SSE + mods. Crash on when starting a new game (mod related)

LionZx

Hi everyone, I'm asking for help with an issue I got with SSE + mods:

Everytime I try to start a new game (using SKSE64 inside vortex) skyrim crashes. I purged all mods, started the game and everything worked fine, but if i deploy them all it crashes. I use the last version of SKSE64, running it as an admin.

My idea was to enable and deploy one mod at a time to see what causes the crash, but first i wanted to ask for help in the blog 'cause i don't see if the issue is something that can be easily fixed.

I modded sse and oldrim before, and if i remeber corrctly an issue in the load order should cause a ctd before the main menu appears.. so i excluded that (and i don't get any warning messages in loot) but i will attach my load order so if someone knows some incompatibility between mods, or had a problem similar to mine because of one of them can answer me quickly <3

Load order :

PS: Don't be rude, please, i am not a pro in modding and i use only the basic programs like loot, wrye bash, sse cleaning and the new nemesis they always worked.. until now D:

What happens if you try to load older saves? Does the game also crash or do existing saves work?

Also: Were you able to start a new game recently?

I'm asking because you got a really long load order with large mods (e.g. Bruma) and also script heavy stuff. The Vanilla intro at Helgen was always problematic with large and resource heavy load orders. The intro is heavily scripted itself. If the game has to handle that plus a lot of complex mods trying to initialize and what not, crashes can occur...

That's why I haven't played a regular start for ages. I always use "Alternate start". Maybe that's something you could try, too.

I was able to start a new game only after i purged all mods (so i am sure its not an SKSE issue) i will try alternate start and see how it goes. Unfortunately i have no existing saves because i did a total cleanup and reinstall after i decided to mod SSE again (i had a lot of older mods that i wanted to get rid of)

You think i should clean up my load order removing some heavy mods? Or you know of some issues between them?

Edited by LionZx

UPDATE: I made a new save without mods just before character creation and then loaded it with my mods' load order.

This time it crashed after being, for around 10 secs, in the loading screen (with the lvl 1 bar, the advices etc) so i guess the problem with the impossibility to start a new game was due to the vanilla intro.. but i still can't create my pg

UPDATE: I made a new save without mods just before character creation and then loaded it with my mods' load order.

This time it crashed after being, for around 10 secs, in the loading screen (with the lvl 1 bar, the advices etc) so i guess the problem with the impossibility to start a new game was due to the vanilla intro.. but i still can't create my pg

IMHO that's too "early" to be safe (or say anything definite). Character creation takes place shortly after the cart ride, before you're almost beheaded. The events with the interrupted execution, the dragon and the flight into the keep are still heavily scripted events. I'd say the first time you could think about enabling mods is after you entered Helgen Keep. In fact, when I started without mods to get a "clean" start, I even waited until I had reached the end of the "tutorial cave".

To get a clearer picture, I'd strongly recommend using Alternate Start. While still in the cell, give the game some minutes for all the mods with scripts to initialize and do their thing. Only after that enter the world. Maybe you could make a save within the prison of "Alternate Start" before going out in the world. Would be interesting to see if such a save game loads....

You think i should clean up my load order removing some heavy mods? Or you know of some issues between them?

Unfortunately I don't see anything obviously wrong. So I can't say "remove this or that and you should be good to go". I assume you used the sorting function of Vortex, right? Do you also use SSE engine fixes or SSE fixes? With a load order like yours, installing one of the "fixes" mods is almost mandatory. Also, did you update mods like Racemenu for the latest version of SKSE?

TBH, I think this could indeed be a case of simple "mod overload". Bruma is a large an resource heavy mod. An it's not the only quest mod you got installed. Flower Girls is a complex mod. Besides that, you got a lot of mods that by their nature affect a lot of different aspects of the game: CRF, RDO, Ars Metallica, Race and Birthsigns changes, Ordinator.... Mods like these change core mechanics of the game. If there's a conflict somewhere, you can run into serious trouble. Also you got some mods that add or change NPCs, like e.g. OBIS and Immersive Citizens, which would put additional strain on your system.

To be clear: I'm not blaming or "bashing" a specific mod. Often it's not a certain single mod that causes issues, but a combination of several mods that would work perfectly fine on their own...

In the end, you'll probably have to take the long and winding road: Decide which mods are absolutely "essential" for you. Enable them and see, how it goes. If you arrived at a stable "core setup", carefully add addiional mods in small groups (maybe 5 or so at a time) and then test again... That's probably the only "safe" approach here.

Hi there, thought Id put my 2 cents. I checked your load order ad like the previous user mentioned you do have some pretty heavy mods. Using Alternative Start is very recomended and I would also add, before starting a play through do some test runs;

- Start a new game with Alternative start create your character, wait for all mods to load and save.

- Then talk to the statue of mara and select a random starting point I suggest an Inn then go to sleep on the bed there to load at the selected place.

- Afterwards run around the map visiting all cities and holds just to make sure that everything loads ok and there are no crashes.

- If there is a crash best I can recommend is to make a note of where you crashed and look in your mod order which one edits that area or npc; it can be very time consuming.

- When you select a mod, deactivate it then repeat the process, go to the same area and check if you crash again, if you don't then that's not the faulty mod, rinse and repeat till you find the mod.

- Once you find the faulty mod go to the mod page and check the forums if its a known issue then there might be a fix

- But if the mod is old and there hasn't been support for a while chances are you might have to consider dropping the mod.

- Then continue your testing and repeat if necessary.

I know it can be a hassle but this way you can make sure you have a stable game, because there is nothing more annoying when you encounter an error in mid play and it wont let you move forward. Hope this can help.

Cheers!

Wow, thanks guys for the advices and informations. For now i'm following Algabar's suggestion to think about what mods are essential for me (carefully re-reading their compatibility notes) removing the ones i probably won't use and may cause issues (like elememtal destruction magic, cause i have other spells mod). Then, thinking about the "heavy" part, i will go through my textures mod, cause they can bring some memory issues.

After this i will see what happens with alternate start and, if everything goes well, i am going to make a check of all the cities and post an update :3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my game crashes on starting a new game with no mods when launching with vortex

Same here, I'm quite confused ;-(

I swear it used to work fine when I last played a couple of years ago.

But it was using Nexus Mod Manager and Not Vortex. Although the same thing still happened when I tried Mod Organizer 2 as well...

Might be a bug with the current version of Vortex. From what I've read, there are some people who have that issue ATM.

There's no need to start the game through Vortex or NMM. There's no benefit in having these mod managers run in the background. In fact, it could eat up ressources needed for the game.

Create a desktop shortcut for SKSE (if you're using it) or Skyrim itself and start from there. If using SKSE, make sure Steam is already running before starting with SKSE.