Best 3D Modelling Software For Beginners?

wenildexis5

Hey guys!

Here's the deal, I've tried numerous times over the span of 4 years to just open up Blender and not burst into tears crying as I uninstall it but I've never been able to budge. I always cried from the horribly messy interface and complexity of the program.

As I type this right now however, I have the student version of Maya installing (well trial if you count the fact that I get an error every time I try to get a serial code).

With that in mind, what's the best 3D modelling program you can recommend me that does modelling, animation and pretty much everything I would NEED for a game yet still manages to be simple?

I use Blender only for minor model adjustments because it is free :) I would watch the Blender tutorials and start off easy. You might decide you love it.

3DSMax seems to be popular and it is free if you are a student.

You can also do some minor model adjustments in OutfitStudio...

Good Luck

• 11 months later...

not sure how old this post is but Blender is not friendly for fist timers it has no tutorials unless you look for them.

Zbrush on the other hand is industry-standard software that has the Zbrush classroom hundreds of hours of professionally made tutorials, in addition to youtube videos. Zbrush is the easiest software for 3D modellers to start with.

not sure how old this post is but Blender is not friendly for fist timers it has no tutorials unless you look for them.

Blender does have a bit of a steep learning curve so that's a valid point. I've never used zbrush so I can't comment on how it compares.

Your tutorial comment doesn't make much sense. Blender has plenty of tutorials. Blender Noob to Pro is an excellent online resource. There are also tons and tons of youtube videos about Blender.

Blender is also free. Zbrush appears to be rather expensive. $40 / month for a single user may be fine for professional use, but that is well beyond the budget of most modders.

3DS Max has free versions but I'm not sure if that works for all game modding.

Note that a lot of games require very specific versions of programs. I happen to mod Fallout New Vegas for example, and the only version of Blender that really works for that game is version 2.49b due to the fact that the nif import/export tools do not work properly for later versions. The nif tools for 3DS Max also only work for certain versions, though since I do not use 3DS Max I couldn't tell you what those versions are.

As far as I am aware, Zbrush doesn't support the nif format, so unless they have added support for that format in the last few years you can't use Zbrush at all to mod Bethesda games like Fallout 3/New Vegas, Skryim, Obvlivion, etc. So the question becomes not just what is the easiest/best program to use, but what programs actually work for the games that you want to create mods for.

Blender is by far the most popular 3d modeller among game modders simply because of the cost. You can't beat free.

Zbrush on the other hand is industry-standard software that has the Zbrush classroom hundreds of hours of professionally made tutorials, in addition to youtube videos. Zbrush is the easiest software for 3D modellers to start with.

You misunderstood. Blender does not have any tutorials that are officially released by blender that you don't have to google search yourself and are scattered about youtube by third parties which may or may not be effective tools to learn with. They also may have conflicting information or be inneffective instructors or waste your development time.

Zbrush on the other hand comes with access to the ZBrush classroom which includes videos from industry giants like Micheal Pavolich hundreds of specific videos that are designed to teach people how to learn Zbrush in effective easy to learn stages without youtube searching. As in it's MUCH quicker to learn zbrush as a whole then it is blender.

As for the Nif format that's not even remotely important as you can export most STL and 3D files into the blender then learn to export them in less than a minute. Whether or not ZBrush natively supports NIFF is entirely irrelevant. Most 3D modellers worth their salt use multiple programs. And a five-minute video on exporting a mesh into a nif format is easy.

Blender is a program that will hinder your development as a professional if used exclusively. Zbrush will not. Niff or not the topic was what's the easiest software to learn. Zbrush takes the cake as the easiest software to learn. It also has hotkeys but they are not required to use it. Therefore you don't require extensively learning hotkeys. Ease of accessibility as well for Zbrush. As far as features, as for 3D modelling, Zbrush crushes blender in every possible way.

Lastly Blender is foremost an animation software with 3D modelling software tacked on. Zbrush is a professional grade 3D modelling software that is industry standard. It is necessary to land you a job if you're lucky get the opportunity. Learning exclusively blender will close doors for your career.

It should be noted that most professionals use multiple programs for different reasons. I use four programs including zbrush and blender.

I'm not saying Blender is bad I am saying that it's not a place that people starting out as 3D modellers should use.

In addition, 3D modelling is not recommended without an extensive understanding of art fundamentals, anatomy, and creativity start there first. I mean that do not skip on anatomy or your fundamentals. You need a strong foundation to be successful.

