how to create a standalone follower? / help fixing mine!

squirrelfriend

Hi all! I just recently made my first mod - a standalone follower named Beynjolf!

He's uploaded but people are not able to find him in Dawnstar where I put him, so I want to fix him but I'm not sure what the problem is exactly.

I made him in Creation Kit using 3 mods: KS Hairdos, Eyes of Beauty, and Brows.

I had issues when I was making him so I ended up having to convert these mods to ESMs and then I was *supposed* to convert them back to ESPs but I couldn't figure out how.

I'm thinking I'll have to remake him and I'm looking for some really good follower-creating tutorials, or some help reconverting my ESMs to ESPs. I use Wrye Bash and TESVEdit (xEdit? whichever one is for SE).

He's working for me and for some people but I want to make him accessible for all players. I had someone point out that he is quite light on memory compared to other follower mods, and also someone else said that their LOOT is saying that KS Hairdos and Eyes of Beauty is missing, even though they have them both installed and enabled.

Any idea how to fix these issues or what the problem might be? Thanks for the help!

In regards to the mods you converted to .esm, my suggestion would be to simply re-install them, rather than messing around with file headers, as it's safer and easier. Here is a post describing the process if you still want to try.

Here is a follower tutorial that has always worked well for me.

He's working for me and for some people but I want to make him accessible for all players. I had someone point out that he is quite light on memory compared to other follower mods, and also someone else said that their LOOT is saying that KS Hairdos and Eyes of Beauty is missing, even though they have them both installed and enabled.

I looked at your mod, and it looks like you are relying on the user to have those mods installed in order for him to work? The reason LOOT is throwing that error is because you converted KS Hairdos and EoB to .esm, and they are normally .esp files, so LOOT thinks they are missing. You're going to have to redo your mod file in order to fix that, I suggest packaging him up with the hair and eyes you want him to have when you do, which will avoid all of this trouble going forward.

Thank you so much! How do I package him? My guess is that I will have to install KS Hair, EoB, and Brows MANUALLY and then copy the respective hair/brows/eyes files into a folder with my mod, is that right? I'm still fuzzy on how to convert my mod into a 7zip file and all that - I currently only have one .esp file for him, so I don't have a whole file or anything. Am I on track here or am I totally confused?

If you watch the video I linked, she covers how to make a follower standalone. She goes into creating a follower with a custom body and everything, you can skip that part if you like. Basically, you are going to have to set up a file structure for the meshes and textures you will be using and then create a hairstyle and etc in your mod file. It's a little bit of work, but not terrible.

Once it is built, just use 7zip to create an archive with the .esp file and the respective meshes and textures folders.