"Eye for an Eye" quest bugged?

WhitesnakeWASP91

So when Frank Weathers at Aerotech Office Park tells my about his family and gives me the quest "Left My Heart" I went to Cottonwood Cove immediately, killed all the legion members and freed the slaves.

Later when I went to Camp Searchlight the "Return To Sender" quest I remembered that there was a quest I could to for First Sergeant Astor that involved placing a bug and stealing intel. I though that I had messed up that quest.

I look the quest up in the Fallout fan wikia and the article states that I can still finish it even if I cleared out Cottonwood Cove before talking to Astor by giving him the Legion patrol notes via a dialogue option when talking to him. But when I talk to him I don't find that option anywhere.

I checked my quest log because I thought that I maybe gave it to him when I talked to him during the "Return To Sender" quest but I can't find it among the completed quests. I also don't remember getting the message that I failed the quest.

Is the quest bugged or is the Fallout wikia wrong?

Edited by WhitesnakeWASP91

Quests have "stages" which act as "flags" indicating the completion of parts of that quest. If you have completed a later stage without having completed an earlier (lower numbered one), the quest doesn't know or care. It's as if you took a shortcut, skipping from step A over step B directly to step C. Quests are simplistic in that regard. With that in mind look at the "Quest Stages" for "Eye for an Eye" (the Camp Search LIght quest).

Stage 90 is "Kill all Legionaires at Camp Cove." The intel mission related to Astor and the Legion Patrol notes (note there are two versions of the "patrol notes") set earlier stage numbers. By killing all the Camp Cove Legionaires earlier, it would appear you prevented yourself from being able to perform all the stages of "Eye for an Eye".

-Dubious-