More natural and less agressive cats needed! Mod request.

cumbrianlad

This is a desperate plea to cat-loving modders everywhere!

"Take pity on me, masters! This is more annoying than someone stealing me frying pan!"

CDPR must have really hated cats and loved dogs!

Every cat in the game arches its back and hisses when Geralt gets within a few paces of them... it's just not natural cat behaviour. Even feral cats are far more likely to simply move away than try to provoke a fight with a much larger opponent... they're just not that stupid!

Dogs on the other hand are quite likely to growl or bark.

Yet in TW3 dogs are all placid and cats are all rabid idiots!

My ideal mod would be one where some cats come up and rub against Geralt's legs if he stands still too long, but I'd settle for the vast majority of cats not behaving like maniacs!

Geese and chickens behave reasonably naturally, as do sheep and all other domesticated animals... just not the cats. Actually domesticated geese are quite likely to hiss at strangers. They were originally used by peasants as 'guard dogs'. Their behaviour alerted the owners to trespassers. Chicxkens won't do anything to help their owners. I'm not wanting goose behaviour altered (it'd be nice though). I just want cat behaviour less annoying and more realistic.

Come on modders... you know it makes sense! For me it'll be like gettin' a frying pan I can see meself in! And what could be better than that?

I've always wondered about trying my hand at TW3 modding as well as Skyrim... maybe I'll have to start with this!

I'm replying to my own post, in a blatant and fragrant violation of all rules regarding the 'bumping' of posts. I'm doing this for several reasons...

1... I put my post on and then had the courtesy to reply to several other forum users, so relegated my own post several places down the list in the process. Bad move. I should have replied first, posted the vital feline request second... my mistake.

2... Cats are an essential part of modern life and vital to many historical societies, such as the Egyptians. As such, they deserve some priority in the Witcher's busy schedule.

3... Cats are simply marvellous. (As are dogs, I've had both and love both. Cats are more astounding than dogs, though, once you get to understand both species)

4... I don't care. I've never been one for rules. I see the point in them, but there's never a rule that ought not to be broken if the reason is valid enough. I'm talking cats. Enough said. Rules be damned!

Nexus, this is my tongue-in-cheek sense of humour here. I hope you won't vilify me for this disgusting and frankly abhorent and total disregard of your guidelines!... still joking!

I have not tried modding Witcher 3 at all yet, & I only just recently started playing it, but I think if there is a simple way to replace the hissing & growling sound files so they are copies of the other happy meowing files that would be a quick fix that is reasonable. Having the cats rub up against Geralt's legs would probably take a lot higher level of modding to do, unless the cats already have these animations & use them on other NPCs. Like I said, I only just started playing the game so I don't know the answer to that.

I did read somewhere that in the books cat's don't like witchers, & that's most likely why this was put in the game. I also read somewhere that this was added in by a patch, so maybe there is a way to disable that part of the patch?

I found this thread because I too am interested in a mod that makes cat's be more friendly. I only just downloaded the mod kit today & still haven't figured out how to use it. If this is something that would be easy to do for more skilled modders then consider this a mod request, but otherwise I may try to figure out how to replace the hissing & growling sound effect files with existing meowing sound files, as that seems to be the easiest solution that should require the least amount of modding skills.

[...]

But what I really want is to be able to pet the cats. Some of the Assassin's Creed games have this, and it's a nice detail.

:laugh:

yeah that would be awesome!

my girlfriend nearly burst into tears while playing Witcher for the first time, because she accidentally killed a cat while trying to pet her ....

Interesting comment about cats not liking witchers. Here's a quote I found after reading that comment. It's from one of the books.

"Why don't cats like you, Geralt? Does it have something to do with the-"

"Yes," he interrupted, "it does."

- pg. 23, Time of Contempt (UK edition)

So you're probably right. Then again the game strays so far from the books in a lot of respects that I can't see a 'Friendly Cats' mod as being the most lore unfriendly mod out there. I'd still like the option to download such a mod.

Jodeka, I'd want to hurl myself off a high building if I accidentally killed a cat (or dog) in the game! I'd settle for reloading an earlier save though, which is a bit more temperate and less drastic. I always make a save just before fighting the thugs in Beauclair on the way to buy the doublet for the ceremony. There's a dog so close to the thugs that it can easily get itself killed in the fight.

I can remember someone was petting a GOAT somewhere in witcher ... maybe it is possible to reuse that animation?

Just getting started with modding witcher so I don't know if you can use NPC animations on the main character at all .. or define new actions for Geralt ..