nifscope trouble - not seeing textures

user4life

I've searched all over the forums and elsewhere. Although I found people with the similar problem, I didn't find the solution.

I want to get my 3dstudio max model into skyrim by replacing the steelsword model. I've looked at tutorials, and know the process but I'm having trouble with nifscope.

So..

I start nifscope (i've tried several versions - 1.1.0 rc4, 1.1.0 rc7, 1.1.3.) and i load the original skyrim steelsword.nif (this file is extracted to skyrim/data/meshes/weapons/steel/)

http://i47.tinypic.com/29lhcgp.jpg

You can see the path for the textures in the Block Details.

In my Skyrim folder i have Data/Textures/weaponee/steel/steelsword.dds and steelsword_m.dds, steelsword_n.dds.

The expected efect is that i get the skyrim model and my textures.

The textures do not show.

Here is how my my render -> settings look.

http://i47.tinypic.com/v5a7tu.jpg

I'm guessing the problem is here, but no matter what path i set, i can't get the textures to show in nifscope.

If it's relevant - i get a "multitexturing not supported" warning when i launch nifscope.

Also the auto detect game paths does not work.

Any thoughts will be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Had this problem too at the beginning, when I started using Nifskope. But I can see mine now, what I did was have the data included when setting the Textures location for the BSShaderTextureSet.

data\textures\weapons\steel\... etc.

instead of

textures\weapons\steel\etc...

Try it out, might work for you. :biggrin:

Edited by hardarg

instead of

Hmm, I think this isn't my problem (as you can see above). Anyway, I loaded the model + textures into Skyrim and they work there. The textures just don't show up in nifscope. So problem half solved :D

• 5 months later...

instead of

Hmm, I think this isn't my problem (as you can see above). Anyway, I loaded the model + textures into Skyrim and they work there. The textures just don't show up in nifscope. So problem half solved :biggrin:

Yep, I've got the same problem, the textures show up just fine in the game, but for some odd reason nifskope won't display them, even after setting and resetting the texture paths like a dozen times lol. Anyone got any new ideas as to how to fix this??

Ok I did some testing and it seems to be a problem with nifs that have animation, like weapons or doors, things like that, for some odd reason nifskope has a problem displaying texture on nifs with animation of any kind. Because I tested loading a bunch of static nifs, from my player house mod, like the railing and stairs nifs, and those show textures just fine .... but if I try loading up one of the doors ... boom no texture shows. Not sure why having animation would make any difference for rendering a texture, but it seems to be the problem.

EDIT: OK I was wrong, my problem seems to be with only the one door lol, cause I just tested loading a bunch of vanilla weapons (I don't have any weapon mods installed yet), and they showed texture just fine, so thought maybe it was just the doors, so I loaded up one of the other doors, and it loaded the textures just fine too (even tho I changed the texture). So it seems I've narrowed the problem down to just the interior (non load) doors so far. Cause my entrance door (door connected to the exterior world) loaded the textures it had just fine. So I will do somemore testing with the interior, non load doors and see if that is the culprit.

EDIT 2: OK ... well the vanilla version of the door I am using loads the textures just fine as well (WRdoor02.nif), but for some reason my door (and mind you the only thing I canged was the texture) won't load the texture?? It's bizarre since I didn't alter the nif itself in any way, just changed the texture, and yes I checked to make sure the texture paths were correct lol. So I'm really stumped as to why this one door won't show the texture. /Sigh guess I'll have to go line by line and see if something is different in mine compared to the vanilla one, maybe something got accidentally altered or something.

EDIT 3: Well maybe it was just something wrong with the texture I was using, cause I tried putting new textures on the door, and the new ones are showing up in nifskope lmao! So I dunno maybe nifskope is high strung and tempremental lol, cause now it seems to be showing all textures lol.

• 4 years later...

I have the same problem and its not animation since my mesh is a wall....lol

Been thinking its the path file that has to be the issue but all textures lead to my skyrim/data/texture bsa's

Scratching my head here. All I want to do is delete some crap from a wall but want to make sure the textures are find.

• 3 months later...

I might have a solution. What I did was extracted everything from Textures.bsa and Meshes.bsa and put them all in the Data folder. It cost me 5gb in total, not draining my system.

I think you may have put the texture file in a different location to your mesh. Nifskope wants to read the .dds files from within the nested folders within the Textures folder in the data directory, but its not there, therefore the magenta colour.

It is real finicky about its directories, they have to be the specific folders within the Data folder. e.g. Wine Bottle: textures\clutter\wine\WineBottles01.dds