Deploy is wiping out my ini files

Poorman65

While old Vortex-versions, if not mis-remembers v1.1.x and earlier, did have multiple problems with ini-files, I'm not aware of any problems with current Vortex-versions.

If you're using profile-specific save-games, Vortex must change skyrim.ini by changing the location of sLocalSavePath to point to the profile-specific location.

In case you Purge the sLocalSavePath will be removed. I'm not sure if at the same time you switch back to the generic ini-files that is common for all profiles that don't say you're using profile-specific ini-files. If you're switched to the generic ones on purge, any changes you make to ini-files before you deploy again will be removed by Vortex, since you're basically editing another profiles ini-files.

Apart for Purge removing sLocalSavePath and Deploy adding sLocalSavePath, the only other time Vortex makes changes to ini-files is if you switch to another profile. Example, if you've got two profiles A and B and with A active you makes some changes to ini-files for so switching to profile B, the changes you did to ini-files for profile A is not present for profile B.

I'm not aware of any current problems with Vortex handling of ini-files, at least last time I checked skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini was correctly handed if I used the launcher or changed something in-game. Directly editing ini-files also worked correctly.

BTW, since you're directly editing the ini-files, are you absolutely sure you're editing the correct file, meaning you're editing skyrim.ini and not the two Vortex-specific files skyrim.ini.baked or skyrim.ini.base and similarly are you editing skyrimprefs.ini and not skyrimprefs.ini.baked or skyrimprefs.ini.base?

I have skyrimse specific ini files for my profiles, if I purge and launch the game the only savegames I see are the ones in the root of the save folder not the profile specific folder.

It used to be that if I changed profile I also had to do a deploy to get the profiles savegames i.e. ini activated, but I haven't tetsed that for a while.

diziet

There is still some Deploy magic. Simple demo:

1) Clone an existing profile. That does not pick up any save games.

2) Importr one save file from the Profile you cloned.

3) Close the Import. Save Games shows no save files. The one you just imported - is not there.

4) Switch to the Mods tab and Deploy.

5) Switch back to the Save Games tab. Voila - there your save game is.

This is a sequence I use - a lot. I just live with it. I figure Tannin has bigger fish to fry.

3) Close the Import. Save Games shows no save files. The one you just imported - is not there.

This is a sequence I use - a lot. I just live with it. I figure Tannin has bigger fish to fry.

Can you send in feedback related to that if you haven't already? If it's not reported it will never get fixed.

Can you send in feedback related to that if you haven't already? If it's not reported it will never get fixed.

Done. But this is really low priority, unless it is related to something bigger.

I have been fighting this for awhile now and it extremely frustrating. I have ini files that are configured exactly the way I want them, but every time I deploy from Vortex, it overwrites them. This is an absolutely terrible "feature".

The software is smart enough to ask me what versions of plugin files that I want to use when they are modified. ... but it silently wipes out the ini files.

I had spent days going through web sites trying to configure them to solve issues I was having with my game, only to lose all of that work.

Now I have to remember to go an copy mine back in every time I deploy something.

Like the others have said, Vortex does not deploy over these ini files.

It's just a guess from me, but my gut feeling reading this was: are you sure it's right after hitting deploy, or is it maybe that you're running the game via the standard launcher (i.e. not skse64)? The launcher will reset your inis.

If it's not that, are you switching between profiles?

• 2 weeks later...

Still no idea why this is happening. Right now I am just trying to remember to copy my ini files back in whenever I have done any Deploys. I can run the game repeatedly (using skse64 launcher) without any issues. The problem happens even when I turn off Profile specific Game Settings.

Still hoping to figure out what is different between my setup and everyone else's, since most people don't see this problem.

You can always set your .inis to read only, as well.

Read only surprisingly doesn't make a difference. That was one of the first things I tried.

I checked the file dates, did a Deploy, and then checked them again after the Deploy had finished, and the Plugin sorting had started. The files were changed at that point, so it is either something that Vortex is doing, or something that is getting run due to a Vortex Deploy. I don't have any tools setup that are supposed to Autorun.

Still no idea why this is happening. Right now I am just trying to remember to copy my ini files back in whenever I have done any Deploys. I can run the game repeatedly (using skse64 launcher) without any issues. The problem happens even when I turn off Profile specific Game Settings.

Still hoping to figure out what is different between my setup and everyone else's, since most people don't see this problem.

You can always set your .inis to read only, as well.

Read only surprisingly doesn't make a difference. That was one of the first things I tried.

I checked the file dates, did a Deploy, and then checked them again after the Deploy had finished, and the Plugin sorting had started. The files were changed at that point, so it is either something that Vortex is doing, or something that is getting run due to a Vortex Deploy. I don't have any tools setup that are supposed to Autorun.

OK, one last thing to check, as I "think" this might have affected someone esle with this problem.

SETTINGS------------>VORTEX----> what is your MULTI-USER MODE set to?

SHARED or PER-USER?