Flight Simulator - does it only work with the Steam version?

ianbnet

OK - I just reinstalled the game for kicks, but still see the same issues. FYI, here are some log extracts from a scan today:

Sun, 20 Sep 2020 16:15:06 GMT - info: searching for games & tools searchPath=c:\Program Files\windowsapps\microsoft.flightsimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Sun, 20 Sep 2020 16:15:06 GMT - info: potential match c:\Program Files\windowsapps\microsoft.flightsimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Sun, 20 Sep 2020 16:15:06 GMT - info: invalid game=microsoftflightsimulator, path=c:\Program Files\windowsapps\microsoft.flightsimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\
Sun, 20 Sep 2020 16:15:06 GMT - info: finished game search searchPath=c:\Program Files\windowsapps\microsoft.flightsimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Regarding your questions:

• The permissions error is screenshotted here. This occurs when I manually browse to the location of flightsimulator.exe (you can see the path in the \program files\windowsapps directory from the logs above)
  • The registry entry is here
  • The UserCfg.opt file is in the expected directory. \packages\community and packages\official folders are under there as well.

Thanks!

Having same issue with the permissions. In my case, the app is installed on different drive than C:, it means there are symlink (junction point?) to the folder on another dir. In this case the LocalCache folder leads to another disc/folder. Same for the package folder in the Program File\WindowsApp. May be this is a problem for the app?

Interesting is, that I have the permissions problem even when I manually select the target folder on the second disc (where it is physically placed, no throug the symlink in c:\program files...).

I cannot set the permissions even manually. I already added my user with full control on the folder, but the error is still same. But when trying to assign permissions directly t the file FlightSimulator.exe, I cannot. I cannot change the owner, permissions... nothing. Is it needed to read these files, when you need only the cfg file to get the community folder address?

It seems that it is trying to read all files in the folder and subfolders...

Example of errors I get:

Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\CoherentUIGT.dll" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin rights Vortex can try to unlock the file for you.
Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\CoherentGTCore.dll" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin rights Vortex can try to unlock the file for you.
Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\CoherentGTJS.dll" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin rights Vortex can try to unlock the file for you.
Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\All.psc" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin rights Vortex can try to unlock the file for you.
Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftGeospatialTiles.dll" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin rights Vortex can try to unlock the file for you.
Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib.x64.dll" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin rights Vortex can try to unlock the file for you.
Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Resources.resw" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin rights Vortex can try to unlock the file for you.
Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.CognitiveServices.Speech.core.dll" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin rights Vortex can try to unlock the file for you.
Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Update.AlignmentChunk" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin rights Vortex can try to unlock the file for you.
Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\coherenticuuc.dll" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin rights Vortex can try to unlock the file for you.
And many other.
Edited by KineKano

As I said: Windows store game directories (stuff below C:\Program Files\WindowsApps) are virtual views of encrypted archives, the permissions there can't be changed.

The game search and manually setting the game directory will not work (at least until the next Vortex update)

But the real question is why Vortex hasn't discovered the game automatically even though everything ianbnet has posted looks exactly like on my test system.

@ianbnet could you please send in your log file after all? maybe something else that might be relevant has been logged, beyond that the only thing I can do is put in some more debugging code and ask you to wait for the next release.

Thanks @Tannin42. I've submitted a bug report from within the app with the full log and application state. I hope it helps! I'll stand by for the next release, and if there's anything else I can do to help troubleshoot in the meantime, let me know.

While you wait for a fix - you can still mod Flight Simulator.

Follow the directions on the mod download page and install it manually. Vortex is never required - it is a convenience.

When Tannin comes up with a fix, just remember to remove the mods you installed manually.

Note that this is not viable for games that have hundreds of mods and profiles - but we are talking about Flight Simulator.

Just wondering, I have the exact same issue with all of the games that I have copies of via the MS Store/Gamepass. Will the potential Vortex fix be specific to Flight Simulator of will it make it work with all MS Store game versions?

Only a small number of games from the Game Pass can be modded, it's up to the developer of the game to make it possible. I know Halo: MCC and MSFS can be modded, but other games such as Kingdom Come can not.

Anyway, if you want to continue talking about it, feel free to start a new topic :)

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, still seeing this issue - Vortex can't identify MSFS even after the most recent update to 1.3.13

The install paths for MSFS are very much users choice and each time we find a pattern to detect it, there seems to be an exception. I know Tannin was still looking at this based on the feedback coming through the app though.