Flickering objects, but not always

Good evening everybody!

I am currently working on a small worldspace mod.

I recently generated LOD files for that worldspace.

In certain areas, the objects that are placed "flicker", like if I had a duplicate object placed there ("Z-fighting").

But not everywhere where that object is used.

It seems like the LOD for that mesh does not get "disabled" when the player gets close to it, like it normally does and so, there is the LOD mesh and the actual mesh "in the same place".

The object that I am talking about is the "BldgShellRoofFlat01.nif" that can be found under "Meshes/Architecture/Buildings/Shell".

I made a duplicate of that and added a NIF for LOD (the same file), because the original one does not have any LOD.

The weird thing is that this "flickering" does not appear everywhere where that object is used.

So it can't be a fault with the object itself, then this would appear everywhere where the object was placed.

It is probably something stupid and simple, but if anybody knows what could be going on here, let me know!

Did you make precombined meshes and furthermore PreVIs and Precombined Vis?

No, because my CK crashed every time I tried, but I can try again if you think that that would maybe help ....

EDIT:

Ok, I generated the PreCombines without the CK crashing! Good!!!

Now, I will try to generate the PreVis ...

Edited by YouDoNotKnowMyName

Here is a screenshot of how this "flicker, but not everywhere" looks in the game:

73722383-1600016301.png

It is not like "a straight line" along the XY axis that separates the "good" part from the "flickering" part, more like a diagonal "line".

The things around the 0,0 cell are fine, but at some point (see picture) the objects start to flicker.

But only the "ground pieces" that I placed. The trees or the rocks or other stuff is fine ...

(And yes, I know that my test-character isn't wearing anything, sorry for that :laugh:)

Generating PreVis .....

Wait a second ....

That is the thing where you have to do it for each individual cell because there is no "Generate PreVis for worldspace" - funtion.

So, I will have to do this for about 5766 cells?

(My worldspace is about 62 cells on the X axis and 93 cells on the Y axis, centered at 0,0, of course ...)

Or is there some other way to "Generate PreVis for a worldspace"?

So, I generated the PreCombines for the worldspace and Visibility for a big area aroudn the 0,0 cell.

And this is what it looks like:

73722383-1600030139.png

The "tiles" I used get weirdly distorted and missing in some places.

Sometimes, the ground is even missing and it looks like the LOD mesh got moved about 30 meters "under the ground".

What is going on here?

While I doubt that a lack of Previs is related to this issue, you can use commandline arguments for the CK. The one for previs is GeneratePreVisData. Here is an example of how you would use it:

CreationKit.exe -GeneratePreVisData:DBO.esp clean all

I have a few .bat files I use to run it with arguments, but you could accomplish the same thing with shortcuts, or using MO2 (and maybe Vortex, assuming it has the option) to make a shortcut with arguments in the mod manager. I find bat files easiest, due to needing to include the file name for the plugin you are running it on.

You would then merge the generated previs plugin with yours, and you'll have previs for the whole plugin. You can generate precombineds the same way, but that requires editing some hex values or using Nukem's early version of CK fixes for FO4*.

That thread has a bit of discussion in the last 5-6 pages about using the commandline arguments, if you need more help with them. The two important bits: the plugin name cannot have any spaces, and it seems to fail sometimes (generate the precombined/previs plugin, but it is empty and no corresponding files get generated. No idea why, I haven't been able to figure it out. Also, if generating precombineds, you need to generate the associated .psg and .cdx files that go with them, as commandline precombineds use the same "shared geometry" precombineds that the base game and DLC use, which are smaller but more finicky° and require those files.

*Requires the current version of the Microsoft VS 2019 x64 redist

°When I have gotten commandline precombineds to generate, changing the file name afterwards causes them to fail to work in-game. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if the .psg and .cdx files have the file name somewhere in the data.

Thanks for the info about the "commandline" thing, but I can generate Precombines and PreVis (it is not THAT much work ...) from the CK now (don't know why it didn't work for me in the past ...).

Do you think that generating the PreCom / PreVis / Vis stuff with that "commandline" approach would make a difference here?

Because right now it looks to me like the "generating PreCom / Vis" made everything worse ...

Not unless they are failing to generate properly from within the CK normally.

But yeah, I didn't think it would help with LOD/regular mesh overlap. Only time I have heard about that happening was with the quarry (intermittent issue with LOD staying loaded), and sometimes in Sanctuary (less common). Never actually found any proper answer for what triggers it.

Not unless they are failing to generate properly from within the CK normally.

But yeah, I didn't think it would help with LOD/regular mesh overlap. Only time I have heard about that happening was with the quarry (intermittent issue with LOD staying loaded), and sometimes in Sanctuary (less common). Never actually found any proper answer for what triggers it.

Yeah, I once had that "LOD stays on in the quarry near concord" too. Restarting the game helped there.

Ok, so since the whole Precombine thing screwed everything up, I will delete all of the files that were created during that process.

I'd rather have properly shaped objects that might flicker then have stretched and disfigured objects and missing objects and weird LOD and ......... (the list continues).

Maybe somebody else knows ...