Characters bobbing up and down

nognow

Is your framerate over 60 fps?

The more your framerate is above 60 fps, the more likely you'll see this problem.

that's indeed the culprit.

lowering the refresh rate to 60 did the trick.

but I don't want to loose out on half my fps, any known fix to this?

No idea how to fix it, but you can disable Leg IK in the Fallout.ini. Search for the "Leg" and you'll find it.

However, by disabling that, actors will no longer adapt their leg position to the terrain.

I just looked through all INI files, there are no entries with the word "leg"

I apologize. Yes, "Foot", not "Leg".

Also, according to NVTF's author:

Solution #1:
Make sure that your in-game framerate is capped below 120 FPS. Better use some fps counter to double check if it really is below 120.

Solution #2:
That is a trade off between player foot dynamic placement efficiency and the absence of foot bouncing glitches for NPCs. It eliminates NPCs bouncing glitches almost entirely, but also makes player dynamic foot placement work slightly worse.

Set these lines in [FootIK] section using either "FalloutPrefs.ini" or "FalloutCustom.ini" to the following values:
fOnOffGain=0.01
bFootPlacementOn=0
fPelvisUpDownBias=0
fPelvisOffsetDamping=0
fOriginalGroundHeightMS=0

Solution #3:
[RagdollAnim]
bFootIK = 0

Try capping your framerate to something lower than 120 fps.

I apologize. Yes, "Foot", not "Leg".

Also, according to NVTF's author:

Solution #1:

Make sure that your in-game framerate is capped below 120 FPS. Better use some fps counter to double check if it really is below 120.

Solution #2:

That is a trade off between player foot dynamic placement efficiency and the absence of foot bouncing glitches for NPCs. It eliminates NPCs bouncing glitches almost entirely, but also makes player dynamic foot placement work slightly worse.

Set these lines in [FootIK] section using either "FalloutPrefs.ini" or "FalloutCustom.ini" to the following values:

fOnOffGain=0.01

bFootPlacementOn=0

fPelvisUpDownBias=0

fPelvisOffsetDamping=0

fOriginalGroundHeightMS=0

Solution #3:

[RagdollAnim]

bFootIK = 0

Try capping your framerate to something lower than 120 fps.

Added as 'Issue - Bobbing NPCs' to the "Graphics Problems" section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

-Dubious-

Capping the framerate doesn't help (I had already done it), disabling bFootPlacementOn did the trick; no need to touch the rest.