Start a quest when a vanilla quest stage is complete

TyburnKetch

I am sure this has been asked to death, but oddly I could not find direct answers from master google.

I have set up a courier quest, fairly verbatim to the excellent video tutorial by Doug. It works great. However, rather than starting immediately I now want to control when the quest starts and I am looking for it to start after a certain vanilla quest hits stage 200.

I have tried adding a getstagedone condition on the stage when my quest starts, setting the parameters to 200 and leaving it on subject. This results in ... nothing. My quest does not start. I have also tried adding an if quest.getstage(200) to the papyrus fragments and setting a property for the vanilla quest, but it is not compiling for me.

I am convinced this must be fairly simple to do, but I have not tried to set up an actual quest before, only played around with a few aliases and I am a little stumped on the best way (or THE way) to do what I need.

As always, any help appreciated.

Investigate use of the Story Manager. Your best bet would be to use the Change Location Event with a condition that the stock quest be at stage 200 or higher. As the player moves around the map they'll eventually end up moving out of one location and into another. If the stock quest in question is at the desired stage or higher then the story manager will start up the correct quest. If you have an additional condition looking for a global variable to be at a certain value, then you can change the value of the global variable after the quest starts so that the story manager won't accidentally try starting the quest again.

I have also tried adding an if quest.getstage(200) to the papyrus fragments and setting a property for the vanilla quest, but it is not compiling for me.

Just a syntax error.

if thisQuest.GetStage() >= 200
else
endif

or

if thisQuest.IsStageDone(200)
else
endif

Ok. So Story manager seems to be working! Actually nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, although I do have a couple of queries:

1st: At the bottom of this page: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=SM_Event_Node It states that any new quest nodes (which is what I have made) should be higher in the list than any other quest nodes that DO NOT have the "shares event" box ticked. (As recommended I have ticked the "shares event" box in my new stacked quest node.)

In the ChangeLocationEvent there is a stacked quest node called "CWChangeLocationScenes" that does not have this ticked, however if I move my quest node above it, the CK is putting an edited marker on the "CWChangeLocationScenes" quest node. Having checked in SSEEdit I got a red flag on this edit. I have removed this edit and my quest node is now at the bottom of the ChangeLocationEvent tree. I do not fully understand what is going on here. Am I best to leave my quest node at the bottom of the list? The quest is firing as desired, albeit from a simple console command test advancing the vanilla quest stage to where I want my quest to start from.

2nd: As a seperate condition on the quest node I was thinking of using getstage on my own quest = 0 (the starting stage) instead of a GV. Once the quest starts it moves through 10, 20 and eventually completes on stage 30. So theoretically the story manager will only be able to fire the quest once anyway with this condition check. Any potential issues with this approach?

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the info both.

Whenever I move my node to the top of the list Rasikko the CK puts edit* marks next to the branch below, and the branch mentioned above ("CWChangeLocationScenes") which seems to be the first node in the list that does not have "shares event" ticked.

Am I doing something wrong here in how I have created my node? Is it ok to manually move my node to the top? Are these rogue edits anything to worry about?