beginner modder help

wonderdog22

Hi. Only been playing sod yose recently, loved modding d2 back in the day.

use to know a little html but looking at these xml files my eyes go sideways.

so atm there are a few things id like to tweak.

mainly, i dont have to have it immediately but id like a base that lets me build everything, with possibly higher requirements to obtain. but...looking at facilities.xml i cannot make sense of it.

also increased durability of some items

with just a little pointing in the right direction i think i can figure it out. i dont know where to even begin looking.

just a little direction and i am sure it will open pandoras box for me if anyone could give a little direction.

thank you.

The problem with having a base that lets you have everything is that it requires a lot more work than you would think. You would have to alter the UI and world space to have it all work properly and doing that would require CryEngine 3.3 (I think) which has been discontinued so you can’t download through an official source last I checked.

The simpler solution would be to just combine a few buildings so they have multiple effects. You could look at my Trade Mod for the original game which has the source included of only what I added. That will hopefully be easier to read and understand how the file works.

To change durability I can’t remember the exact path but it is along the line of Scripts>Entities>Items>Weapons and you would have to change the durability in each file.

thank you for the quick response, chika.

after looking through some item files...

i dont see any parameter for durability.

what i do see is that melee weapons all have the param "raiseable" and "raise_distance" and guns do not have this parameter.

is this their durability?

also noted that "priority" is set to 0 for all the melee i look at and pistols i saw at priority 2 and an assault rifle had 4. is THAT possibly durability?

there is a "mass" param which i would initially think had something to do with durability but every item i look at has this set to 0.

thanks again for any guidance

no need for apologies. i appreciate your help.

a good method at this stage of the game is downloading other mods and trying to see how they made the changes. wish i was in on this when UL had forums with tutorials....

the base mods id like seem far to complex for me to figure out. might just find something close enough thats already done. the item durabilities shouldnt be too difficult other than just being tedious but coding always is.

going to try to make a list of all the rooms that can be built at a base and then see if they can be logically consolidated to make my dream possible. something like....why cant the cooking area and dining area be the same room? my entire childhood was spent this way with a large family. there has got to be other consolidations of function that can be performed so i can eventually have my uber base that doesnt require me to build something then destroy it. i guess i am old school strategy gamer that wants all the building and upgrades.

trying to understand what im looking at in this item file.

durabilitymax is fully repaired and durabilitymin is broken item threshhold

durabilitycriticalmax and min would be the %'s of durability left when you start getting "damaged" yellow highlight?

durabilityrating my hunch is this is the amount the durability reduces by every time you hit something with it or fire it.

these are my best guesses. if anyone knows if im on the right track, or dont understand what im looking at, any feedback is appreciated

I think there are tutorials on the Alamo which is where most of the forum members went when UL closed their forum.

If you look at one of my popular mods for SOD I know I stickied the link in the comments for most of them. I don’t remember the link off hand and navigating the pages on mobile is not something I can spend the time doing right now :D

Also as far as facilities are concerned some tips:

- the unique variants of certain rooms can be upgraded and destroyed once you add the action into it.

- if you look through my trade mod source you’ll see how I added actions into a room, and from that have circular upgrade stages. The RTSEvents part of that mod is just for the random chances and won’t apply to what you’re trying to do.

- my Breakdown overhaul has a lot of variations you can use to understand the files. I wouldn’t recommend navigating the folders manually. Instead install a setting and you can compare my source file vs the game source to see what was changed. YOSE files will have a few things different but 90% of it is the same. They just added some stuff the rest will be the same. Any online diff tool or even Notepad++ with a compare function will work in comparing.