GND directories

VulcanTourist

What GND folders? I don't have any GND folders in my meshes folders. Maybe some mod you installed?

PS> on the face of it, it sounds like they're associated with "ground" textures (GND being a somewhat universal abbreviation for the word "ground"), so it would likely be something that changes or establishes a literal ground texture (like a floor or the outdoors "ground").

good luck!

Never mind... I thought I had seen multiple instances of GND subdirectories in NPC mesh data, but apparently it was just ONE instance and I somehow inflated it. It has nothing to do with "ground" and it contains NIFs for armor pieces.

Hey, after all this time today was the day for a new avatar? Got bored looking at the last one?

Edited by VulcanTourist

GND meshes are used for what appears in the inventory and when an object/armor piece is dropped what it looks like on the ground.

Huh... you learn something new every day. ty.

So the folder in question will be created upon demand? (Or is there something wrong with my game, since I don't have this folder?)

GND meshes are used for what appears in the inventory and when an object/armor piece is dropped what it looks like on the ground.

Huh... you learn something new every day. ty.

So the folder in question will be created upon demand? (Or is there something wrong with my game, since I don't have this folder?)

I doubt that it's automatic, since I have more than one armor set that doesn't have them. It might be an option in Creation Kit to build them? It's likely an author-specific choice that I happened to have one attached to an NPC (that has custom armor). You would most likely see them underneath Meshes\armor for any custom armor for which the author went the extra mile to create an accurate "GND" model; many just don't bother and either leave it empty or substitute some inaccurate vanilla model instead (I've seen both). I do see more GND subdirectories for some of my custom armor, now that I know where to look for them.

(You could probably use the presence or absence of these in a custom armor mod as a handy way of gauging its quality or attention to detail: if an author went the extra mile to render GND models of his armor to appear accurately represented in inventory, then it's probably an armor set worth having if you like the look otherwise. Those without these GND models probably aren't worth your time. Even replacer sets should have them, given that the replacements in fact look different than vanilla because that is the entire point of them.)

Edited by VulcanTourist

thanks for the response VulcanTourist.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if maybe this directory is being generated and destroyed dynamically as needed (based on the reply you got), and I just never noticed it.

I won't stress about it. But it is interesting.