Looking for a simple NPC equipment mod

yurrenstein12

Hi,

I'm playing Skyrim SE as vanilla as possible. The only mods that I have installed are the Unofficial Skyrim Patch, SKSE64 and SkyUI. However, there's still one thing I want to change with a mod, but I can't find anything useful.

I'm looking for a simple mod that allows me to change the equipment of any NPC. The best thing I could find was Meem0's "Outfit NPC's (Inventory-Equipment)". It works perfectly on the Blades. You talk to them and choose the mod's dialogue option "Here's some gear for you to wear". With the inventory access option enabled, I can take everything that I don't want them to have from their inventory, and replace it all with the items that I want them to have. This also includes their default outfit, but it can only be taken if you equip them with a different outfit first.

However, this mod doesn't seem to work for all NPC's. Lydia wears the equipment I gave her just fine, but when I re-enter Breezehome, she has her default armor back on. This is only the case with her armor. Her default shield and weapons are still replaced by the new shield and weapons I gave her, and the new armor I gave her is still in her inventory.

Since there are no mods that are useful to me, I would like to make my own, but I have no idea how to create mods. Can somebody please tell me how to create this mod myself, or is there someone who can make this for me?

These are the features I want the mod to have:
- Adds dialogue option "Equipment Options" for all NPC's.
- This dialogue option allows full access to the inventory of all NPC's, including their default outfit.

- All items that are removed from the inventory of a NPC stay removed and do not respawn.

- All items that are given to a NPC should stay in their inventory forever until you remove/replace them.
- All outfits and weapons given to a NPC stay equipped forever until you remove/replace them.
- The dialogue option can be turned on/off.

Edited by yurrenstein12

The Manipulator (available at lover's lab), allows you to target any NPC and open their inventory or to apply racemenu changes to them, much like you can do using pickpocket skills but without any of the potential detection.

So if their clothing/armor is available (not all is, some armor/clothing is effectively hidden and doesn't show in their inventory) you can swap them out. If you insert an armor of higher protective value than what they normally wear, they will generally equip it, fyi. Not always, but most of the time. Same for weapons, although some NPC/followers seem tor be reluctant to use enchanted weapons.

As to some of your expectations....idk. I could be wrong, but I think that might be something more appropriate for the "new mod suggestions" SE forum

fwiw.

The Manipulator (available at lover's lab), allows you to target any NPC and open their inventory or to apply racemenu changes to them, much like you can do using pickpocket skills but without any of the potential detection.

So if their clothing/armor is available (not all is, some armor/clothing is effectively hidden and doesn't show in their inventory) you can swap them out. If you insert an armor of higher protective value than what they normally wear, they will generally equip it, fyi. Not always, but most of the time. Same for weapons, although some NPC/followers seem tor be reluctant to use enchanted weapons.

As to some of your expectations....idk. I could be wrong, but I think that might be something more appropriate for the "new mod suggestions" SE forum

fwiw.

Thank you, I will try that one.

Simple outfit manager give you the option to let an NPC ; 1)wear a pre defined vanilla outfit or 2) a custom outfit. The second need to be in your inventory, and with it you define one of the 15 available slots for a custom outfit.

I already tried that one, but it's not what I'm looking for. Only useful for outfits. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Edited by yurrenstein12

PS> In addition, if you have any need/desire to adjust weapon or armor strengths, check out Lazytools. Lazytools allows you to modify the clothing/armor type (for instance, some clothing can be changed into armor) and strength for some, although not all clothing and armor pieces. Not sure why it's so selective about what can and can't be tweaked, but it is.

Again, to be boorishly clear, some NPCs, especially follower mods in my experience, have their own default armor/clothing that can only be gotten rid of by editing them with SSEdit or similar, so keep that in mind (and what I suggested about higher "power" armor almost always being preferred...). Manipulator isn't a panacea, but it does provide some additional tools to the player in-game.

followers will often revert to their default clothing armor if dismissed to a player home and left on their own for a while, so if you delete their default, you may come home after a solo venture that's weeks long in Skyrim time to find them wandering around nude. My copy of YuiH's Sha does that. Sometimes I think she does that to show she's displeased with me :wink: , but once you refollow them, they equip shortly after.

And there *are other mods which provide the same or similar abilities, I just don't know them off the top of my head, because I use what I use..

Edit: Also, I don't recall if it has dependencies, and right now I'm too lazy to look, so make sure to read the description thoroughly (might need SKSE64 for instance)

PS> BOSSE also has some sort of follower/NPC clothing/armor management features, so you might consider checking that out sometime. It's fully compatible with the others I noted, as well as a few other neato features that might (or not) come in handy. BOSSE is, afaik, aslo available at Nexus.

sorry for the TMI. I ramble sometimes.

I’ve always used Amazing Follower Tweaks, it’ll do what you want, and so much more.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6656

That works great if you want forced follower "clothing" management, not so much if you want to drop some clothing/armor into their inventory that the NPC can "pick and choose" on their own. (all my followers have multiple pieces to choose from, and they seem to whip up "their own outfits" using the various pieces...and moreover, they even change them from time to time.)

The only time I force them to wear something is when I want to check out a new armor/clothing and determine whether I want to "gift" it to them. As soon as I've see them in it and decide "she looks dumb" or "it looks pretty good" I sell it if it's a bomb or drop it into their inventory if it looks good.

But yeah, if the goal is to strictly manage their clothing/armor, AFT is pretty good.

Good points atd, I use it more due to its ability to manage aggression, distance, and other tweaks like no friendly fire reciprocation.

One big one was once you gave Sofia a helmet, she wouldn’t take it off unless you removed it from her inventory, with AFT, there’s the “only during battle” choice.

Good points atd, I use it more due to its ability to manage aggression, distance, and other tweaks like no friendly fire reciprocation.

One big one was once you gave Sofia a helmet, she wouldn’t take it off unless you removed it from her inventory, with AFT, there’s the “only during battle” choice.

True. I use some of the feature in AFT (beyond the obvious follow, get behind, wait, etc) , including the "silly wabbits, don't fight amongst yourselves, ya stupid gits!", "shut the H__ up and leave me alone", and "keep your distance" ... (and no I'm not quoting of course, I just can't think of the specific text)

AFT is pretty good, and I meant no disparagement to it. Been using almost since I started playing... although in terms of follow distance, I envy ?EFF?, ?NFF? ... idk..something FF... since you can apparently adjust the follow distance. Followers follow a bit too far away using aft in my opinion. (but I also despise when they constantly run into me...I'd just like something inbetween the two.

So... +1 to AFT but at least for me, not for clothing management. I prefer the followers to cloth themselves. I'm just Mr money bags (edit: or Ms. money bags as the case may be, depending on which player I'm using ) who buys them pretty things and sturdy armor and weapons. They can choose what to wear out of the generous wardrobes I provide. (PS same regarding their weapons of choice)

PS> I married her. (Sofia) And permanently divorced her after the 1.5.80 update. Her alcoholism and bipolar nature just got to be too much like my realworld ex. :wink: