CK crashing during vis/previs generation

jackjack86

I'm trying to generate vis and previs data but I keep crashing on the same cell in the Commonwealth... cord (3,6); cell 0000DB64. I've already generated precombined meshes for this cell but everytime I try generating for loaded area at (3,3) it crashes once it comes to this cell.

Should I just skip it since I already generated for this cell? Would generating cell by cell from (4,0) to (6,6) be a better way of tackling this issue?

System Specs:

Ryzen 7 3800x

MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon

16GB ddr4 3466 cl16 (running 128GB pagefile rn)

RTX 2070 Super 8GB

HP EX920 512GB NVME (workspace, running through chipset also where I have my pagefile set)

Maybe I should reassign my pagefile to a different drive... IDK

I had the same issue: it just works crashes.

But after like a few months when I tried again to do some of that stuff, it worked without crashing ...

(It messed up some objects, but that is a different problem ...)

So, I know your pain, but I don't know what do do about it, sorry ....

I think I'm starting to figure it out and how cell blocks work. I didn't know that you should do precombines first within the cell block then run vis/previs.

Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing, really.

Edited by jackjack86

I heard that you can try use the ck 64 bit version (or 32? idk, lol) one is slower but allows more ram usage for stuff like previs generation, the other has a locked allocation of ram amount that is very low. whatever version you are using, try the other one.

I heard that you can try use the ck 64 bit version (or 32? idk, lol) one is slower but allows more ram usage for stuff like previs generation, the other has a locked allocation of ram amount that is very low. whatever version you are using, try the other one.

The 64 bit version is the "normal version" to use. It supports more RAM.

The 32 bit version is only needed to generate some files for dialogue stuff, as far as I know ... That version supports not so much RAM ... (4 or 2 GB).

I think I'm starting to figure it out and how cell blocks work. I didn't know that you should do precombines first within the cell block then run vis/previs.

Yeah, that is the way I do it. "Precombine Geometry for Current Cell", "Generate Visibility for All Loaded Cells", "Generate Precombined Visibility for All Loaded Cell"

Do all the Precom Geo for each individual cells, then when finished with Precombines generate Vis/Pre Vis in the same order you did the Precombines.

Make a copy of your esp before you try or you'll have to clean the refs in Xedit if something goes wrong.

Edited by farts30

Yeah, that is the way I do it. "Precombine Geometry for Current Cell", "Generate Visibility for All Loaded Cells", "Generate Precombined Visibility for All Loaded Cell"

Do all the Precom Geo for each individual cells, then Gen Vis in the same order you did the Precombines, and then Previs in same cell order.

Make a copy of your esp before you try or you'll have to clean the refs in Xedit if something goes wrong.

Yes!

I can't say how much you need to do this!

It is the most important thing ever!

Back the f#### up!

And make backups of your backups!

When I was messing around with making PreCombine and PreVis stuff, it screwed up my worldspace.

If I hand't made a backup, I would have lost months of work ...

So, backup, backup, backup!!!1

Thanks for the advice, Y'all. It's given me a breath of fresh air.

Is there anyway to generate vis/previs for the cell block when using "grids to load"<5? I'm having trouble with EastCityDownsExt so I lowered Grids to Load to 3 but now when I hit generate visibility for all loaded cells it just generates for the current cell but no other cells.

Edit: I've been running the 64bit CK. I think I might need to reinstall cause I'm not seeing a 32bit executable at the install Dir.

Edited by jackjack86