3D sculpting software is unique compared to CAD based engineering software. I would not recommend blender in place of Solid Works or other CAD based programs. Nor would I recommend z brush in place of Solid works for engineering

To conclude Start with art fundementals or go home. After about a year of study get Zbrush or learn in parallel , pick up blender once you've studied Zbrush for a year, however you will be better of with Maya then blender.

As for your last comment again actually no you can beat free. Learning blender can and will hold your career back if used exclusively. Just because it is free does not mean it is good if you want a job you should learn Maya and Zbrush and photoshop. Blender will hinder your development as a 3D modeller take you longer to master and isn't industry standard. If time = money and it does. Blender will in fact cost you more money then Zbrush.

Skills learnt in Zbrush are transferable, the skills learnt in blender are transferable to a lesser degree. Just because something is free does not mean it will be useful.

Edited by richroots

You realize you are posting this to a game modding site, right?

While there are some professional modelers here (and they do absolutely fantastic work) the vast majority of modders here are hobbyists who have no intention whatsoever of becoming professional modelers. All they want to do is create a few assets for their mods.

Zbrush is a horrible recommendation for hobbyists. $40 per month is fine if you are a professional working in a game development studio. For a hobbyist, it's ridiculously expensive.

There is a reason Blender is the most popular 3d modelling tool on the Nexus.

You realize you are posting this to a game modding site, right?

While there are some professional modelers here (and they do absolutely fantastic work) the vast majority of modders here are hobbyists who have no intention whatsoever of becoming professional modelers. All they want to do is create a few assets for their mods.

Zbrush is a horrible recommendation for hobbyists. $40 per month is fine if you are a professional working in a game development studio. For a hobbyist, it's ridiculously expensive.

There is a reason Blender is the most popular 3d modelling tool on the Nexus.

And that isn't relevant to the stated topic at all. And is a narrow-minded view of 3D modelling skill set to limit the use to one specific program. I don't understand what your issue is you're talking to an industry professional and I have given solid useful advice. Some of the modders in this particular community don't use blender or Zbrush and solely use outfit studio exclusively. I fail to see why you hung up on niff being the defining factor here. As I've stated MOST 3D modellers use multiple programs. STL files the main 3D file that the majority of none CAD based software use is transferable between multiple programs. It is simply a matter of using a superior program to export a 3D file from Zbrush to Blender or outfit studio and then export it as a Niff. Something you don't need a mastery of Blender to learn how to do and can be learned in less then 10 minutes.

There is no reason to start with blender except to waste your time. The topic is specifically which 3D programs are good for beginners. I have answered the topic and provided context. What makes you think that I'm suggesting NOT to use only one program?

Your statement is moot and irrelevant sorry to say but it isn't relevant to the topic of whether or not a program can use NIFFs or not is not a factor in people learning 3D modelling. I go on to actually state that people should LEARN multiple programs and recommend learning both Zbrush and Blender.

So I don't understand what point you're trying to make here other than showing you lack practical experience in the field, and don't have a grasp of 3D modelling beyond a laymen understanding of the software.

No offense meant. But you're stuck on the idea that somehow being able to export a niff is something that's important when it's not. Simply Import and STL file from a superior easier to learn software in either outfit studio or blender then export it as a niff.

I don't see a problem with my analysis of which 3D software is friendly for beginners.

Edited by richroots

I don't see a problem with my analysis of which 3D software is friendly for beginners.

Apparently you didn't bother to read my last post.

The problem is that you are addressing a group of mostly hobbyists, not professional modelers.

I stand by my assertion that for us idiot hobbyists that you love to disparage, Blender is by far the tool of choice.

If you are a professional modeler, or want to become a professional modeler, I can't help you. I can't afford professional level tools, not for something that is just a hobby. Zbrush may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't know, and I'll never know. $40 per month is ridiculously expensive for a hobbyist.

And that is all that I have to say on the subject. I'm sure you'll come back and tell me how wrong I am. You haven't even come close to convincing me that I need to shell out close to $500 per year just to do what I can already do for free.

• 4 months later...

Blender is really awkward. But 3DS is surprisingly intuitive (almost) if you know a bit about 3D (familiar words, some basic geometry, etc :D). There were a few others like LR3D, MilkShape3D, meshlab, Rhino. MS3D is like Paint - basic features, but lots of import/export plug-ins. Not sure if it's being developed currently tho.