NMM can't find skyrim.esm

scotv453

Ok this was working before. And yes I do have a legal copy of skyrim. And yes the skryim.esm file is there. So here is my issue.

I have 6 hard drives in my pc. And after some time(well very long time) I finally got to the point where they all are filling up. I decided to do some moving of files. I actually had steam installed on c with maybe 3 games. And another steamlibrary where I actually wanted all my games to be installed with 4 games installed. So I did a google on how to move my steam to another drive and used the first link that came up which stated delete everything besides the steam.exe and the steamapps folder. Then move the skyrim parent folder to the drive you want it moved to. Then open steam.exe, let it install, then log in. Then do verify local cache to fix any game issues. So I did with the added instructions to combine my steamapps from c drive, and the steamlibrary from my e drive.

Now I get this issue where nmm says "You are missing E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Data\skyrim.esm. Please verify your game install and ensure E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Data\skyrim.esm is present. It is there, but still won't open. Help me please?

Edited by scotv453

Ok this was working before. And yes I do have a legal copy of skyrim. And yes the skryim.esm file is there. So here is my issue.

I have 6 hard drives in my pc. And after some time(well very long time) I finally got to the point where they all are filling up. I decided to do some moving of files. I actually had steam installed on c with maybe 3 games. And another steamlibrary where I actually wanted all my games to be installed with 4 games installed. So I did a google on how to move my steam to another drive and used the first link that came up which stated delete everything besides the steam.exe and the steamapps folder. Then move the skyrim parent folder to the drive you want it moved to. Then open steam.exe, let it install, then log in. Then do verify local cache to fix any game issues. So I did with the added instructions to combine my steamapps from c drive, and the steamlibrary from my e drive.

Now I get this issue where nmm says "You are missing E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Data\skyrim.esm. Please verify your game install and ensure E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Data\skyrim.esm is present. It is there, but still won't open. Help me please?

OMFG I am in idiot. I just noticed that the path isn't pointing to the right place. Missing skyrim folder....smfh. But I will say i depended on nmm to point to the right directory. But it's fine now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

VERY IMPORTANT: In addition to what "assblaster7" (lol, i know...) said, it is essential that you when uninstalling NMM, you check the box that says something along the lines of "remove my settings."

Be assured your mods will remain intact, and avoid the frustration I experienced while figuring this out, follow the above listed instructions.

• 3 months later...

They are completely correct. I had the same problem, because I have not play Skyrim in a while and just tried to play it. BOOM, "Missing Skyrim.esm file". Turns out mine was in the main Skyrim folder of SteamApps instead of the

"downloading\72850\Data" folder. All I did was found the Skyrim.esm file, cut it, and pasted it to the correct directory and WAMMO!!! Problem solved!!

The correct location for Skyrim.esm is "<your install drive and folder(s)>\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data" so if you've removed it from there and put it anywhere else your game won't work. You may need to use the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" option in Steam to ensure everything is in the correct place. Then try NMM again and if it still isn't finding Skyrim just edit the paths in NMM to point it at the correct location.

• 1 month later...