best" solution?

Merge all the small mods OR convert them into ESL files (whenever it is possible)?

Most of the mods have their assets in archived files, but that shouldn't be a problem (just unpack all of them, "put them together" and pack them togehter again, so everything is in one archive file, right?)

Keep in mind that I also want to use some of those mods as "master files" for things that I am working on (I think it is possible to have a mod "depend" on an ESL file, right?)

I have already tried to "merge all the small mods" before (mostly weapon mods) and it didn't work quiet well (about 30 % of the weapons didn't work after the "merge").

Sorry, if this isn't the right place to ask a question like this.

This question would fit into the "Fallout4 mods" - forum, but also here, because technically speaking, when you merge mods, you create a "new" ESP file, so it is "mod creation" ....

If you make them into esls they will dissapear from your current save game, as the ID gets changed, so keep that in mind. Also some mods might not work, because certain objects lose their persistence.

Yeah, I know that "changing " IDs of things "mid-playthrough" is bad, so I would start a "new" playthrough.

About the "loosing persistance thing": That wouldn't really matter if the mods just add new weapons or clothing, right?

Think it was Vlits just took me to school on this:

"

"in xEdit:
1) Load the plugin you are merging after the one you are merging into
2) Right click plugin name -> Add Master, select the mod you are merging into
3) Right click plugin name -> Inject forms into master, select the mod you are merging into
4) Deep Copy as override (with overwriting)*, select the mod you are merging into.
5) Save

Before merging (using any method), make sure any patches that depend on the mod you are merging are loaded [EDIT MINE: I just merge patches into the master], so that the formIDs in those patches will be properly changed. And keep in mind, once you have merged a mod, you can't update.[EDIT MINE: only partly true, you just have to update the whole kit and kaboodle, so keep good notes].

Also, if a mod has any external files that depend on plugin name or formID, this method won't help with those. Assuming Merged Plugins works for FO4, that would be better as it seems to have options for handling those files. [EDIT MINE: that is the unpack/repack BA2s, but use Zedit it does it better].

Copy as override will skip any record that already exists in the target plugin, so if the mod you are merging has a change you want to keep, you have to use the (with overwriting) option. If you want the versions in the plugin you are merging into to win, use regular Deep Copy as Override"
"

--- end class ---

What I don't know what to do is if it has same form IDs in master you're messed. :unsure:

(There's a tool in there for that, i just don' t know which or how). :ermm:

Easiest thing to do is get all the mods with no sub-files, often just "game settings" more or less, and wad em up.

Think keep it an esp and put it late in LO so it has the last word and power to overwrite other ESPs.

So if you do a bash patch, smash, or zpatch its already figured in/out.

This is as far as i've gotten, and... tinkering in FO4edit.

AFAIC, the CK is a monster until you know what knits to pick.

It's onme of those programs i dive into and thrash violently about until I'm out of the deep water, until i learn to swim. :sweat:

Think that was just pretty well covered by Vlits, (with some notes added).

My Findings so far, For Best Results don't merge environment/cell edit/worldspace/scripted mods to start.

Leveled lists, (i am recently realizing), are better off as their own file alone).

ESMs will be overruled, since ESPs load later/over Masters.

ESLs have no "overwrite" priority which essentially makes them "ignored" in many cases.

For instance "Dead Body Collision" and "Realistic Death Physics" along with other such "Game Settings" might as well not exist otherwise.

Ultimately with "the many [ESL] files" you will have to do a Bash Patch, Smash, or zPatch.

What I am working on/proposing is to eliminate the back and forth, over and under, in advance.

Incidentally, "Loose files" will "Kill" BA2 files, so there may be errata on the way to your goal.

If you have a fast computer, you can just unpack them as loose, as needed until they are all sorted out, the roll em up.

You can always try to convert your final merged ESP to ESL or ESM and see how it plays out in the end.

I make anything that is vanilla record edits into one mod I call EspTweaks. It was no dependencies other than the vanilla game and its dlc. Have saved about 20 or more slots so far I'd say. Tho I only have about 60 mods active.

Other one is any sort of texture replacer. guys like SpiffySkytrooper will add a dummy esp and pack into a ba2 even when its just a few textures. Consolidate all your textures as loose viles, make one esp called MyTextures.esp or whatever and pack them all into ba2 with same name. There is a size limit on ba2's so you might need to make more than one but you will save esp slots this way.

There is also some cool merge packs you can find around the internet. things like a whole bunch of weapons in one esp. Or say, all of Nieros cross armors in one.

Main problem you might have merging is if one is updated, you will have to add the updated records manually to your merged esp. So its better for older mods

I make anything that is vanilla record edits into one mod I call EspTweaks. It was no dependencies other than the vanilla game and its dlc. Have saved about 20 or more slots so far I'd say. Tho I only have about 60 mods active.

Other one is any sort of texture replacer. guys like SpiffySkytrooper will add a dummy esp and pack into a ba2 even when its just a few textures. Consolidate all your textures as loose viles, make one esp called MyTextures.esp or whatever and pack them all into ba2 with same name. There is a size limit on ba2's so you might need to make more than one but you will save esp slots this way.

There is also some cool merge packs you can find around the internet. things like a whole bunch of weapons in one esp. Or say, all of Nieros cross armors in one.

Main problem you might have merging is if one is updated, you will have to add the updated records manually to your merged esp. So its better for older mods

Also, the goal is to make a new esp from several others and then be able to remove them, not make them as masters and and another esp, that's a patch @Blinxys

And yeah Zorkaz is right that if in mid game, its same as removing a mod to do this, so treat it the same, because the new esp will have new form id for items and the old ones will no longer exist.

That is the reason I only do this with mods that call back to vanilla records only.

Also, the goal is to make a new esp from several others and then be able to remove them, not make them as masters and and another esp, that's a patch @Blinxys

And yeah Zorkaz is right that if in mid game, its same as removing a mod to do this, so treat it the same, because the new esp will have new form id for items and the old ones will no longer exist.

That is the reason I only do this with mods that call back to vanilla records only.

@Oynlen I think you misunderstand, you can remove the master as per the steps outlined, it is just to transfer the form records over easily.

As indicated I have also found that merging compatibility patches as overrides into their respective masters eliminates the need for 20+ patches floating around reiterating things that only need to be set once.

Then when/if there is an update, just "rinse and repeat" that merge.